1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chad Ford Mock Draft 8.0

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by J.R., Jun 19, 2012.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

-Link-

It's crunch time. With the NBA draft now less than 10 days away, the finishing touches of the draft process are playing out with individual workouts, team interviews and doctors combing over physicals combined with heated arguments in war rooms across the NBA.

While teams are getting closer to finalizing their draft boards, there's still time for things to change. Here's our best stab, after talking to numerous NBA team sources, about how the draft might play out on June 28.

New Orleans

Anthony Davis

Position: PF
    Height: 6-foot-11
    Weight: 222 pounds
    School: Kentucky
    Analysis: Davis is the clear No. 1 pick. The Hornets are turning down all trade offers for Davis and trying to figure out the best way to build around him. Look for them to seriously consider dealing the No. 10 pick if they can get a young veteran to play alongside Davis in return. This team has no intention of being bad for the next five seasons now that Davis is in place.

Charlotte

Thomas Robinson

Height: 6-foot-9
    Weight: 244 pounds
    School: Kansas
    Analysis: The Bobcats continue to talk with teams about trading the No. 2 pick. But if they keep it, most of the signals coming out of the organization point to Robinson being the man. He is a super athletic, physical 4 who should be an instant upgrade over Tyrus Thomas and D.J. White.

I'm hearing Harrison Barnes may be in second place on their wish list right now. Apparently, MJ is a fan. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Bradley Beal are in the mix, too, though I'm told MKG didn't blow anyone away in his workout for the Bobcats on Monday and also hurt his back a little.

Washington

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

Position: SF
    Height: 6-foot-8
    Weight: 233 pounds
    Analysis: The Wizards are happy at No. 3 and I continue to hear it will come down to Kidd-Gilchrist or Bradley Beal. Harrison Barnes, I'm told, is also now in the picture. Andre Drummond is too, but he's much further down the list. So who gets the nod?

The Wizards really need shooting, which should give Beal or Barnes a leg up. But I continue to hear that Kidd-Gilchrist remains the favorite. It's very close.

Cleveland

Bradley Beal

Position: SG
    Height: 6-foot-5
    Weight: 202 pounds
    School: Florida
    Analysis: The Cavs had Beal and Barnes in for a head-to-head workout on Saturday. While both played well, the word out of Cleveland is that Beal was a little better. That could seal the deal for Beal at No. 4 if he falls this far.

But remember that workouts are just one small part of a much bigger process. The Cavs have been very interested in Barnes for the past year and could decide they prefer his size.

Sacramento

Harrison Barnes

Weight: 228 pounds
    School: North Carolina
    Analysis: Sacramento is another team that is seriously considering moving its pick if it can. GM Geoff Petrie is on the hot seat and the Kings are once again looking for a player who can come in and contribute immediately. If they can entice a team to give up a young veteran for the No. 5 pick, I think they do it. If they keep the pick, it's looking like they'll play it safe and grab Barnes. Drummond is in the mix too, but he's a much riskier proposition.

Portland (via Nets)

Andre Drummond

Position: C
    Height: 7-foot-0
    Weight: 279 pounds
    School: UConn
    Analysis: Blazers GM Neil Olshey is a risk-taker. He also knows he has some time to rebuild this team. So, unlike Petrie, Olshey has the capital right now to take a risk or two in the draft.

It may come down to a three-way choice (assuming the top five are off the board) between Drummond, Damian Lillard and Dion Waiters. I hear the Blazers like all three, but Drummond clearly has the biggest upside of the group. He also comes with the biggest question marks.

Golden State

Dion Waiters

Height: 6-foot-4
    Weight: 221 pounds
    School: Syracuse
    Analysis: We've tried a number of different players in this spot and none of them have stuck. Perry Jones turned the Warriors off. Terrence Jones didn't wow in workouts. And news of Jared Sullinger's back issues have GMs in the lottery running scared.

Could the Warriors turn to Waiters? He would bring a lot of what Monta Ellis brought to the table at a much cheaper price. If the team believes Klay Thompson can slide over to the 3, or if they just want to fill out a three-guard rotation, Waiters could be the guy.

Toronto

Damian Lillard

Position: PG
    Height: 6-foot-3
    Weight: 189 pounds
    School: Weber State
    Analysis: The Raptors were high on Waiters early, but his stock has risen so rapidly that he could very well be off the board when they pick. If that's the case, Lillard may be the next best thing to Waiters as a dynamic backcourt scorer, which the team has lacked.

The Raptors are also open to trading their pick for a veteran wing, who would add some stability to their roster. If they keep the pick, Jeremy Lamb and Austin Rivers are also in the mix here.

Detroit

John Henson

Height: 6-foot-10
    Weight: 216 pounds
    Analysis: Greg Monroe has been a revelation in the middle for the Pistons, but they really need to pair him alongside an athletic shot-blocker. Although Henson is painfully thin, he rebounds, blocks shots and defends multiple positions.

It wouldn't be a perfect solution in Detroit, but the Pistons don't have a lot of other options here unless they want to reach a bit for Meyers Leonard, who might be worth it after his stellar showing at the draft combine.

New Orleans(via Wolves)

Austin Rivers

Weight: 203 pounds
    School: Duke
    Analysis: We've had Jared Sullinger here the past few weeks. But just as he was working out in New Orleans, NBA team doctors were reviewing the physicals from the NBA draft combine. As we reported on Monday, Sullinger's physical had a number of team docs skittish.

If Sullinger isn't the guy, there is no obvious direction for the Hornets to go next. You could make the case for a dozen players. So why Rivers? He checks off a lot of boxes that the Hornets are looking for and gives them some insurance should Eric Gordon get too expensive as a restricted free agent this summer.

Portland

Jeremy Lamb

Weight: 179 pounds
    School: UConn
    Analysis: If the Blazers get Drummond at No. 6, they can turn their attention to their needs in the backcourt. While a point guard might be ideal, with Lillard off the board, I think they go after a 2-guard. Lamb has great length for his position, is a smooth athlete and would give them some scoring in the backcourt.

Milwaukee

Meyers Leonard

Height: 7-foot-1
    Weight: 250 pounds
    School: Illinois
    Analysis: The Bucks gambled a few years ago on Brandon Jennings and it paid off big time. At this point in the draft, Leonard is risky but could have huge upside. The Bucks really need a center after trading Andrew Bogut to the Warriors at the trade deadline. Leonard is a work in progress, but has the size and athletic ability to be a dominant big man down the road.

Phoenix

Terrence Ross

Height: 6-foot-7
    Weight: 197 pounds
    School: Washington
    Analysis: We've had both Dion Waiters and Austin Rivers associated with this pick in the past. However, if both players are off the board, Terrence Ross could be the guy.

He's big, he's super athletic and he can really shoot the basketball. The Suns desperately need help in their backcourt, and Ross could be a very solid addition.

Houston

Tyler Zeller

Height: 7-foot
    Weight: 247 pounds
    Analysis: The Rockets' biggest need is in the middle, and Zeller should be a solid option. Scouts don't think Zeller is going to be an All-Star someday, but he's big, he runs the floor very well and he has a great touch around the basket. Meyers Leonard has passed him on our Big Board, but Zeller should ultimately land somewhere between Picks 8 and 14.

Philadelphia

Terrence Jones

Weight: 252 pounds
    Analysis: The Sixers might have a tough choice here between Jones, Jared Sullinger and Arnett Moultrie. They need size, but also shooting. Jones may be the compromise. He measured out very well for a power forward at the combine, has an NBA body and proved to be a solid rebounder and shot-blocker in college. He has tremendous upside if he puts his heart into it.

Sullinger, meanwhile, would give the Sixers the starting-caliber replacement for Elton Brand if he can stay healthy, while Moultrie is a long, bouncy, athletic big man who could stretch the floor.

Houston (via Knicks)

Arnett Moultrie

Weight: 223 pounds
    School: Mississippi State
    Analysis: Moultrie can stretch the floor and really rebound. With the Rockets in desperate need of size, pairing Moultrie with Zeller could give them a good mix of bigs.

Dallas

Kendall Marshall

Weight: 198 pounds
    Analysis: With Jason Kidd 39 years old and a free agent, and Rodrigue Beaubois more of a combo guard, Marshall would offer much of what Kidd brings to the table -- incredible court vision and size -- right away. Marshall is not a great athlete or a great shooter, but he could keep Dirk & Co. happy.

Wolves (via Jazz)

Fab Melo

Height: 7-foot
    Weight: 255 pounds
    School: Syracuse
    Analysis: The team is praying that one of the wings, such as Terrence Ross or Austin Rivers, slides to them here. But if they don't, the Wolves may choose to go big with Melo. Nikola Pekovic was a revelation this year, but after that the cupboard is pretty bare. Darko Milicic has one more year on his deal, but he's not a long-term answer in Minnesota.

Orlando

Perry Jones III

Weight: 234 pounds
    School: Baylor
    Analysis: This is a long way for Jones to slip in the draft. Many believe he's a top-five talent, but no one knows what position he'll play in the pros; his situation reminds me a lot of the one Josh Smith was in a few years ago. Jones may find a home in the lottery, but if he doesn't he could slide this far. Given Jones' raw talent, he's definitely worth the risk at this point.

Denver

Jared Sullinger

Weight: 268 pounds
    School: Ohio State
    Analysis: A number of GMs are legitimately concerned with what their doctors found concerning Sullinger's back. They claim it's much more serious than what Sullinger's camp is saying. We will continue to try to get a handle on this situation in the next few days.

Still, there will be a certain spot in the draft where Sullinger's reward outweighs the risk. I'm not totally sure this is it, but the Nuggets need a 4 who can bang down low, so this might be a win-win for both Sullinger and Denver.

Boston

Andrew Nicholson

Weight: 234 pounds
    School: St. Bonaventure
    Analysis: Nicholson is another draft sleeper who may really rise with workouts. He's a big stretch 4 who has drawn some comparisons to David West. He would be another welcome addition to the Celtics' summer makeover.

Boston (via Clippers)

Moe Harkless

Weight: 207 pounds
    School: St. John's
    Analysis: The Celtics get a pretty safe pick with Nicholson at No. 21 and then roll the dice a bit with Harkless at No. 22. He's long and athletic and he can put the ball on the floor and get to the basket. If the team is going to start rebuilding, they'll need to nail a few of these late picks like they did with Rajon Rondo and Avery Bradley.

Atlanta

Royce White

Weight: 261 pounds
    School: Iowa State
    Analysis: As long as coach Larry Drew can buy into what White is and how to play him, he could be a steal at this point in the draft. The Hawks don't really have a primary ball handler anyway, which may make White a great choice if he's allowed to play his game.

Cavs (via Lakers)

Quincy Miller

Weight: 219 pounds
    School: Baylor
    Analysis: If the Cavs add Beal, they could try to swing for the fences with Miller. There are a lot of concerns about his knee and what position he'll play in the pros. But his upside is so high that it might be worth taking a gamble this low in the draft. There's very little risk and a lot of potential reward here.

Memphis

Tony Wroten Jr.

Height: 6-foot-6
    Weight: 203 pounds
    School: Washington
    Analysis: The Grizzlies don't have a ton of talent behind Mike Conley, and Wroten is definitely worth the risk at this point in the draft. He is the most spectacular passer in the draft and has great size and athleticism. He just needs to fix that broken shot of his.

Indiana

Marquis Teague

Height: 6-foot-2
    Weight: 180 pounds
    Analysis: Teague would've been a top-10 pick in 2013 had he decided to stay in school. Instead he followed the rest of Kentucky's stars into the draft. He could go as high as the mid-first round and I doubt he slips past the Pacers here. Adding Teague would allow Indiana to use Darren Collison as trade bait this summer.

Miami

Draymond Green

Weight: 236 pounds
    School: Michigan State
    Analysis: The Heat need players with experience who excel in bringing out the best in their teammates. Green can be a point-forward type who does a little of everything. Think of him as a better-passing Udonis Haslem.

Oklahoma City

Evan Fournier

Weight: 206 pounds
    School: France
    Analysis: Fournier is the type of player that the Thunder can easily stash for a year or two in Europe. Or, given the high level he has played at in France, he might be able to come in and get minutes for them right away -- especially if the Thunder decide they can't afford to re-sign James Harden this summer.

Chicago

John Jenkins

Weight: 212 pounds
    School: Vanderbilt
    Analysis: The Bulls need a shooter, and Jenkins has one of the best strokes in the draft. His super-quick release and ability to finish at the basket make him an interesting prospect here.

Golden State (via Spurs)

Jeff Taylor

Weight: 212 pounds
    School: Vanderbilt
    Analysis: The Warriors really need some help at the 3 and at this point Taylor is a safe bet. He's a terrific defender who can guard multiple positions, and he has become an adequate shooter off the catch.

#1 J.R., Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Jared Sullinger falling to 20? Seems like an overreaction to me.

Moultrie is definitely a sleeper pick for me... I could see Morey really liking him. He also went to that Mississippi State - Florida game earlier in the year and I'm sure Moultrie was one of the guys he wanted to get a closer look at.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Do not want Arnett Moultrie.

At that point, if Sullinger's health is really an issue, just trade away the pick for the future.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

In this draft? No way. Few All Stars, but depth into the 2nd round.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Moultrie doesn't top my list, but he does seem big and quick. What is it about him that you really don't like?

IF Sullinger's health is an issue to where he'd drop down to 20 (not convinced yet), then it does hurt the Rockets -- someone expected to go ahead of them (and a big) that they themselves would pass on drops below them. One less player the Rockets potentially like will be available at 14/16. Don't know the real health status of Sullinger, but seems like the Rockets would roll the dice on a talent like him.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Moultrie is too skinny, does not block shots despite size and hops, and most important of all, he is a t-shirt guy. Never like t-shirt guys. T-shirt under tank top is just a bad look. Glad they don't allow it in the NBA.

7. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Not a fan of moultrie at all... Just another Jordan Hill

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That works, too. Could trade down in the first round and grab a second round pick.

Nothing in particular against Moultrie. I just don't know what we'd do with another PF.

I'm just not excited about having two rookie PFs, along with Scola and Patterson to consider.

We'd then have to find playing time for:
    Scola, PatPat, D-Mo, Moultrie
    Zeller, Camby, Dalembert

Even if we get rid of, say, Scola and Dalembert, I'm concerned about having so much inexperience down low.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

If rivers goes that high, then i guess he could cancel out sullinger dropping. I'm almost sure we're going to trade up somehow...not top 5, but 10-ish.

10. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I think he's a really poor help defender. He doesn't protect the rim at all. His instincts are terrible/non-existent. He also doesn't always try and at times can have really bad body language.
    On offense I think he's a jack of all trades, but master of none.

I think he'll be a decent role player, but nothing to get excited about.

11. Carl Herrera

If picks 1 to 15 is as Ford has it, I would just pick Perry Jones or maybe Sullinger or Marshall.

12. AFS

AFS Member

Would you pass on Anthony Davis for the same reason?

13. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Not bad... I think I'd go Zeller and Jones-or-Sullinger. I'd consider that to be a very good draft.

Edit - I just read a little closer... so you're assuming Zeller at 14, so we're pretty much in agreement. I'm surprised you didn't mention Royce White though.

14. Carl Herrera

It is a negative, but Davis is really good so I forgive him.

15. Carl Herrera

Like White, but he is a trade back and pick candidate. Him and Fournier.

16. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

PLEASE NO NOT THESE 2

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Fab Melo is way too high for the upper 20s.

18. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Is that's true about Sullinger, I really hope we don't waste a pick with him. Back issues never go away, would be a terrible waste.

19. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

I like Zeller if he falls to 14 and the Rockets stay in that position.

I'm a firm believer that a lot of teams are going to be in trouble if they are going to base their franchise's future on this draft.

Lot of solid NBA players that will need to find right organizational fit/scheme to maximize potential.

20. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

[​IMG]