1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler Parsons: Carlisle and Cuban view me as a star and a franchise-max player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 13, 2014.

1. ed_t

ed_t Member

Carlisle and Cuban probably did not expect the Rockets not matching the offer.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I think they expect them to. Cuban thought Lebron was going back to Cleveland.

They wanted to make it harder for us to match.

3. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

mavs took a chance and paid a guy about to enter his prime rather than pay a guy past his prime.

4. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

good, im glad that they do, but i know we aint paying $15 million a year for a non star.

5. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

It was win/win for Cuban. He either makes us worse or eliminates competition for future star free agents.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Even better, he makes us worse while putting himself in a position to try and lure Howard when he gets to opt out of his deal. If Parsons takes the extra step towards being a legit star, it'll be too easy.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

No I agree with you. I honestly liked the 2009 approach better than now. I remember people always criticizing morey for landing mediocre role players but never the stars, now that we have the stars morey seems to have lost the Ability to pick up role players. Instead he is going to this swing for the fence approach almost willing to gut everyone for one player.

Either way, paying chandler the max is neither swing for the fence nor picking up low cost role players for harden and Howard. I think Ariza signing is a good start to building a true support squad, not paying chandler 15 mil

8. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Oh Chandler, and you believed them?

You also said you were the best SF in the POR series, and look where that got us.

You are now a max player. Good luck on how Dirk and Tyson and Monte treat you in the locker room.

Last year, his head really got too big for him. It must be Fegan's influence. LOL

9. Midrangej

Midrangej Member

He's going to have a great season at Mavs....too many haters on here....Parsons was so good for us and now he's going to fit in well at Mavs....plus I think he got pissed with Mchale's inability to rein in Harden. They got a great coach, HOF Dirk and now the rest, plus he can take more shots, and he will still be doing all the things that he does so well, run the floor, cut.....

Parsons can't carry a franchise, but he's good enough to be a 1b/c...(Dirk and Monta being interchangeable 1a/b)

10. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Chandler is not a #1 option. I still remember how he couldn't get off a decent shot vs MEM in the dying seconds when we made a play for him. That was even after he had hit 10 3pters.

Over there he'll be getting shots playing alongside Dirk and Monte. When Dirk retires ... DAL is in for a rude awakening.

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

As much as I hate losing Parsons for nothing, especially to the Mavs, it's nice knowing we're basically getting the same player at half the cost in Ariza, assuming he performs the way we expect him to. I won't fully judge Morey's offseason until it's over and hopefully he has one or two signings still to come, but man this Parsons situation sucks. Serious misstep on his part, but if he can swing 1 or 2 real contributors to go along with Ariza, the offseason might be salvaged, I suppose.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The thing is, paying Parsons $15M doesn't prevent you from building a "true support squad," Morey could have kept Parsons, added Ariza, and still have plenty of resources to add role players. He could have still used some combination of the $8.4M Lin TPE (or alternatively use Lin's contract to take in up to $12.6M in incoming salary via a trade, more if in combination of other contracts), the MLE, the BAE, draft picks for trade, etc.

The one thing that paying Parsons $15M prevents Morey from doing is to open up "max cap room" and chase a star in summer 2015.

13. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

They are not the same player. Parsons moves without the ball, is better at finding ways to score.

Ariza is a defender who stands at the 3 point line.

14. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Pretty obvious to me these people want to ignore any scenario that bursts there morey is god bubble.

15. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

you want harden gone... harden doesnt go
    you wanna keep parsons, parsons leaves
    Carl, whatever you want, just express the opposite, i see a trend here. :D

16. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

i remember him saying that we were the top team in the league after a nice run we had then we had injuries to bev and someone else and it fell apart. the whole time dwight kept saying " we have to be humble. we aren't done yet etc etc etc"

parsons big head.

17. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

That ego of Parsons...

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It just got too much to handle for a 2nd rounder.

Kudos to him but he is clearly overwhelmed by all this shet that is around the NBA when you put up decent stats.

19. yunac010

yunac010 Member

Parsons wanted out of Houston cause he didn't like being an afterthought to Harden and Dwight, but he was only as good as he was because teams were focused on Harden and Dwight. Even Lin got double teamed more than Parsons did.

I was never a fan of Parsons after his first year, but I still wish we matched. Hate losing him for nothing.

20. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Yeah. My brother in-law who is a Wizards fan said their were whole games in the playoffs where Ariza just stood around the 3 pt line waiting for the ball to come to him passively which killed them at times.