1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ch. 13 ABC-Extra Points Discussion about Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ron413, Jun 22, 2002.

Tags:
  1. lovethisgametoo

Is it possible, why if not, to send Francis for J Kidd, in whom I trust a lot.

2. Valio!

Valio! Member

What was Steve asked exactly?

3. Valio!

Valio! Member

sorry...just saw other thread...

4. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Clutch has come out and confirmed the fact that Steve really is pissed about the idea of drafting Ming. So whether the question pertained directly to his game or his general thoughts about Ming, doesnt really seem to matter, because the fact is out that he does not want the Rockets to draft Ming.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

RocketBooster,

I think it does matter. Assume Steve doesn't want Ming on this team. I have no problem with that simply because everyone has an opinion. Just as we have people on this bbs that are pissed we're going to draft Ming and others that are ecstatic about it.

I couldn't care less if Steve's pissed. That's his right. Up till this point he hasn't come out and stated it in public. What I'm saying is that until he does so, I don't think he should be flamed. This is why I was asking in what context was the answer given.

Steve hasn't done anything wrong by disagreeing with the decision to draft Ming. He will have done something wrong

1) If he goes to the media and says it's a bad idea.
    2) If he freezes Ming out of the plays or treats him differently because Ming being drafted was against his wishes.

6. Valio!

Valio! Member

Exactly! Good point, Dr. of Dunk

7. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

DR of Dunk: I understand where your coming from. Then from that perspective, it is important to know the exact question he was asked.

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

let's see:

he's never been able to play with someone like that. what was his tone here, is it he can't play with a center, or he's never had the oppurtunity to? that's 2 completely different meanings.

"it remains to be seen how it will affect my game." what's wrong with this? was the question specifically about steve or was it about the team and he answered about himself. some people want to paint everything he does with the selfish brush. one year ago we were begging the guy to look for himself more, he was too unselfish. has he done a complete 180, i doubt it.

good to see no one overreacting. maybe we should trade him over a soundbite.

9. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Steve is 6' 3'', but still needs to grow up...

10. MysticRyder

MysticRyder Member

Sorry but i saw when Steve said it he did not look happy.

11. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

It's very sad to hear that Francis isn't the thespian I thought him to be, unable to assume pretenses that would have appeased the mobocracy :(

How tragic.

Postulate on, lemmings......

12. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

If Steve eventually does #1 and/or #2, then what will be the perception of him around the league?

From a thread several months ago:

Last summer, we had the Dream debates and his perception of his role and the contract to be offered. Dream left because he decided that his needs (financial and ego) were not going to be met by the Rockets. This summer appears that we will have Steve debates with a Max contract assured, but some questions are arising about his personal goals versus the teams's goals/direction. With Ming <i>booked</i> with games on the Chinese team this summer, there will be limited opportunity for Franics to be swayed by seeing Yao in Westside pickup games and other forms of personal contact. The task of getting Steve to sign on to this falls to Rudy.

Mango

#32 Mango, Jun 23, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2002
  13. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

Kinda sounds like what all the guards did to Griffin last year.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Mango, I think the whole country will get a taste of Yao's game when this summer's world games in Indy is broadcast. Hopefully Francis will bite his tongue at that point and sign the contract...

15. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

To think, it would only take one face to face conversation between he and Rudy to dispel with his apprehension arising from misinformation being spread by periphery figures like Troy.

I'd love to see him take on that kind of authoritative stance to coaching. Of course, I don't think the Rockets put much credence in hearsay, since, even if heard by their own people, is still just that- hearsay.

Many interpret evasiveness as negativity. I'd like to think that the calculated responses from him we've seen thus far wouldn't satisfy your 1st condition.

The job of creating a friendly atmosphere, designing an offense conducive to his abilities, and facilitating the transition to American life doesn't lie on the shoulders of any one player; it lies on the shoulders of the coach, as it should.

If he wants to end this apparent discord between management and Francis, albeit of a tacit nature on Francis' part, then he's fully capable of doing so.

Until Francis does come out in public and directly speak against the direction management is going in, I don't think Rudy would confront him with those kind of allegations. There's too much mutual trust there.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I personally think we're all getting worked up over nothing. Wait until the season starts. Watch Steve play with Ming. Then make your assumptions and decisions. Until then I don't see anyone providing concrete evidence this guy hates playing with Ming so much that he will be a detriment to this team.

And TPL, I swear to God if you keep using big words... (mad smilie placeholder)

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

A malcontent and a spoiled brat. As it stands people are probably on Usenet and other Internet sites spreading rumors about how Francis is a clown and selfish. I haven't checked...

18. Mango

TPL & DoD,

........but why haven't there been any reports of Steve smiling, showing anticipation/eagerness for the upcoming season based on Ming becoming a Rocket?

Mango

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Mango,

I have no doubt he's pissed at the Ming selection because he wanted someone with experience. Clutch said so, and I believe Clutch. My point is, every team has disagreements with coaching, the front office, amongst the players, etc. How many times do you see players backtalking their coaches? It happens often on the court. Players yelling and screaming at each other happens often. Why is this any different? Heck, if anything Steve's trying to hide his displeasure (from what I've been able to read). As I said, until Steve openly does something to prove "I don't want Ming" without a doubt, I can't really blame him. He just seems like one of those guys that has a hard time hiding his emotions and it may bite him in this situation.

20. Mango

Having <i>friends</i> that post your feelings on the team's main fan site doesn't help much either.

Mango