1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Celebrity whose death and subsequent loss you felt most

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Eric Riley, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

I could mention Lennon, Cobain, or most recently Ledger, but I'd rather hear them, or others, coming from you guys and see how you felt about their deaths.

For me it would have to be Phil Hartman. His death was sudden and tragic, and I still hate his then-wife for what she did. Simply put that guy was a comedic genius who had a wide variety of voices, styles, and mannerisms. I loved his skits in SNL, his role in the very underrated and critically acclaimed Newsradio, and of course Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz from The Simpsons. It's sad to think he can no longer portray those iconic characters.

I would have loved to see Newsradio live on for more seasons; the show just wasn't the same without him. According to Wikipedia, he was even pushing for live-action Troy McClure movie, and the producers behind The Simpsons were behind him. Ah well. Funny guy. Taken too soon.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3JpwjnMFlJI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3JpwjnMFlJI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xO7EFfdX8Rs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xO7EFfdX8Rs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

2. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Chris Farley

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Mine would have to be Tupac.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Phil Hartman for me as well

and Newsradio was sooo underrated. 2nd best show ever behind Seinfeld imo

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Chris Farley – I still remember where I was and what I was doing when my buddy called me to tell me he had died. I was such a fan of his. He was the only guy who could make me laugh so hard that my stomach would hurt. And by all accounts, he seemed to be a genuinely nice guy who didn’t let his fame go to his head. RIP.

Hillel Slovak – Again, I remember where I was when I found out he died. Me and my friends had just started getting into the Red Hot Chili Peppers at that time and we were huge fans. Sadly, they have never been the same since he died.

6. Fatty FatBastard

Oh, whatever. Their tribute song to him, "Knock me down" was what got me into RHCP in the first place. Mother's Milk was a great album, and Blood Sugar Sex Magic was awesome as well. From there, meh.

My celebrity loss was Burgess Meredith.

7. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Not really a national celebrity, but an Iowan one. Chris Street was a basketball player for the Iowa Hawkeyes. He died in an auto accident in January 1993 during the season. He was the heart of the team and one of our best players. Iowa was in the top 25 then and the wind just left the sails when he died. Iowa still gives out a Chris Street award at the end of the year.

For Rocket fans, Ryan Bowen wore #40 because that was Chris's number.

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The deaths of Chris Farley, John (sorry Jim) Belushi, and Phil Hartman were some that I really felt personally. These were great comedians and I guess since I loved them so much...it just really hurt to see them go.

On the other side, the death of Anna Nicole didn't bother me so much. She abused those pills left and right. I think she wanted to die. Tough to feel something about someone who is on a death spiral like that.

#8 Surfguy, Mar 19, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  9. joesr

joesr Member

Aliyah

beautiful women and Jet Li refused to do a movie after her death, good enough for me. oh and she is beatiful

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Jim Belushi is dead?

11. Shaud

Shaud Member

Aaliyah, I was young when she died, actually cried. :eek:

Sean Taylor

12. joesr

joesr Member

copied!!!!! jkjk

13. Shaud

Shaud Member

lol Actually was just going to put Sean Taylor but your post reminded me.

14. joesr

joesr Member

i still youtube her videos :(

15. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Being a Chicago Bears fan for the better part of my life, Walter Payton's passing really hit me.

16. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Aye Crickey...the crocodile hunter.

17. hjg877

hjg877 Member

No votes for Selena?

18. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Hernell "Jeep" Jackson was a UTEP basketball player in the mid/late eighties, a very good player and seemingly a great guy. After his senior season he was playing in a charity game on Fort Bliss against a bunch of Houston Oilers when he collapsed and died. I remember being ten years old and crying my eyes out that night, knowing that I would never see Jeep play again...

And the really sad part came out later, when it was discovered that he died due to cocaine usage combined with a heart ailment and it could have been avoided if he hadn't been a moron...

19. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

That one really got to me as well.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Jimi Hendrix. I was a huge fan and had seen him four times, all the times he played in Houston. Three with the Experience and once with Band of Gypsies. After him, John Lennon. They are the kinds of incidents where what you were doing when you heard about it remains imprinted in your mind. If we included politicians, Jack Kennedy would easily top the list.