1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chad Ford] Ranking NBA draft prospects by tiers

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by redhotrox, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Chamillionaire

I like Grant's size, but he doesn't shoot particularly well. I feel the same way about Wright. With Harden and Howard, ideally you'd like at least 2 3 point shooters out there. With that in mind, Russell, Payne, Tyus Jones in that order if we're looking for PG's.

I think we're trading both picks though.

2. Chamillionaire

At least at 18, we know one of these guys will be there.

Tier 4

Devin Booker, SG, Kentucky

Sam Dekker, F, Wisconsin

Jerian Grant, G, Notre Dame

Stanley Johnson, G/F, Arizona

Frank Kaminsky, F/C, Wisconsin

Kevon Looney, F, UCLA

Trey Lyles, PF, Kentucky

Kelly Oubre, G/F, Kansas

Cameron Payne, PG, Murray State

Bobby Portis, PF, Arkanas

Myles Turner, F/C, Texas

3. Chamillionaire

We need SHOOTERS.

I guess Looney would fall into that stretch 4 / 5 group. Booker would be sweet.

4. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

I think Looney and Grant both will be, but who knows. I'm not high on Lyles at all. Too slow, too soft. I love Portis, though. In the right situation, he'll be a really solid big. Maybe lacking all-star potential, but I think he could get close with his motor and versatile skill-set. As a longhorn, Myles is my guy, but he's a project. Not ready for solid NBA minutes yet (but neither was Clint). Oubre's lack of handle and ability to change speeds is going to make him a spot-up shooter on offense so I don't buy him as more than a solid role player. If Jerian can shoot it like he did in his workout :eek:, but he loves the mid-range and his handle isn't all that tight but he could be solid. Tyus is a much more fluid player, but he could end up like Kendall Marshall and Tyler Ennis with that lack of athleticism.

In today's NBA, I'd buy the heck out of Jonathan Holmes at #32 if he's still available. He has versatility on both sides of the ball similar to all the 6'9" dudes Golden State throws out there all game. Another guy that fits into that category is Jarrell Martin, but his stock is rising a bit and he may be gone before then.

Sorry that comment was all over the place. Just spewing out draft thoughts.

5. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

There is essentially zero chance Payne is available at the Rockets pick. Morey would j*zz if he was.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Chad Fraud! :grin:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. <a href="https://t.co/JrKEiRUeUe">https://t.co/JrKEiRUeUe</a></p>&mdash; Tim Bontemps (@TimBontemps) <a href="https://twitter.com/TimBontemps/status/612853010742423552">June 22, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Don't get me wrong, I think Porzingis can be really good. But saying anyone is a combination of Durant, Nowitzki &amp; Kirilenko is insane.</p>&mdash; Tim Bontemps (@TimBontemps) <a href="https://twitter.com/TimBontemps/status/612853503963213824">June 22, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">It's especially not fair to the player, because no one can live up to those expectations. Hell, Anthony Davis isn't that and he's incredible</p>&mdash; Tim Bontemps (@TimBontemps) <a href="https://twitter.com/TimBontemps/status/612853632011104256">June 22, 2015</a></blockquote>

7. Nook

Nook Member

Chad Ford is a joke, he has the job because he is a kiss ass and good ESPN soldier.

8. Normalus

Normalus Member

Heard some team promised to draft him in first round, more like mid-to-late first round. He cut all his workouts long time ago.

9. malakas

malakas Member

New draftexpress mock draft says its memphis who promised Martin. Has Houston getting Jones.
    I think at #18 there is absolutely no way that Turner Booker Payne and Portis are available. But someone of Dekker Looney Lyles and Oubre will. Also rj hunter. Looney could end up falling out of the top20 in the end.

10. Chamillionaire

32nd pick - Tyler Harvey

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N8gqkC1UJ7E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The nation's leading scorer at 22.9 points per game last season, Tyler Harvey lead the Eastern Washington Eagles to their second ever NCAA Tournament appearance. Barely recruited out of high school, Harvey redshirted his freshman year before turning into one of the country's most prolific offensive players. Harvey now needs to prove he can continue his scoring success against NBA players, with the hopes of hearing his name in the NBA Draft.

An extremely efficient scorer, Harvey joins just six other players to post multiple collegiate seasons of at least 20 points per game on a 60% true shooting percentage (Stephen Curry, Ryan Toolson, Ricky Minard, Kevin Martin, Ike Diogu and Doug McDermott 3x) in our database since 2000. Although he was somewhat tucked away in obscurity playing in the Big Sky Conference, Harvey proved he could score against high-major teams by averaging 26.3 points per 40 minutes on a 61% true shooting percentage against teams from BCS conferences, according to our database.

US Presswire

Harvey's NBA potential lies in his ability to continue shooting from distance at a high efficiency level while getting his shot off against NBA defenders. He will be a bit undersized at 6'4” compared to other shooting guards, with just a 6'5 ½ wingspan, and will need to find a way to get separation from his defender to attempt a shot. None of his athletic tools are exciting but he did post one of the top five marks in the lane agility drill at the NBA Combine, showing he might have the burst necessary in the half-court to get a step on his defender.

What will help Harvey is the fact that he only needs a small amount of space to get his shot, as he has a lightning quick release and a high release point that will make it difficult for taller defenders to block. His form doesn't look all that convential, but it works, as Harvey shot 40.9% on threes, sixth best among shooting guards in our top 100.

Harvey is extremely capable of shooting the ball off the dribble, which makes him a deadly ball screen player. He was the second best shooter off the dribble in the country last season (min. 100 possessions), shooting 51.8% according to Synergy Sports Technology. If defenses sag off him just a step, he can gather himself and rise and fire for a shot in rhythm. If they step out on him, Harvey is a decent ball-handler and while he can get into the paint at times, it can take him a while to get there and he will need to improve his handle to shake NBA defenders.

He shows a similar quick release around the rim, which will help overcome his lack of explosiveness and allowed him to be a solid finisher in college, shooting 58.6% on just 70 attempts according to Synergy Sports Technology. Improving his strength will be necessary to absorb contact around the rim (he did attempt a solid 5.8 free throws per 40 minutes pace adjusted) and developing a runner in the lane will be helpful to help him score over the rim protectors and protect his body over the course of a season.

Harvey hasn't shown the ability to create opportunities for his teammates, as he was more focused on his own offense. In a different role, Harvey will need to have his head up with the ball, as he will need to develop the vision and accurate passes to help his team's offense. He seemed to make passes as a last resort and didn't always focus on putting his teammates in position to score and becoming a more willing passer will be a nice skill to add to his offensive repertoire.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz3dnmLBd00
    http://www.draftexpress.com

We need shooters don't we?:cool:

11. Chamillionaire

Boston is going to take either Lyles or Dekker.
    Bucks are going to take Lyles or Dekker.

We're basically left with Looney and Oubre.

I'd be very happy with Oubre and think he would be our starting SF in 2 seasons. He seems to have the tools and is raw. I like our D-league system and how our players DO improve from playing there instead of sitting on the bench. (CC, DMo, TJones) He is from Texas and is only 19.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VCSOmq0CNQ&list=PLGbx-x-czRRdZXh2Spuoqk8p3-10t8I77&index=20

I'm sold. If he's there, pick him. And he's another lefty.

12. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

Compared to the other guys he listed, Yao Ming was not a consensus pick. Revisionist history.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

So KAT at one, Okafor at 2. Sixers have to be happy getting Russell here. Knowing them though and Hinkie's interest in Porzingis, he might take him instead.

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

It's really unclear if Yao was the undisputed top prospect. Sure, at the time of the NBA Draft Lottery, there were other potential options for the #1 pick, including Jay Williams, Mike Dunleavy Jr. and even Caron Butler. But the Rockets began their process with China negotiating Yao's release from the CBA so early on, it became obvious well in advance of the draft that Yao would be the #1 pick.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

BIG fan of Chad Ford's Tier Column. best way to look at players and VALUE.

16. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Definitely could be a sleeper pick. Obviously has a lot of Steph Curry "lite" qualities to his game.

Wish he had shown some more PG attributes, and a tad bit more "explosiveness" athletically, but there's definitely a lot of potential here.

Type of pick you might see DM buy a second round pick for.
    Better if he went undrafted and we could scoop him up as a FA for the summer league team.

18. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

True, if the Rockets had not had the #1 pick no one knows who what the other teams would have done. I suspect most if not all would have picked Yao. But I also recall a number of commentators at the time saying Jay Williams should have gone number one - Yao was not the no doubter that Shaq, Tim Duncan, LeBron, and some of the others were.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If the Rockets still go PG at #18, i'm sticking with Rozier. If they don't, it's a toss up between Looney and Vaughn.

20. malakas

malakas Member

No. Both Dekker and Lyles have refused to work out for Mil. Its between Portis RjHunter and Harell for #17. And the Celtics will do everything to move up and get one of Wcs/ Turner. They got plenty of assets to do it. If Dekker isnt picked by Atlanta he can fall a lot.