1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ch 2 video] Mutombo guarantees there will be a game 7

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hilltopper, May 1, 2008.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Don't know why he said that....but whatever.

Utah won't play harder because of it, and neither will Houston....just lace em up.

DD

#21 DaDakota, May 1, 2008
    Last edited: May 1, 2008
  2. rawool

rawool Member

I totally agree. Why Mutombo?! :(

3. DaDakota

Look at the bright side, at least when Deke says it, you believe it...

If Tmac said it...well....

DD

4. poprocks

poprocks Member

LOL yeah this is true. Deke is a legend. T-Mac well...

5. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

If I remember correctly during game 6 of the Dallas series, it came out during the broadcast that Mutombo had guaranteed there would be a game 7 and the Rocket players were not too happy with Mutombo that it got out. Well the series culminated in a 40 point blowout. The Mavs used it as fuel in game 7.

Looks like Mutombo hasn't learned his lesson.

6. poprocks

poprocks Member

As long as Mutumbo gets on the court and can back his mouth up. I don't recall Mutumbo on the court for that Dallas game.

7. DaDakota

Oh come on.....if it takes something like that to motivate a team to play harder...well.....

DD

8. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I am pretty sure Deke made a similar guarantee before in one of our first round series...

9. poprocks

poprocks Member

Look at it this way...this is just more trash talking like it is on the court. Players do this all the time only this time, Mutumbo has made his trash talking public.

10. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

When is the team going to learn to just play the game. I do remember Mutombo guaranteed a victory in a playoff game and we lost. The Rockets are already playing in a hostile environment and now he gives them extra motivation. Jeez!!!!!!

11. poprocks

poprocks Member

Yeah but I had my doubts last time.

This time I believe!!!

12. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

And the media will make sure they rub it down the jazz throats.

13. Asian Sensation

LOL that is bar none the coolest guarantee ever. "RAAAAAAWR wee be praying here on Sunday guysssssss!!! YUHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Work bery HARD yaaa Rawr! "

Deke seems like total man's man and exudes confidence. Especially the way we exposed Utah in game 5 how can you not be confident? We got this!

14. tulexan

tulexan Member

I hope Deke imposes his elbows on the game.

15. dookiester

dookiester Member

i like it. it'll either be a plaxico burress guarantee or a chad johnson guarantee. what's the fun in always playing it safe and keeping your mouth shut just so you can never be wrong.

16. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

I found it.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=96005

Rockets Summary

Stay the course
    Rockets center Dikembe Mutombo did not back off from his guarantee of a Rockets victory.

He said Thursday that he would be wagging his finger in Phoenix in the playoffs' next round.

After the Rockets got the Game 6 win, he was certain they would win Game 7.

"We're going to Phoenix," Mutombo said. "Don't you want to go to Phoenix? We're going to Phoenix.

"That was how confident I was that we were winning Game 6. By winning Game 6, it gives us momentum to make us build more confidence and belief in ourselves that we will win Game 7.

"That's where we are right now. We have faith we will do it."

Tracy McGrady, who said when his Orlando Magic led Detroit 3-1 that he was happy to be in the second round — only to have the Pistons win the series — said he was shocked by Mutombo's comments.

"I was like, man, I've been there before," McGrady said. "Things didn't quite turn out the way I wanted them to. I don't guarantee. I've learned my lesson. It really shocked me to see that."

Also not into guarantees

David Wesley heard about Dikembe Mutombo's bold guarantee prior to Game 6 that the Rockets would advance to play Phoenix in the second round of the Western Conference playoffs.

Even after the Rockets forced Game 7, Wesley refused to join in on the talk.

"I'm not into those," Wesley said. "Everybody can make them right now. It's a guaranteed win. What happens if he's wrong? ... "Tell (Mutombo) to put his house on it. Put that guarantee on it. Tell him to put his contract on it. Then come ask me. Just saying it, so what?"

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Or, both teams play harder.

18. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

can someone pls give a summary of what deke said in this interview? My firefox has this annoying video bug that says an error has occured everytime I run a video it.

19. poprocks

poprocks Member

Here ya go lol

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DdLDRcPcyoo&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DdLDRcPcyoo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

20. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

in 04-05, he did say there will be a game 7 (which there was) but he also said we were gonna win game 7 (which we got clobbered).

i really hate guarantees. don't know why deke did that. don't need to give the jazz anymore motivation than they already have.