1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler Parsons: Carlisle and Cuban view me as a star and a franchise-max player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Hmmm, trigger happy shooting guard, defensive center with limited post up game, and a stretch power forward that can not defend.
    Wonder how his role will change.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If you can't have success with Cat, Franchise, Yao, Tmac, Scola, Harden, Howard then yeah, long term it all falls back to Morey and Les.

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

T.Jones has Stromile Swift's IQ on defense. The guy is either way out of position or doing something that makes you go WTF always killing the rotation? Parsons' problem on defense was how he tried to do too much to cover for his teammates.

Look back to Parsons' rookie year with Scola. Scola's a bad defender but he hit his spots knew where he had to be.

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Remember this, guys?

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/01/15/chandler-parsons-houston-rockets-daryl-morey#ixzz2qUbl72T6

The writing was on the wall the whole time. I'm glad (at least) that Morey stuck to his guns.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

Personnel problem. Playing defense in between Harden & T.Jones will challenge any player who's good at it. Who assembled this roster?

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

This basically comes down to who is a star and who are supporting cast members. The trajectory of a player is often seen within the 1st four years of a player being in the league. The Rockets believe that he is almost at his peak. Based on that particular projection, there is zero reason to bill Parsons as a franchise player.

Elite players often times have a skill set that places them in the top five of their respective positions throughout the league. Parsons has logged significant minutes as a Houston Rocket, but yet to show one elite level talent throughout his tenure. Basically does everything decently...If a team is willing to pay a superstar glue guy the max...thats on them. Mavs took a gamble, and time will either vindicate or crucify the decision the Rockets made on Parsons.

If the Rockets were willing to pay Parsons if Bosh was in the fold, tells you that the Rockets were willing to spend any amount on Parsons. The issue actually has nothing to do with how much the Rockets were willing to pay Parsons...It has everything to do with financial flexibility. His contract is going to get a full 46 million plus value. Trade kickers and player options should rarely be given...Chandler's agent negotiated both.
    a.If Parsons becomes that max value player, his next contract will pay him very handsomely...
    b.If he maintains his current trajectory as a player, his next contract is still going to be more(especially based on projected TV earnings)...
    c.If Parsons totally bombs out, he will be thankful for the money the Mavs gave him and will essentially never see a contract that large again.

Ive basically bolded what I think will happen with Parsons as he enters his prime years.

1 person likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Parsons is 25 and going to be 26, if he cannot blow up in 1-2 years he won't be a star.

Nice risk the Mavs are taking. It really comes down to 1 or 2 years.
    At best I think he will be a marginal starlet.

8. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

I don't want him to fail but I don't want him to succeed either. I still like the guy and think he's a good person, but he's not on our team anymore. If the Rockets play well, then I will probably support Parsons in his career, but if the Rockets really suck, I probably won't support him.

Regardless he'll probably get like 19 ppg, 5 rbg, 4 apg, but his efficiency numbers will drop. Probably like 43% from the field and like 35% from 3. Still not bad, but that's probably his ceiling.

He's a nice third wheel, but not a primary star, not by a long shot. That's why I want to retain him, but it's all good.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He has actually enough time to prove he can get close to 20 ppg with decent FG efficiency

10. HCA

HCA Member

They are wrong. We watched him since his rookie season. Who knows if he is worth the max better than rockets management and fans that are not homers?

They just want to sell this move to the fans to keep selling tickets.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah. I agree. At this time we have tracked him from his earlier days with the Gators, his time with Cholet in France.

Mavs are just a group of bandwagoners squeezing the last ooze out of Dirk who will be declining. Mark my words.

12. CCapps

CCapps Contributing Member

I don't know if this has been pointed out yet or not but let's not forget that parsons wasn't even the "best three in the Portland series" that he claimed to be. Batum was much better. I agree parsons did the little things and was our glue guy but I don't think the team is as bad off as everyone thinks. I'm worried about Dwight and Harden being pissed but hopefully it's not as big of a deal as I think it is.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Parsons has made a lot out of being a second round pick but he also opens his mouth far more then he can back it up. This seems like just more of that.

Any mention of how Morey let him out of his contract so he could get paid? He's a traitor now and he plays for the ****ing mavs.

14. Exiled

Exiled Member

From Mav's forum:

@espn_macmahon: Just got off the phone with Rick Carlisle, who said he plans on playing Chandler Parsons everywhere from point guard to power forward.

I think it is a good start for CP

Ppl here were made @me suggesting Harden should play 1, Jones as 3.

I should sign a contract with Cuban too:eek:

15. Remii

Remii Member

Yea, that's the same thing OKC said about Harden...

16. Panda23

Panda23 Member

he can't blow up. he's not athletic enough. every 'superstar' in this league has some truely elite physical attributes that allows them to seperate from the herd.

Parsons has average length, 6'9 wingspan on a 6'9 foward is crap in the nba,
    He isn't amazingly quick/explosive, his handle isn't good enough and probably never will be.

he is now getting paid superstar money. hell he's making 5m more than Dirk.

It why people hold out hope players like John Wall to take the next step, because of that truely elite athleticism, Parsons doesn't have that

He is what he is, a glue guy on steroids, but he's maxed out and not going to enter the tier of 'star' or whatever you want to call it as far as I'm concerned.

17. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

You really think he can be that efficient? I mean for us, he just had to stand in the corner or get the ball and drive. He never had to create for himself. In Dallas, he's gonna have to and usually when players who can't create for themselves are forced to, they take bad shots.

18. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Larry Bird wasn't athletic.

Sorry lol. I'm playing devil's advocate. I totally agree with you though. Parsons can't really become a star. We haven't seen that "it" factor. Just good role player guy.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Parsons has all the ingredients to be a star. He will mature and so will his game. You can't coach a guy his size to have the kind of skills he does. He shot is amazing. He will develop into an all-star.

Morey is assessing him on what he is today not what he will be. And that is the mistake. Dallas will be the ones with the last laugh here.

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Cuban and Carlisle obviously don't know about the DD curse or they never would have offered more than the MLE.