1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chad Ford Mock Draft v3.0

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Rockets34Legend, May 26, 2010.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you know that Hilton Armstrong beat Daniel Orton and Hassan Whiteside in the 1 on 1 workout... The score was 5-0-0....

Hilton

Armstrong....

Hilton Armstrong.

Hilton

Armstrong...

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Come on, you know that's a pretty weak argument. Armstrong is an NBA player with solid NBA training/coaching. It's classic "NBA scrub > great college player".

Personally I don't want either, but rather trade up to get Monroe or Cousins, or stay and draft someone with more upside. I just don't see Udoh or Whiteside with star potential.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Player rankings are one thing but mock drafts make no sense and shouldnt be taken seriously. They are entertaining to think about who you would pick, but the teams really have no clue who they are going to pick so anything you take from Chad Ford has to be taken as pure speculation.

My guess is Whiteside has dropped far because of the Combine, I have not heard much, but maybe he didnt do very well or shows immaturity. I would assume the announcement that Hakeem has been mentoring him would only help his position but who knows. The only pick that seems to be a lock is Wall at #1.

Teams generally just have a wish list and rank their top players and take the highest ranked player who is left on the board. Its much more complex than that I know, but its generally gamble with most 1st round picks.

If we are still staying around the 14 spot I am still high on donatas motiejunas. Udoh seems to be the type of guy the Rockets would draft because he would fit in very well and should be NBA ready much quicker that a Whiteside, Orton, or Alabi. But if the Rockets are able to move up to the 5th or 6th spot, then who knows... Its the Rockets.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm with you 100% on Donatas. He's younger than the college Centers and his fundamentals are more solid because he's been playing with pros since he was 16. He's going to be a real talent to watch. I hope he falls to us.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He did? When?

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Agreed. However, that's probably the hardest thing to find in the NBA now a days.

This class has a lot of athletic big men which is good for us since we have to get a legit backup for Yao (or possible replacement). However, I think we have to figure out the Lowry/FA situation soon since a backup PG would be a HUGE need if he leaves.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

We are already waiting on Llull, you want to wait a few years for Motiejunas as well? I don't. Players can be developed over here just as well.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He's not under contract.He has no buyout. He can come over right away.

He will come over too. His favorite player is Luis Scola.

9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

If we can move up, I would hope it is for Cousins or Monroe, if we stay put, the Henry, Hayward, Udoh, or Anderson would be a nice pick.

I also agree with idea of getting later draft pick (or buying one), if Whiteside falls in the draft. It would actually be a steal, if you can get him in 20s.

I've been half hearted about Orton, but wouldn't mind if the Rockets got him later in draft. Again, another player we could draft, just not early in 1st Round. Late 1st Round to 2nd Round would definitely, in fact I think he might fall in that spot, anyway.

10. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

If we can trade back for Paul George or Luke Babbitt in addition to one of those players it'll be nice.

11. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

He guys dont get too wrapped up in these mocks. We are trading out of the 1st round to add some vets.

;)

12. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

We (fans) have been saying we need to draft a C for the past 3 years or so. Morey obviously thinks differently. I think this year if he can move up, he will try to take one (Favors or Cousins). If not, I can see him moving back a few spots and picking up more assets to do something else with and taking the best available player or a project big.

If we get B Miller this summer would that suffice as a backup C for some of you guys?

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I do.

Why pay a player to develop him when you can have it done for you for free?

I remember another 14th pick of the draft who was nevertheless left in Europe in order to get a little more seasoned. When he finally came over, he was much more NBA-ready and produced right away. Within a few years, he was an All-Star.

That player: Peja Stojakovic.

While Donatas is not the same kind of player, he has a similar level of pedigree. Frankly, I'd be ecstatic if our 14th pick ever becomes CLOSE to what Peja was in his prime.

Also, given the fact that Morey has publicly stated that the 14th pick likely wouldn't play meaningful minutes next season, I'd rather that Les Alexander not pay DOUBLE Donatas's salary (when you count luxury tax) to have the guy sitting at the end of the bench or in the Rio Grande Valley, especially when that money can be allocated elsewhere AND Donatas could be playing meaningful basketball in Europe at a negligible cost to Les (just scouting and following up with him).

But maybe that's just me.

1 person likes this.
  14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like your strategy in theory. Donatas can handle some contact on offense,but his defense is bad.

He can't rebound,nor can he hold his position in the paint on defense. I don't think that he has ever learned to play defense in Europe,and is not likely to improve on that end there.

Offensively,he can be better than Andersen. Even Luis could rebound better than Donatas before he joined us,and at least had the reputation as a hustle player despite his defensive weaknesses. I get the feeling that Donatas has no desire to defend at all.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It won't suffice for me,but I'm ok with it, if he comes for the bi-annual exemption. I would look to move Andersen for a second round pick before the trading deadline,if DM gets Brad Miller.

16. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

He might turn out to be a steal if he falls to us, but he's not what we need. We need a guy with size and shot blocking ability .

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

Pigeonholing an exact need for the draft is usually a bad way to build a team. If Morey thinks Donatas has solid superstar potential, then he should get drafted regardless of need.

You can overpay for shot-blocking and size(Dalembert, Camby last year). But stars are basically untouchable in this league.

18. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I think for a 7 ft to have superstar potential, they need to be able to grab at least 8-9 rebounds a game.

Dirk isn't just a scorer. He rebounds and blocks a shot a game also.

A soft jump shooting PF that can't rebound or block shot would be a clone of Bargnani or Gallinari at best.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Not sure what your point is. I specifically said "If Morey thinks Donatas has solid superstar potential" because I'm not an awesome NBA talent evaluator, nor do I claim to be one. My only point is that you don't pass up on talent simply because he doesn't fit a need.

If Morey came to the conclusion you have, then he probably won't draft Donatas. In which case, it's a moot point anyway. But if Morey thinks Donatas can become the next Dirk and pass up on him to get the next Dalembert, then he's an idiot.

And Morey's no idiot. :)

20. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I'm not psychic, but I bet Morey doesn't take Donatas, if he is available at whatever pick we are at.