1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chad Ford Mock Draft 4.0

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by J.R., Jun 8, 2011.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think you have higher odds betting on green at the roulette table in Vegas than you do of getting a Morey draft pick right. Especially betting with ESPN's mock draft.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Every staff has its own draft strengths and weaknesses. DM and his staff suck at evaluating wing talent, but seem to be $$$ on big men and pgs. If they get Biyombo, you can be sure he'll be a good player for us.

3. anchel

anchel Member

Too soon.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Despite others' opinions (BimaThug, maybe? can't remember now), I honestly don't think we drafted Donte Green to keep him. I read before that draft that Sacramento was interested in the kid. And look where he wound up.

Could be wrong, I'm not smug on this guess at all.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Has there already been a Clutchfans mock draft?

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Maybe, maybe not, but there's no way for anyone to say for sure on draft night that SAC would be open to deal Ron Artest for Greene + another pick. So at least Morey liked him enough to risk getting stuck with him.

7. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

$20 it is. And here's the finer detail.

1) Both Fredette and Biyombo are on the board @ 14
    2) If the Rockets pick Fredette and he is NOT part of trade shipping him somewhere else...you pay the Tip Jar.
    3) If the Rockets pick Biyombo and he is NOT part of trade shipping him somewhere else...I pay pay the Tip Jar.

You are correct...neither is likely to be on the board by 14. Especially since big men...big men with a 7-7 wingspan...have too much potential upside to pass over.

But my theory is this. Whatever the $Ball formula is....it overweights for experience. 4 years of Fredette is huge in $Ball terms. And the Rockets are on record as taking BPA. They will not address need. Foolish IMHO.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What about one amendment: If the Rockets move up to get one of them when both would be available at that pick, and end up keeping that player, the bet is till on. Seems the choice is still relevant to your theory if, say, the Rockets ended up moving up to take Fredette at 10th or Biyombo at 9th when both fo them are available at that pick.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Just witnessed a mock draft on Thehoopsreport. They had us picking Biyombo(14) and Tobias Harris(23). Thoughts?

10. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

We have too many one way offensive players to even be looking at a guy like Fredette. The only way we take him is if we have a swap in place.

11. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I would react like we just had the #1 pick if that happened. I am hoping for Tobias Harris at 14, but if Biyombo fell to us and we still got Harris at 23, I would be like :eek: til pre-season.

12. jogo

jogo Member

I'd love this. I really think Harris is underrated and will go much lower that he should. At 38 I'd go with Tyler/Noguiera/Benson/Williams in that order probably.

13. Egghead

Egghead Member

that would be a really good draft

14. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I would faint... that would be a great draft for the rockets.

15. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Oh dude that was the twitter mock draft.

I was a bunch of fans of different teams pick for their teams!

I was the Rockets representative and completely forgot about it.. :eek:

16. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

fixed.

17. Houston_Rockets

I still think that we should try to trade up, using the 23, 37 picks and a player(s) (the quality of the player(s) would determine what pick we get, not higher then 7, not lower then 20, no shot at the #2 because that will be the hot pick to trade for come draft day), but maintaining that 14th pick.

IMO 13 to 20, are the best value picks this year, you have guys like, Byombo (maybe falling), Singleton, Fredette, Marshon Brooks, Tobias Harris, Tristan Thompson (these are the guys I like in that range, but you still have guys like Jordan Hamilton and Markieff Morris). In my mind, all of them can excel in the NBA, at least at one side of the court.

Coachable talked about Thehoopsreport predicting we draft Byombo and Harris, but there is no way Harris is still available at 23. No doubt tho, if we manage to draft those 2 guys, it would be probably the best draft we can get realistically. We get what we need, position wise, and more importantly, we get athletic players, which we desperately need. We need to dunk more, we need to be less of a perimeter team, and go hard to the hoop, get 2nd chance opportunities, and dunk it easy, instead of catching off rebs, and getting blocked at the rim or passing it back out and transforming an easy dunk (athletic players) into ANOTHER 3pt shot.

PeAcE

18. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

I think Morey realizes that while Jimmer might have shown all the metrics (by the way, just because he was a prolific college scorer does not make it a foregone conclusion that Morey likes the way his statistics play out) he is not the player we need right now. Questionable D (might get better without him having to focus so hard on scoring, but might doesn't cut it right now) and not exactly great size for his position means that he is just adding to our strengths as a team. I bet you Morey does like him, but at 23, some things would have to get really crazy before Morey doesn't pick a defensive-minded player at 14. And if Biyombo is there, I don't even think their will be a thought process...Biyombo will be ours.

19. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

This wasn't clear. I meant we have a glut of average-sized, offensive-minded starters (Scola, Budinger, Martin).

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that was me. While you may be right about Sacramento having pre-draft interest in Greene, that only supports the notion that the Kings liked him as a player. It says nothing about whether a trade was IN PLACE on draft night.

Again, NEITHER of the following would have happened had the Rockets and Kings had a trade arranged on draft night:

(1) The Rockets signing Greene to his rookie contract. The signing of that contract delayed the Artest trade from happening for a good 1-2 weeks after it became common knowledge.

(2) Donte playing in the summer league. There was NO WAY that either team would have risked Donte getting seriously injured in summer league play if a trade had already been worked out. Plus, if they were running Adelman's (most recent) system, why would the Rockets let another team's player in on that?

Remember, there are plenty of "draft-day trades" that cannot be consummated, for salary cap purposes, until later (July 1) and which result in a player being forced to sit out at least the first part of pre-summer league camp and the games themselves. But in every single one of those instances, the drafted player just waits until after the trade is consummated before suiting up to play for any NBA team. If the Kings and Rockets had previously agreed to a Donte Greene trade, it would have been no different than the countless other similar deals.

Again . . . DONTE GREENE WAS SELECTED TO PLAY FOR THE HOUSTON ROCKETS. The fact that I have to repeat this yet again just irks me. (I'm not pissed at you, ROXTIA; just the general sentiment by this line of reasoning, or lack thereof.)