1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler Parsons Improving Offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pge71188, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

he reminds me of trevor ariza. Hollinger made that comparison and I can't get it out of my head. He's a little less athletic, but like Ariza he can play defense, pass, make athletic plays, will take shots from deep that he doesn't make. Probably has a slightly better handle.

2. dreamshakin

dreamshakin Member

Chandler has improved is effort and game play impressively over the past few games. Its even more astounding that he was our second round pick and was not expected to get minutes over morris, and better yet be a starter. I hope Morris can improve his game the way Parsons has and be in the rotation. I hope he gets good enough so that him and Parsons can play together on the floor someday :)

3. smuduffy

smuduffy Member

I really can't believe you are watching the games, if you are scouting him like this. Dude is 6'10 driving into crowded lanes and scoring around Garnett. I've noticed that his confidence is getting a lot better with the ball. He is more confident to shoot, more confident to drive and honestly at times he is our BEST driver to the basket because he's simply willing to drive in the lane. Any comparison to Twill skills is silly b/c as much as we say Twill has skills, when you actually watch him drive, he just dribbles, tries to drive and then doesn't know how to finish. Parson's drives and finishes. I think he's a better ball handler than Twill because he makes good passes (not flashy), when he drives it is with purpose, and he has better court awareness of where everyone is.

I think he'll get his three to where he is hitting it and free throws up. But, I just love watching hustlers and Lowry, Parsons, and Scola all fit that bill.

4. HorneR

HorneR Member

As long as he can consistently hit the open midrange 2, and continues to improve from the perimeter he'll be fine.

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If he adds a 40% 3-point shot and the ability to pull up from 2 and shoot 45-50%, he's an All-Star. He's got everything else. Shooting is the only thing he needs.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The only thing he and Ariza have in common is they are long.

Parsons is a much better one on one defender - Ariza plays the passing lanes and gets burned a lot.

Parsons is a much better dribbler - Ariza can't dribble at all.

Parsons is a much better passer - Ariza is too busy trying to control the ball.

Parsons is a much better creator and finisher around the rim - Ariza..lol.

They both are not good at the long ball, but Parsons has way better form.

Think of it this way, he was a 2nd round pick and he has rendered our first round pick, a star at Kansas, moot......

Parsons also is a much smarter player, Ariza is a dumbass.

DD

1 person likes this.
  7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

2 years from now, you will agree with me like most other posters do when i say what I see. He's a 2 dribble guy going to the rack. No change of direction, no wiggle,and no ability to stop and pop. He's a good athlete and he plays hard, thats it. Nothing special. Just another guy in the pot like patterson,chase,courtney and the list goes on. I never said he couldn't be a sloid starter, but thats his ceiling. He's not an all star or near all star guy. He's not tayshaun,bob horry,jefferson, or any other average to above average sf to play now or in years past. He's just a guy,nothing more,nothing less.

8. jopatmc

Would you agree that if he develops the stop-n-pop off the dribble into a 45% + efficiency and a 40% 3-point spot up shot that he will be an All Star?

9. leebigez

he's not a better defender than trevor. I've seen trevor guard aaron brooks,kobe, and whomever. Trevor tried to do too much in houston, but when he got back with new orleans and became the role player again, he was just fine. Parson isn't a better creator either. i think both are average at best. Don't let your hatred for ariza blind you. Same kind of dudes basically.

10. jopatmc

Mmmmm, I strongly disagree with your analysis of their handles. Parsons has shown me he can bring the ball up in a hurry, in traffic, while scanning the floor, and make a good decision with the pass or drive to the rim. While he is not a point guard with change of direction, he is superior to most players his size with his handle and change of direction with the dribble. Ariza can do none of that. He's a head-down dribbler that basically chases the bouncing ball around. There's a huge difference to their handles.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Parsons has guarded the same range of players as Ariza...Ariza just has experience on him. What kept Ariza from breaking out was basketball IQ and handles. Parsons has both, as a rookie, but what keeps him from breaking out is shooting. If he can just get it his 3p/ft to 33%/70%, he'll definitely be better than ariza, without question.

Handles look fine:

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IaAw3sD1m-A?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IaAw3sD1m-A?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

12. leebigez

You can say that about every player in the league cant you? I mean if marvin williams could stop and pop at 45% and shot 40% from 3, we would be talking about kevin durant. Fact of the matter is I highly doubt he all of a sudden becomes a consistent offensive player when he really have never been one. He shot 60% in college and average 11 pts or so, but now he's going to be all star caliber?

13. leebigez

Most guys at his position are 6-8/6-9. He's not oversized and he's not bringing the ball up in traffic. He will act as a pressure release. Tayshaun can bring the ball up and set the offense up under pressure. Ok, before this sounds like the typical leebigez bash thread, who or what is his ultimate upside right now? What kind of player do you see chandler parsons as? Maybe once we get that out of the way, then we can keep moving forward.

14. jopatmc

AK-47 if he gets a jumper.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

"ultimate upside" is not going to be a question that will help this discussion. What about "reasonable upside." I think it is reasonable to say that Parsons will be better than Ariza ... which makes him a legit starter in this league. And he can guard multiple positions. We've seen it.

He's arguably better than Battier, too, albeit a different type of scorer.

As already said, the only thing Ariza has on Parsons on defense is experience knowing what specific NBA players like to do and can't do. As he develops a book of how to guard each player, he'll be even better.

I agree that we haven't seen anything to tells us he'll be able to score like Tayshun did/does...low post moves, spin moves facing up, etc. It would be shear speculation to say he'll learn to be as good as Tayshun.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Nah ...Parsons don't block shots like AK-47 did, but I like the comparison.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not the same type of defender. Not a good comparison, imo. He doesn't have AK-47s length to be that type of blocker, and AK doesn't have the agility to cover PGs.

18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I've seen another poster compare Chandler to former Sixer Bobby Jones. Jones was a strong defender who actually scored 14pts per early in his career. Jones was a sixth man of the year winner, a 4 time Nba all star and a vital cog on a star driven 1983 championship team in Philly. Not sayin Chandler is going to be an all star but the comparison fits. I'm sure Mchale has made the comparison since he played against Jones.

I think this could be Chandler's ceiling, and not a bad one at that.

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Thanks DD for cursing Parsons.

20. jopatmc

Bobby Jones never had the handle this kid has.