1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler Parsons: Carlisle and Cuban view me as a star and a franchise-max player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 13, 2014.

1. TheJet

TheJet Member

This is what I was getting at in my earlier post. Can he improve into a legit all star player? Sure. Will he ever be the man, the cornerstone of a team, the go to guy as a franchise max player? I've seen zero indication of that outside of that one game where he went Steve Kerr from the three point line. I think he's a little full of himself and the Dallas offer played right into that.

If he goes 20/10 next year and makes the all star team we can all complain in hindsight, but as of right now I don't think it's the worst thing that he left.

2. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

He'd join 9 other guys on that list that are overpaid. But at least he's young and you can write him down for 75+ games. Half the guys on list have durability issues.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Oh dear, he might be considered an all star someday!

Definitely worth $15 mil.

4. Mr. Clutch

Yes, let's pay Parsons the max because he's healthy.

Great idea!

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Much more of a sharing guard than Monta.

He won't have more responsibility. Parsons had an amazing situation with McHale, and a wonderful pace. He had the ball all the damned time and had a green light to shoot. I guess I have to keep pointing out that Dirk and Monta shoot more per game than Dwight and Harden, even though Dallas plays much slower.

So yes, your numbers are hard to imagine, unless Dirk or Monta miss a lot of time with injuries.

I'll quit beating this horse though. It's a done deal and we all need to move on.

1 person likes this.
  6. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

Nah, you're talking about the old Monta. THis new Monta under Carlisle share more than Harden, not to mention he takes less shots. Monta averaged .4 assists less than Harden, and that's including sharing some ball handling duties with Calderon who himself averages 4.7 assists.

And your point about Dirk and Monta shooting more than D12 and Harden are false because you're not counting free throws. How many games did we see Harden got 5-10 with 26 points or something?? It goes down in the boxscore as 10 shots taken, but you just pretend the 8 shots he took while getting fouled don't count?

7. TheJet

TheJet Member

Well, technically they don't count, yes? Whether or not Harden is only shooting in hopes of drawing a foul (IMO he does that too much) the foul itself cancels out the shot attempt. Yes, I get your point that his intent was to shoot. So if we're calling it actual shots vs. intended shots he should have more. But shouldn't every player? Part of what made Harden efficient was his trips to the line.

And I happen to agree with the original point that Chandler won't be "the man" anymore in Dallas than he was in Houston. He may get a slightly increased role based on what we're seeing on paper. If they feature him as a top option (like he clearly wants) I will be very surprised.

8. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Practically impossible to increase his role any more than it was as a Rocket. He can't be a facilitator or run the PnR. We tried putting him in that role. His skillet is spot up shooting and slashing after that pump fake. He's not better than Kawaii Leonard or Batum

1 person likes this.
  9. yunac010

yunac010 Member

Yeah I can't imagine his numbers would go up significantly in Dallas. While Carlisle will get the best of him, he also won't hesitate to bench Parsons for playing crappy defense or doing something stupid on offense that McHale let slide most of the time. Parsons had a lot more freedom as a Rocket.

That comment from Carlisle about using Parsons from anywhere between a PG and a PF just shows to me that he has no idea what to do with Parsons yet. He and Donnie Nelson are probably still in shock over the contract.

10. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

CP25 is definitely a Cuban kind of guy imo. I can see the two of them as bff's hanging out in the clubs on a nightly basis so Cuban can try to get some of Cp's scraps.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Gotta agree with knickstorm. I think he'll be more of a second option in Dallas while he was third option here. I expect his numbers to go up and for his production to look like it justified his contract. Then, there will be a bunch of people criticizing Morey for passing, just like OKC got for trading away Harden. It's just that there's a law of diminishing returns here -- we have a stronger cast, so the contribution Parsons can make here isn't as big as it will be for Dallas. Chris Bosh had the same problem in Miami, making people think he wasn't worth the max anymore.

12. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

It's worth it if he can do it efficiently but if he is putting up those numbers with a PER of 15 while not being a great defender he isn't worth it. Chandler deserved Batum/Iggy level money.

13. Egghead

Egghead Member

14. Egghead

Egghead Member

Let's dig a little deeper into the numbers of the Mavericks' new $46 million man Chandler Parsons.

*Parsons was just one of six players who averaged at least 16.6 points, 5.5 rebounds and 4.0 assists last season. The other six were LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Kevin Love, Russell Westbrook, Gordon Hayward and Michael Carter-Williams.

*Add a field goal percentage of 45.0 or better to the above statistical category and the list includes only James, Durant, Love and Parsons.

*In terms of rebounding and facilitating, Parsons was one of just nine players to average both 5.5 rebounds and 4.0 assists last season. The others were James, Durant, Love, Joakim Noah, Nicolas Batum, Lance Stephenson, Russell Westbrook and Carter-Williams.

*He's going to get paid in the ballpark of $15 million per year. Looking at small forwards who hovered around $12-15 million last season ( Andre Iguodala, Luol Deng and Paul Pierce), here's where they stack up statistically.

Iguodala: 9.3 points, 4.7 boards, 48 percent shooting & 57% True shooting -- $12.5 million
    Deng: 16.0 points, 5.7 rebounds, 43% percent shooting & 52% True shooting -- $14 million
    Pierce: 13.5 points, 4.6 rebounds, 45% percent shooting & 60% True shooting -- $15 million
    Parsons: 16.6 points, 5.5 rebounds, 47% percent shooting & 56% True shooting

*Pace should come into play as well. Houston was one of the top teams in pace. Adjusting solely to per-100 possessions:
    Pierce: 25/9
    Deng: 24/9
    Iguodala: 14/7
    Parsons: 22/7

*Parsons delivered when teammates delivered the ball to him. He scored 64.4 percent of his points off assists.

*Parsons ran the break hard as 21.4 percent of his points came off fast breaks. He was second on the team in that department behind James Harden (27.3).

*He ranked 17th in the league at 3.7 fast-break points per game (alongside Tyreke Evans and Gordon Hayward). Monta Ellis ranked 25th at 3.1 fast break points.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Don't bite the hand that drafted you and gave you a chance. Kind of a passive aggressive comment if you ask me.

16. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Didn't he have back spasms earlier? Those can be lingering issues

17. Mr. Clutch

18. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I liked Parsons' game, but can you imagine him carrying the load of a James Harden? I don't see it any time soon.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Gross

20. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Parsons is not a "franchise" focal point type of player on the level of:
    LeBron
    Durant
    Love
    Westbrook
    Noah
    Iguodala
    Pierce
    Harden

Is he on the level of Batum, Stephenson, Deng? Open to debate. Don't care what the numbers say. He's not ready to carry any franchise.