1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Celtics trade #1 pick to Sixers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jun 16, 2017.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

SAS: Bulls were talking to the Sixers. They wanted the #3 pick & were willing to unload Butler. Philadelphia said "We don't want Butler, we like our youth movement." The Boston Celtics are planning on acquiring Butler. They don't know if they'll be able to but their hope is they'll be able to use the #3 pick to get Butler, go into FA & get Hayward and keep the rest of the team intact & make a run at Cleveland.

Woj:
    Run us through Sixers-Celtics.

For Boston, multiple picks over the next several years. Their strength is at the guard position. For them, to move to #3 & choose between Jackson & Tatum, to get another high pick...it allows Boston to be in position, never mind Butler or George who have been available but what if Anthony Davis or Westbrook become available? They'd be in position to go get a franchise player. If not, they'll keep drafting & building their roster this way. Philly thinks they have a star in Fultz. Brett Brown wanted to give Simmons a chance to be PG. I don't think we'll see that now.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That's a tight upper limit on the pick. Guess Ainge would rather gamble on Kings pick being better the following year than taking a 6 or later pick next year.

As the Celtics' "Best of Enemies", Magic will have quite the incentive to win more games next year.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

That's a pretty good haul for Boston for moving down two spots. They may not have wanted Fultz anyway and potentially get another high pick for the future. They are unbelievable in their asset management.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Pick management

7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Why so specific? Picks are assets.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

Billy King should have his jersey retired by the Celtics

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Actually, Boston should put him on top of a slow-moving red fire engine and give him a parade.

Vivi likes this.
  12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

He knows the idiot Lakers (*clears throat* Magic) will go after the hometown PG in Lonzo Ball and let some other talent like Josh Jackson or Jayson Tatum fall to them.

Say what you will about Ainge but he built this team before cashing out and developing those draft picks. Brown is still a nobody hustle guy with no shot and this pick is being parlayed for even MORE future draft picks. That sh** is genius on top of already having a team that went to the ECF.

So I say, stupidass Nets, Mavs, Suns, and Hawks for letting them get so damn good so damn fast with "change" to spare.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, but didn't he also say he was picking for need.

Is it more like Ainge saying:
    "I can't make up my mind between best player or best fit. So, I might as well trade down, and get the best fit."

Celtics beat reporters in damage control, as most all Celtics fans hate this trade.

malakas likes this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. Normalus

Normalus Member

What if 76ers drafts Lonzo Ball? That would be funny.

da_juice and justtxyank like this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lol

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The only reason this trade makes sense for the Celtics is if they truly weren't going to pick Fultz anyway. Which sounds true.

Even still... I personally do t think it's a ton of return.

Basically they got one future first round pick... that is likely to be a lotto pick (but still might not be... though let's be real it will be lol), that may not be for two more years. Best case scenario is they get the #2 pick next year from the Lakers. Now... if that pans out... fing fantastic trade!!!

But if I'm a betting man I'm betting it ends up being something like the 8th pick in two years.

I mean that's definitely something valuable for moving g down two spots. And Boston still has the Nets pick next year. They're still sitting pretty. And they still have a ton of picks to move for a Westbrook, AD type.

But if Fultz turns into a top PG in this league it will look horrible.

They could t have gotten better value in picks. But you'd think if they wanted butler they'd just offer Chicago the #1 pick and be done with it

justtxyank likes this.
  19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I get the feeling Lo Bell will pull a Kobe

Rocket River

20. malakas

malakas Member

Ainge bet it all on his drafting and seeing smth noone else can.
    BUT he's not a good drafter.

If they get Butler how are they planning to pay all those? Horford, IT, Butler, Hayward..4 max contracts.