1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Celtics hire Brad Stevens

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 3, 2013.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's a good move, if it doesn't work out he'll still get a offer from a major basketball school I'm sure.

2. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

no doubt.

its pitino like...move to the NBA...doesnt work, get bought out and any major college team takes you back

3. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Hell ya love this guy HUGE day for him

4. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Great hire for the Celtics, genius move for Stevens. I kind of hate Ainge (I'll never forget him throwing the ball into Elie's face as his Suns were losing to the Rockets -- nor my joy when Horry threw that towel in his face...which was also Suns related), but he makes some good decisions sometimes. He's a so so player evaluator, but when it comes to trades and organizational hirings, he does a good job.

5. what

what Member

damn, im sad about this. i love to see brad in the college game. would have been nice if he ha become a coaching legend like coach k.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

No way Rondo will accept this. He's good as gone.

7. johnnybravo

johnnybravo Member

Jason Terry and Paul Pierce? 35. Kevin Garnett? 37.

Brad Stevens is 36. Had the trade with the Nets not happened, the Celtics would have had a coach that was younger than one of their players. Has that ever happened in the NBA?

8. HamJam

Ehh...my initial reaction is to agree with you...but you can never tell with Rondo. The guy is obsessed with Connect Four for crying out loud. Rondo is one of those guys who you think you have internalized how they are going to react to certain things, but then they always surprise you.

My point is, you can never tell with him. He and Stevens may connect over something weird like they both have a similar inconsiquential tick, or they both like some strange old show that from the past no one else watched or they both drink earl grey tea.

Again, you are probably right -- but with eccentrics like Rondo, you never know who they are going to inexplicably like or dislike.

9. HamJam

I think that might have been the case back when Lawrence Frank took over the Nets job. I believe several players he had were his age or older at that time.

1 person likes this.
  10. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

Good.
    Very good.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Brad Stevens hire is great for young guys like myself trying to become a coach . #36</p>&mdash; Antoine Walker (@WalkerAntoine8) <a href="https://twitter.com/WalkerAntoine8/statuses/352572282633334784">July 3, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

That's LOL material.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Who knows if he'll have the same kind of success. Didn't exactly work out for them when they got Pitino.

Hate it for Butler.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Smart move on the 6 year deal. Brad Steven should be excellent when he grows up.

15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Very good hire for the C's

16. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I think it could be a good situation for him. With the Celtics going into rebuild mode, there won't be a lot of pressure on him to win immediately.

17. Major

Major Member

He also has a chance to mold young players into his analytical philosophy from the minute they step into the NBA. I think it would be harder to take on a veteran team with people used to the NBA style of doing things their own way.

18. MONON

MONON Member

IU loves this hire! :grin:

Seriously though, it is a good hire. Will be interesting to see how he does. I'm pulling for him.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>The Boston Celtics signed Brad Stevens to a six year, $22 million contract, sources told Yahoo! Sports.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/352588636623089664">July 4, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

When he took Butler to the back to back championship I rememeber watching a lot of interviews and one documentary about him. I have a lot of respect for him and was a fan of his after getting to know him a little more. His coaching style and the way he uses analytics is amazing, especially with his resume so far. That being said, the NBA is also about dealing with prima-donnas and inflated egos. I don't know if I can see him handling that well, but we won't know until it happens. Maybe he can handle it well, and get players respect, especially one with huge egos. (Like Rondo) Im definitely going to be paying attention to the celtics more jsut to see the rondo dynamic and how he handles the team. 6 year contract as well, really interested to see what he does if he doesnt get fired until then.