1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler as Point Forward/Guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yodels, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

There is lots of talk of Parson's defense, but I want to focus on something else: chron.com has an article what the Rockets coaches are thinking:
    http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/03/rockets-consider-using-rookie-parsons-at-point-guard/

I had the same thought long ago, but didn't think the coaches would consider it. I know those who don't play a lot or watch a lot of basketball wouldn't appreciate his passes, but there is a nice rhythm to them. Many passes in general are half a second too late or a bit off target, but Parson's are generally good.

He also has above average spatial awareness and good anticipation of defenders' intentions...

Parsons can develop in so many different ways, but it maybe worth it to play him at point and suffer through a couple mistakes...this is a guy that needs to be pushed because he is not fully aware of his capabilities...

As a point guard, I like his height (Magic-Johnson-like), first step on the drive/penetration, decision making as a player. I usually like my points to be steady shooters, something that Parsons isn't but he is getting better in this department too...

#1 Yodels, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  2. brokebackTmac

brokebackTmac Member

so is Parsons a point forward?

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It's not a bad idea...it's what really sets apart Parsons from the comparisons he got early in the year (novak, budinger). He's a much more complete player and showed he had the ability in college. Considering Dragic can play some 2-guard, it may just work out. This is probably the best time to try it, while Lowry is out.

4. Yodels

Point forward or guard, it doesn't matter. He can defend 3-4 positions. What we call him on offense with the ball in his hands depends mainly who is on the floor with him...heck, sometimes as a change of pace Dragic/Lowry could play off the ball...

5. dragonz

dragonz Member

The truth is a good PG you don't look at his assist # first, its about how the ball can be secured in his hands.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

There's a play from the Laker game, 4th qrtr, 4:50 left....Parsons has the ball at the 3ptline and Ron is on him...gasol comes over when scola sets a pick and now ron and gasol are on Parsons...he splits them with a low dribble and took it to the rim. That's a point forward.

7. Yodels

An assist obviously takes 2 people -- a pass that leads to a score. I don't always look at this either as the pass can be good and the receiver botches up the play or the pass could be bad and a good offensive player can cover it up...

Not to the effect of American Football, but I agree that ball security affects winning/losing close games.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Actually, can the Rockets use Parsons similar to how Adelman used his bigs in the high post? Seems like his height and versatility makes him a prime candidate for that.

9. Burko

Burko Member

or a slashing 3?

A point is responsible for running the offense, not just dribbling to the hoop.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If he can pull this off, he will be untouchable. Did I mention I <3 the kid.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'd rather have Lee running the point.

Chandler has a lot of things going for him, but ball handling and running the break are not his two strongest suits.

I can't see him as anything other than an emergency or situation pointguard.

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Parsons as pg? Can't be worse than Flynn and not far from c.lee at point.

13. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Nothing is as bad as flynn at point.

14. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Can't wait to see it in action. Oh, wait, I can't watch Rockets games. Someone PLEASE (in anticipation of this thread being bumped up tomorrow or after the game) put together a highlight of Parsons playing point forward. Thanks in advance.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Actually when the Rockets first drafted Parsons I remember writing on here that he could be a "Brad Miller" type of player offensively on the back end of his career when he looses his athleticism, but gets bigger and stronger to defend the post better.

Right now, as he has great food speed and quickness off the dribble that other teams are going to be put a wing player on him so you really couldn't use him to space the floor on the high post if you wanted to. If McHale went small ball, and put Parsons out as the Center, other teams could put a Bynum type of big out there and punish Parsons on the other end. Maybe on the back end of his career he will play the post, but for now he's best suited as a wing.

That being said, he's still a matchup problem for alot of opposing teams and can do alot of things that a player like Lamar Odom circa 2007. Right now he can be that sort of swizz army knife type of player, but also lock up guys on defense.

He's going to have a long career in the NBA, but Im not sure he's selfish enough to ever be proclaimed a "Star" player who puts up huge numbers. That being said though, he's a very good asset for this team to get alot of public exposure, ads, media face time interviews etc as well as great play on the court. The guy really carries himself great, is well spoken, and has a good sense of humor that could be alot more marketable for this franchise then you might think.

16. aball1991

aball1991 Member

To be fair, that play was sick, however, there were a few other plays in that same game where parsons was on the perimeter and he was stripped by Kobe or Ron. He sometimes seems very uncomfortable with the ball in his hands on the perimeter. Why fix something that isn't broke? We have a solid sf.

17. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

At Florida (fav college team), when parsons had the ball in his hands good things always happened...he has great passing ability, can see over top of most defenders on him, good handling and awareness..don't know about him being a point guard but definatly a guy to run the ball through...I love his game and love McHale for putting more and more faith in parsons! Fav player!

18. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Sometimes I forget he is 6'10''. He handles the ball well for a man that size.

19. conquistador#11

he almost had this nashty(bullard word) assist where he went around his defender, juked him, and placed a gorgeous pass to luifa.one problem though, luifa forgot to roll to the basket.

20. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I think this would be awesome. Not sure how long he could be a full time PG but he would be a good backup while Lowry is still out. We could play really big with Parsons playing point