1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Central Florida vs Houston

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Fulgore, Sep 28, 2014.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Mack deserves a chance to fix this hire.

Or at the very least, he deserves to keep his job and let someone else do the football hiring for him.

He's done too much good outside of Levine to kick him to the curb.

2. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

That was such a heartbreaker, i feel bad for Greg Ward, dude played his heart out

3. Mattj

Mattj Member

Did he really though? The name James Dickey ring a bell? The only programs that matter are football and men's hoops and he royally whiffed on both hires. Mack was bringing back James Dickey for another year until Kelvin Sampson was literally walked into his office by a couple of prominent alums. He raised next to nothing to fund the stadium. The stadium was funded because the students voted to raise their student fees for the umpteenth time to get it done. Mack is a complete fraud.

4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I didn't vote for any fee raise. Damn, I'm funding this crap?

5. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I don't disagree that Dickey was an awful hire just as Levine is, but who told you that about Sampson? Please validate.

He raised $60MM and the students kicked in the final $15-20MM to get the projects underway. No idea how much he has raised since, but that's not chump change when you're dealing with Houston Athletics.

FB/MBB are the most important programs by far, but I'm happy we have such great success elsewhere. Low graduation rates and dropping GPAs are not something I take lightly.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

He's too busy trolling the Aggies thread.

7. Mattj

Mattj Member

I am your validation. I was involved. I would know.

8. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

Is Matt j Matt Jackson?

9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

You're telling me you are a "prominent alum" (I love you on the radio and stuff, but you're not like... Jim Nantz or something) and have direct access to Kelvin Sampson and Mack Rhoades?

To be fair I should take "involved" at its most liberal of interpretations. Otherwise, that's pretty cool and slightly frightening, as Dickey was the simplest s**tcanning decision since Dimel.

If you are in the ear of the AD and other prominent alums, I'd love to know the true story behind Nesbitt's dismissal. Especially after his wife went all crazypants schadenfreude at Levine on Twitter after the UTSA loss.

1 person likes this.
  10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Yes, it is.

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Damn, that was deflating. :(

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Why do you need more validation with the followup "who told you...?" He's one of the few on here who many know his identity and he's putting his rep on the line. Many here have provided inside info on the Rockets with much more anonymity and don't receive the same scrutiny. Just take the info for what it's worth as Mattj's claim.

13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Many reasons.

1) I'm naturally curious.

2) It doesn't appear to be a case in which, like cyberx for example, going into greater detail could jeopardize his job, etc.

3) It seems odd that Matt Jackson would be a major player in the University of Houston's athletic department.

4) Matt's (incorrect) discrediting of everything else Rhoades has done for the University raises an eyebrow to me over the veracity of his claim.

Actually he's not putting his rep on the line, because there's no way anyone can disprove what he says. Regardless, just because someone has a known identity doesn't mean they can't be wrong/misled.

Not really. All of those guys get reamed pretty hard. Only after they have a string of successful leaks do they get credit.

Like I said, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and taking the most liberal interpretation of what he has said. "Involved" can be a broad number of things, from personally picking up Sampson and driving him to the AD's office, to being CC'd on an email where someone mentions the idea as a possibility. So, I'm open to hear more about it if Matt J is willing. Otherwise, I still hold that Mack deserves at least a chance to rectify his mistake.

14. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

If MJ is posting this I would tend to believe it.

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I don't see how UH fans weren't done with him after hiring Dickey. I mean just the process involved there was crazy. All along it was gonna be Gillispie and then whoops, he isn't approved. No plan B. No plan at all.

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I consider Billy Gillespie the biggest bullet dodged in the history of the program. Not sure who deserves credit for that though.

If Mack's BB/FB personnel judgement is as bad as it seems, then I'd be open to hiring outside help to carry out those processes considering how much else Mack has done.

17. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

That was Dr Khator that said no to Gillespie. She wanted no part of his baggage.

18. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

Yeah I wanted Gillespi when we hired Dickey. He would have been a nice fit after failing at Kentucky since he knew the texas area. I love the Sampson hire. That's probably the one thing to look forward to as a UH fan other than baseball.

19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Shouldn't that entire process show you the flaws in how he works? The entire fiasco was laughable.

To me an AD hires and fires coaches, raises money and deals with the conferences. He really produced results on those areas.

20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

1 - fine, but I don't think people give out more private nuggets than they need to in here unless they're attention seeking.
    2 - we don't have any idea if this info can ruin relationships or jobs...it's speculation both ways.
    3 - he can just know it happened as opposed to being a major player
    4 - this is the real crux of it. You and him have a major difference of opinion on this man's job performance. Dude throws an in insider nugget and you immediately question it. Sure other people question info in the game action forum, but they're usually being dicks. You can disagree with him and still not slam his info as non-legit. And that's what you're doing, no matter how you try to condition it by doing the "I'm not calling him a liar, but whose your source, yada yada yada." That's what you're doing and you know it and it's bc you think he has an agenda. The rest of the argument is just filler. Hey, maybe you're right, but I was just surprised bc I didn't follow the argument closely and now I get it. No need to sugar coat things.