1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chad Ford's Mock Draft, Version 1.0

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Rockets34Legend, May 6, 2010.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Most major busts are players from either high school, europe, or lower levels of college. Players at the high college level get their game dissected and are usually easier to translate.

I was always weary of taking a person out of Pacific #1 overall.

2. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I disagree, I think Europe is a much better place (Euro league) for younger players. The management and coaches dissect the games of young players just as much as they do in the NCAA, if not more. Also add in the fact that they are playing against professionals, not undersized amateurs.

Also, it's the talent level of the player as well, those players who were bust, simply did not have the work ethic or had flawed games to begin with.

3. Chamillionaire

i like him. if he lives up to his "potential" he would be a nice fit next to Yao. not sure if he can play the post, but that's something he can learn after he puts on more weight.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

This is fallacy in reasoning. The most talented players will always leave school early to come to the NBA, hence they make up vast majority of potential busts. Low ceiling seniors are less likely to be busts simply because no one ever has expectations for them. You think anyone would care if Aaron Brooks had just spiraled into obscurity like the fans thought he would on draft day.

Before the days when players left school early, the NBA draft lottery was no less volatile in nature. For example, Sam Bowie and Micheal Jordan were both seniors...

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

thought jordan was a junior.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I want Patrick Patterson...

7. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

so do I... in more ways than one.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

:cool:

9. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Same here, the bigmen available are just not talented enough IMO. I think theres a 70% chance he trades the pick, and if not, don't expect us to draft for NEED.
    Need of a bigman that can help win NOW will be found in the FA, not in a draft full of projects.

I see us picking up Xavier Henry if we decide not to trade the pick. Ship out JT.

Lowry
    Henry
    Chase/Ariza (rather have Batman starting)
    Hill
    Hayes

is a fun 2nd team to watch.

10. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Do you really want another undersized PF? How about a 7-0+ center? Or a taller PG with superior court vision and passing skill? I'd much rather have Aldrich, Whiteside or Alabi than Patterson. Heck, I'd much rather have the Russian kid, Alexey Shved, than Patterson.

11. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

Lolwut?

Alexey Shved? Have you even seen him play? :grin:

12. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E37MBYJ-w7k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E37MBYJ-w7k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

In this video, he says Scola is his favorite NBA player. :cool:

13. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Can't be worse than another munchkin PF like Patterson. Chuck Hayes by himself puts us over the munchkin quota.

14. Coherent

Coherent Member

Undersized PF's play with heart though, plus Patterson has a 7+ foot wingspan, he has freakishly long arms which make up for his height

Carlos Boozer
    Paul Milsap
    Chuck Hayes
    Elton Brand
    DeJuan Blair
    Taj Gibson
    David West
    Carl Landry

Thats just to name a few of the undersized power forwards in the league, and there is probably only like 3 more, because teams tend to find bigger power forwards, but of that list, those are all great players.

Patterson in my eyes is a much better talent then Michael Beasley coming out. Patterson is a athlete with a great motor and IQ for the game.

15. Coherent

Coherent Member

Personally though, I have Patterson gone before us, unless we can nab a 8-11 pick. I would really love Udoh though, he is very underrated. A 6'10 guy who reminds me of a more defensive Chris Bosh. He puts the ball on the floor very well, just needs to add range to his shot.

16. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Udoh has range out to like, 20 ft. He hit a few 3's the past season. I mean, he's a much better shooter from mid-range, but I don't adding range is priority #1 for him.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Please keep the pick!!! I would be so sad If we packaged all our picks! :(

I love watching players develop...

18. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

He does have long arms but lets not get carried away here, he only has a 7'2 wingspan, which is the same as McGrady.... Heck Patterson, measures the same as Mcgrady... Both 6'8/ with 7'2 wingspan's, but the difference is McGrady played on the perimeter while Patterson will play inside....

Carlos Boozer, Taj Gibson , David West are all around the 6'10 range with each possessing a 7'2+ wingspan.... So I wouldn't consider any of this guys undersized...

Better "talent" than former #2 pick overall, Micheal Beasley, ehh I'm not sure, Yes he has better IQ and motor(that's for sure), but I doubt his skill level is any where near Beasley's

19. Coherent

Coherent Member

Udoh does have range, but it isn't consistent and he hesitates to much on his shot.

As for Patterson, you don't think he can come into the NBA and score 14 ppg and 6 boards? I don't think thats much to ask. He reminds me of Kenyon Martin before the knee injuries.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Because this Draft is deep with Big men I hope we don't settle for a project of reach for a PF/C.

If there is talent like Xavier Henry is on the board you have to take him.