1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chad Ford Mock Draft 7.0

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by redhotrox, Jun 13, 2012.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

What about those of us who have done it year end and year out? You do know that the majority of Clutchfans had Kawhi Leonard picked over Morris, right? I had Marshon Brooks.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

If Perry ever amounts to anything, it will be 5-7 years down the road. We can then acquire him. Until then, let's have a player who can contribute, such as (going off the players available at 16 in this mock): Kendall Marshall, Terrence Ross, Royce White. At SF, I'd rather have Jeff Taylor than Perry Jones.

Heck, I'd even prefer taking Evan Fournier and keeping him overseas for a while, if we're going the route of project player. And if Kendall Marshall is gone and we need a backup PG because we traded Lowry for Dwight :)cool:) then I would take Teague.

3. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

So, in 5-7 years if he's good, we'll just be able to get him no problem? :rolleyes: We don't have a team worth crap right now, so getting players that 'contribute' immediatly is pointless. Get a player(s) who could turn out good in a few years, by that time hopefully this team will have turned the corner.

lol, we're not getting dwight.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I have a hard time arguing with you here because I largely agree with the approach you are advocating. By that I mean, we need to swing for the fences rather continuing to add "assets" not valued by anyone outside the GARM.

I just happen to think that Perry Jones isn't a swing-for-the-fences player. I think he will be at best a Lamar Odom type player, with worse handles, less aggressiveness and a thinner wife. Yes, he's more athletic, but he doesn't really use his athleticism like he should, so that's not something I count on with Perry.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

WTF??!!!:confused: Seriously??!!!

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm not saying I agree with the particular pick. Personally I never judge draft picks until at least 2-3 years down the road, so I offer no opinion on Morris personally. I simply said I agree with the Rockets overall plan to draft projects early, and safer picks late.

It's very possible that Morris did not turn out as the Rockets had hoped. In which case, they failed the pick. But I still agree with their decision to swing for the fences. When you do that, you do tend to come up empty more often than not.

7. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

If PJIII waits till his senior year at Baylor he projects to be better than Taylor. His already done more than JT in his first three years at Vandy.

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I agree. The Rockets are a tough out on any given night even when facing the Lakers or OKC. A couple of borderline all stars and they could be looking at a top 4 seed easily. Heck we came within 4 or 5 wins of the 6th seed last season with our starting back court out.

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

It is with players like Jones that the FO people really earn their salaries. A normal fan does not have the information or the tools or the experience to project him into the NBA. Best leave him for the professionals.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Obviously Morey has fallen in love with players from name institutions (Kansas, Kentucky), and he attended some of their games in person, so he saw something "there". Whiffing on Kawhi Leonard was bad.

But I think Marcus Morris has his own set of circumstances. Could not sign until late for cap purposes (our pursuit of Nene, Gasol, re-signing Chuck). Got outhustled by another rookie who had no transition to make as far as a "4" or a "3".

And, let's be frank, as the shortened season zoomed along, McHale was already locked in with Parsons, while he wasn't enamored with certain other players---Martin, Morris, Cbud.

Although Marcus Morris did develop a certain pouty posture as the season wound on. Not that I blame him too much. If Parsons is locked in at 3, and the coach isn't in love with Morris, well, Morris would still be scrapping for backup minutes. Wouldn't stun me if he was part of a trade package this summer.

I'll try to resist the urge to say Houston will really start to have that old-style Boston stamp if we draft Zeller or Leonard to play alongside Goran, Bud, DMo....

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

If he's good 5-7 years then you can pay him market value. If he isn't good 5-7 years from now, then you just wasted 5-7 years of time. Even worse, you might be Rudy Gay-ed and end up keeping him even if he isn't that good, just because you don't want to lose him for anything. Rudy Gay wasn't worth the max, but the Grizz had to give him that contract because he would have left the team otherwise, and they would have wasted 5+ years putting up with his horrible D and soft O.

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I think you just have to look at the 2011 draft and say "No harm, no foul". We got Parsons so it all evens out.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

You have my interest. I mentioned that I don't judge picks until 2-3 years down the road. So here's Morey's draft from 2008-2010.

Landry, Brooks, Newley, Greene, Leunen, Dorsey, Taylor, Llul, Budinger

Who did have at those picks at the time?

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Truthfully, i didn't start paying attention to the draft until last season. Last season i was big on Marshon Brooks, Kenneth Faried, K. Leonard and Jeremy Tyler.

15. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/19352135/charlotte-looking-to-deal-no-2-pick

CBS rumor that I strongly dislike, and by strongly dislike, I mean would like to poke it with a pointy stick until it stops moving. AKA Harden for #2

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

So who did you mean you said, and I quote

If you are referring to other posters of this board, I'd still like to see their picks over that span.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Who would they get with the number 2 pick? Beal to provide the same thing Harden does now?

The only one who would make sense to me would be Thomas Robinson to provide them with low-post scoring. But, seeing as how they're up 1-0 in the Finals, they're probably happy with how they are currently assimilated.

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Leonard by far and away in 2011. I don't remember who in 2010. The face palm I did when they drafted PPat knocked it clean out of my head.

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

If you have the team OKC does you keep it together until forced to break it up.

20. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Draft is all a guessing game, outside of the top few prospects. And unless you are a top 6 contending team, IMO, you should be drafting talent rather than someone nba ready.

I don't think it will take 5-7 years to figure out if he's going to be good or not. In 3 years (possibly even 2), management and the league will know how he's going to turn out. He could be great, he could be terrible, but that's no difference from anyone else we'd get with our picks.

If we were the 10th pick or better, I'd probably pass on Jones. But, if he's still there at maybe 14, 16 for sure, I think he's worth a shot.