1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler Parsons: Carlisle and Cuban view me as a star and a franchise-max player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I'm actually a bit of a fan of calling that contract a poison bill

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Except we could have had dragic, harden, and Howard.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yes, and we could have drafted Kawhi Leonard. Dragic was not a star and still is not. Hindsight is a different argument

4. Mr. Clutch

Yes, interesting. Turkoglu became an albatross contract

5. sushimaster

sushimaster Member

What if Parsons, like Harden did with the Thunder, leaves his team and becomes an All Star with his new team? Maybe even a super star. I hope this doesn't come back to bite us.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I prefer having both, even for that money.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Just not likely. His stats were inflated by our system and he was given infinite rope by our coaching staff. He's got a young gun behind him now, a very efficient player, and a very demanding coach. He'll have slower game pace and fewer shots overall.

8. Mr. Clutch

Do you really think that will happen? I don't.

I remember thinking Harden was definitely worth the max.

9. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yeah, Harden was drafted as high as he was for a reason. For him, it was when, not if, he would blow up.

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Splash. RT <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA">@WojYahooNBA</a>: Free agent Richard Jefferson is finalizing a one-year agreement with Dallas, league source tells Yahoo Sports.</p>&mdash; ClutchFans (@clutchfans) <a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans/statuses/488419658412724224">July 13, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is so great. Clutch showing emotion about south oklahoma and that joke of a franchise

11. TheJet

TheJet Member

This is very interesting. Based on some of the things that Chandler has said it's pretty clear he has a high opinion of himself. Now don't get me wrong, I think all professional athletes need ultimate confidence but there was something about the way Parsons spoke that made me wonder. Remember when he was incredulous about being left off the USA team? Granted, it probably was a slight at the time, but his comments made it sound like the snub was a big insult and his participation should have been a no brainer. Just my opinion, but it sounded like someone that has some entitlement issues. Also, the comment about being the superior player in the Portland series. That was unnecessary and pretty much backfired.

I like Chandler's game. I thought he was a good glue guy and better than a role player. He had flashes of very good play on offense. However I never really saw him as a great creator. He did OK off picks and screens but I don't recall seeing him beat his man off the dribble very often. He also had a bunch of open shots due to James and Dwight drawing so much attention.

My bottom line thoughts were:
    * Sorry to see him go, but totally understood why.
    * He was such a good value player because of his contract. His new contract would require him to pretty much be an all star to justify value.
    * He may have overestimated himself (time will bear this out).
    * Wasn't too thrilled at the Ariza signing unless he really has improved his shooting per last year. Again, I understand why and it's not the end of the world.
    * Waiting for the other shoe to drop on a PF and bench upgrades.

12. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

That and his role in Dallas will be basically be the same as it was here. Third option primarily. Is there anybody that thinks when it comes to winning games Dirk will not the number one option? Monta next. They got better upgrade for Vince Carter. We made a lateral move and are the almost the same team. Just need a backup center. And some more depth on bench. We weren't winning a championship with that much money tied into 3 players. Simple as that. And if people think that he is so important to Rockets winning a championship I will wager a bet that Mavericks will not win a championship with Parsons. Have a 100 dollars on it for the the tip jar if they do.

#272 nickb492, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  13. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

He would have looked better on this team than he will on that one. That's gonna make that contract look even heavier than it would have here.

14. sushimaster

sushimaster Member

Do you really have to ask me that?
    Why would I post a question if I didn't think it was a possibility?
    Yes I think Parsons might continue improving to the point where he is considered and All Star and I'm worried it might come back to bite us in the future.

15. lowlife

lowlife Member

Sorry but this guy is an idiot.

"Best SF in series"
    "Franchise max player"

Really?

You should be happy Rockets fans.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The Mavs are going to slowly and painfully slide into total obscurity over the next 3 years and I'm going to enjoy every freaking minute of it.

17. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

He put up 16-6-4 as a #3 option with a ball dominant guard.

With more responsibility in Dallas, is it at hard to imagine him doing a 18-7-5?? That kind of production is worth 15 mill.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

^ You forgot male model.

On a serious note- Chandler's not an idiot. He's marketing himself. He knows he's sacrificing winning in order to get self glory. Dallas fans.... they have a way of convincing themselves that their guys are the greatest of all time. That's all fine too... I wish he had a little bit more loyalty and homerism around here, and less cynicism.

However, what I am getting at is that Parsons & Cuban will be able to fool Dallas into thinking he's a superstar, and that whole saying "perception is reality" really will ring true in this situation.

I fully expect that Parsons will have a much more glorified stat line next year, will be marketed like crazy, and might even make the All-Star team. But just like with Gogi, and others that left the Rockets and exploded elsewhere.... he was never going to be "The Guy" in Houston.

#278 dobro1229, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  19. lowlife

lowlife Member

Check this, do you really think Parsons belongs to that list:

20. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

LOL, they already got Tyson Chandler and Chandler Parsons.....Jefferson is a cherry on top.