1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CD] Yi Hardens Stance Against Bucks; Sina poll: 82% Say Yi Should Stay with Bucks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SamFisher, Jul 20, 2007.

1. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

Ahh, okay, I see what you are saying. I think that the reason why they wanted him in a strong Asian city though, was because many Chinese would show support since on of their own is playing for their hometown team.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Yi's girlfriend wishes he would harden his stance.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I just don't get it. Here are the 3 reasons mostly cited why Yi doesn't want to play for the Bucks.

1. Their official reason: not enough playing time. Sure, there are other teams that need a PF more than Milwaukee. But it's not like the Bucks are stacked. If he can't earn time on this weak team, what makes them thing he has the abilities to play more on other teams? Besides, sometimes not having the pressure to play a big role might be the best for a weak minded rookie to develop.

2. Endorsement money. As SamFisher has pointed out, since when does the location of the team affect endorsement? In the endorsement world, the players make the teams, not the other way around. If you have talent and have charisma, you get endorsement deals, doesn't matter where you play. And your team becomes famous because of all the jerseys that are sold.

3. Asian population. Okay, maybe Milwaukee isn't a good place for a Chinese guy coming over the adjust to the culture. But hey, you are on the road half of the year anyway. And you have enough money to fly off to any city whenever you have time to spare. Lots of non-Rockets players have a home in Houston. You can have a home anywhere if you are making millions a year. And if they are thinking about fans, I don't think local fans make that much of a difference comparing the vast fan base in the world. In this day and age of TV and internet, what does it matter where you are?

I am inclined to think that the agent does have a role in this. Yi is just a kid. He doesn't know enough to make all these decisions. What he needs is not an agent, he needs someone he can trust that can give him sound advice. And he needs a public image consultant.

That said, personality can't be fabricated. Yi doesn't seem to have the charm and maturity that Yao has. It is not just how talented you are. It is how you carry yourself in the public.

4. Panda

Panda Member

The Bucks haven't made serious noise in the last twenty years, and it won only 28 games last year. If Yao played on the Bucks and the Bucks keep losing, his star power might not be as big as it is now. Factor in that Yi isn't as good as Yao, I think maybe the people behind Yi thinks it's better to land him on a team that can give him adequate minutes, has higher media exposure and better chance to make the playoffs. I don't know, just a perspective to throw in.

They could also be caught in their self perceived marketing genius. If they believe Yi can put up all star numbers in his rookie year, it doesn't harm him if he pulls a stunt now playing hardball against an NBA team. It only increases Yi's global presence when such stories are good media material. See Francis, forcing Vancouver to trade him didnt' bite him in the a$$ because he produced in the rookie year.

Or maybe they just want to increase leverage on the Bucks, so the Bucks bend over and yield to favorable clauses in contract, like guaranteed playing time or starting role, cooperating with Yi's CNT duty and such.

Or Yi is just another Francis who really just doesn't like Milwaukee.

It could be none of the above, I don't know, just trying to figure our this damn thing - do people on the Yi's side have a clear and legit objective on behalf of their selfish interests or Yi's interest, or they are just plain stupid.

5. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

Do Chinese people cheer Yi at all?

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You need to learn your history man. They lost 4-3 in the Eastern Conference Finals in 2001. A good team w/Allen, Cassell, and Robinson.

7. tsunami

tsunami Member

I agree. No one like him, and his image is simply damaged, which he deserves.

8. devin23

devin23 Member

I went from sympathizing with his situation at first to just plain out disliking him now. If someone is doing everything they can to make you feel at home, you should just be grateful, not continuingly rejecting their hospitality.

9. Rover16

Rover16 Member

Steve francis did the same thing. He even went to vancouver for one day and never smiled the whole time. Said all he heard about vancouver was that it was cold, rainy and he was trying to look for some grizzly bears while he was there. He pouted worse than yi on draft day and totally disrespected vancouver worse than Yi has. Francis hid behind the excuse of wanting to be closer to his grandmother.

10. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

ya know..there really is nothing wrong with Vancouver. He should have just sucked it up and played there. Just like Yi should suck it up and play in Milwaukee. He'd find after a time that he actually liked the city...so he should just go.

11. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

Vancouver's not cold at all..

12. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

Well damn, I'm glad he didn't, because I liked Stevie when he played here back then, and I am sure I will now that he is back.

13. devin23

devin23 Member

Haha, i dunno about that. If he did stay, houston may never have had steve francis. :p All in all, I think he did pretty well in his years in houston.

14. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

particularly the argument about lack of playing time, its like his peeps are the only one's who haven't looked at the Bucks roster and also didn't watch his summer league performances

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=636138

16. metalshred

metalshred Member