1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chad Ford Mock Draft 8.0

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by J.R., Jun 19, 2012.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Say no to deals that turn the Lakers back into serious contenders. They can have Scoops the Ice Cream Man, but not Lowry. They can have one pick, but not both. Cutting Dalembert would net them substantial tax savings.

All that said, I'm in no hurry to trade for Gasol. He's obviously an upgrade as a 4/5, but he's not turning us into contenders in the next two years - after which he's gone. So what's the point? Don't sell the future just to say you lost in the first round a couple times. Especially if it turns out a PJIII makes good on his potential.

1 person likes this.
  2. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

giving the Lakers another Kobe for 10 more years to terrorize us

3. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Daryl loves getting a good bang for his buck.

So I see us drafting Jared Sullinger (along with Tyler Zeller) if he free falls, like many mock draft's are predicting. Getting a former top 5 pick talent at 14th or 16th pick is great value, no matter which way you look at it.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

His potential to become the black Tim Thomas?

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Like!

6. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I posted in another thread also, but here it is:

Quote:
    "Originally From Holliger's draft rater

7. Making my board

Knowing everything we know, here is how my board looks heading into draft day. This is taking into account everything from the Draft Rater as well as what we know about the players' red flags, defensive pluses and minuses and one or two subjective calls:

1. Anthony Davis
    2. Thomas Robinson
    3. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
    4. Dion Waiters
    5. Andre Drummond
    6. Quincy Miller
    7. Jared Sullinger
    8. Terrence Jones
    9. John Henson
    10. Royce White
    11. Bradley Beal
    12. Harrison Barnes
    13. Tony Wroten
    14. Kendall Marshall
    15. Marquis Teague
    16. Draymond Green
    17. Jeremy Lamb
    18. Damian Lillard
    19. Austin Rivers
    20. Doron Lamb
    21. Furkan Aldemir
    22. Will Barton
    23. Tyler Zeller
    24. Evan Fournier
    25. Tyshawn Taylor
    26. Meyers Leonard
    27. Terrence Ross
    28. Perry Jones
    29. Festus Ezeli
    30. Fab Melo "

They are currently listed as 20,23,31 on drafexpress mock draft.

I wouldn't mind picking Zeller/Ross(very high level role players who could start) in 14&16 or trade picks for Gasol in a normal year. But this year we can get guys like these in late first round. IMO These guys should be top5 picks in a weak draft, or they should be top10 picks this year if there're no issues like anxiety, ACL... All of them are very young, unique with allstar upside.

7. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Sullinger and Waiters need to go way down. Barnes is Top 5, Beal up some spots too. Lamb up some spots as well.

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Keep in mind Hollinger's rater is based on PER, a rating he came up with that is based on "all a player's positive accomplishments, subtracts the negative accomplishments, and returns a per-minute rating of a player's performance."

9. haoafu

That's correct about the draft rater. But the final ranking is different.

"This is taking into account everything from the Draft Rater as well as what we know about the players' red flags, defensive pluses and minuses and one or two subjective calls:"

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Hollinger is the ultimate IT nerd. I'm sure his lists are valuable but his PER leans more on the offensive side of the ball; and didn't he write for Lillard that he got his numbers playing against weak competition?

Maybe so, but that's gonna skew the results, while it boosts your guys from top-flight NCAA schools. Hell, I'd look great if my teammates were Terrence Jones, MKG, etc etc.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think the bigger point on Holligner is that his results seem to have nearly as many swings and misses as everyone's else. It may be slightly better. Maybe. And he implies it gets better by the year. But better than what?

In 2008, the top 10 included Joe Alexander, Chalmers, Douglas-Roberts, Arthur, Darnell Jackson (missing Westbrook, Lopez, Gordon, Mayo)

In 2009 I think he had Austin Daye, Nick Calathes, Johnny Flynn, Thabeet and Earl Clark in his top 12.

In 2010 he had Aminu, Henry, Babbit, Vasquez, Landesberg (who) and Samhan (who) in his top 12.

That's not to say there isn't value, he doesn't get some right, or that he is all wrong. In 2009, there weren't many great picks anyway. And he had Ty Lawson #1 - over Blake Griffin which is absurd - but ultimately a great pick at #18.

So the point? Not sure, I'm just not quite sold on any of Miller, Wroten, or White, and Hollinger's conclusion in no way sway me.

12. haoafu

I like Miller, Wroten, or White in late first round. I think they are the ones with allstar potential other than a few in the lottery. Holliger's ranking for them is actually higher than my ranking, but nontheless they are great pickups in late first round.

I also like a few other prospects who are safer picks and will trun out to be solid rotation or starting players. But IMO we are not going to contend in the next 5 years with Heats/Thunders, we'd better bet on some high potential prospects especially if they are 'value picks'.

1 person likes this.
  13. haoafu

I think you have to take his opinion with a grain of salt, and I regard Lillard highly. I do agree with his opinion on MKG, Henson, Miller, Wroten and White though.

14. Carl Herrera

Whatever Hollinger's formula is, it is likely VERY different than the Houston Rockets' methods. Specifically, Hollinger had Marcus Morris ranked in the late 20s last season and the Rockets were quite happy to draft him at 14. As such, whether Hollinger is right or wrong about the players listed here, I doubt that it is useful as a predictor of which players the Rockets will likely want to draft this year.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Exactly. It's just one ranking. It's likely/apparently very different from the Rockets. And it doesn't appear to be any better than other rankings. Sometimes including my/other random people's own rankings.

16. haoafu

I think Hollinger's projection on Marcus Morris is more accurate, even though I still believe he has the talent to be a power 3 with more dedication and right system.

What the rockets are doing is a combination of modeling and scouting. They have more in-depth research and more discrete modeling, and they study what can be translated and what can't be to NBA level. In that sense, Hollinger's method is similar but I wouldn't be surprised if different models generate way different rankings on certain player. Even the same model with slight different assumption would do that.

His draft rater is a pretty good reference, at least on par with any other mock draft available. Personally I think it's one of the best.

17. jogo

jogo Member

Well, the Rockets don't value underclassmen or "potential." This is probably a mandate from Les but we can't really tell. When was the last time we drafted a freshman or sophomore? At #14 in the draft we have been a bit hamstrung by possible choices. Morey has excelled at getting players late in the draft who are good rotational pieces. How well he does in the top 14 remains to be seen (Morris, Ppat). It's hard to know how well he would do with a 1-10 pick.

18. Carl Herrera

Donte Greene, also Motiejunas was 20 when drafted.

19. haoafu

I think they draft Patterson and Morris on 'potential'. Believe it or not, Patterson's measurement is similar to Thomas Robinson, and he should have a great year with the injury behind him. Morris has great 'potential' at 3, and he's going to take time to improve his quickness when defending.

20. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member