1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CD Stepping Down - Rockets New GM Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by apostolic3, Mar 28, 2006.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pchan

pchan Member

I don't know who they have drafted.. but i know boston has a group of pretty good young talents.. like Delonte West, K. Perkins.. Al jefferson... ryan gomes.. I would take any of them on the rox team, esp. west, perkins, and gomes. I believe they all have less than 4 years of experience... but I could be wrong.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

He wasn't the GM.

3. docgundy

docgundy Member

Actually I just kind of forgot about Clutchfans. I remembered late 2003 about it, but forgot my sn and pw because I have so many on so many other things. It's all good now. I haven't obviously been around here, but I've come a long way, working my way up from espn to fanhome to realgm. They're all trashed now (well at least the rockets forum on realgm is currently). There is no place like Clutchfans. I owe everything to Clutch for letting me back in.

4. terse

terse Member

This is why I mentioned the new-coach-with-partial-GM-powers scenario, D'Antoni style. This way, Morey could crunch the numbers in the background to his heart's content, and the new supercoach would handle the basketball stuff.

5. docgundy

docgundy Member

Why can't JVG just handle the basketball stuff? JVG is a supercoach.

6. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

What's with all the Morey hate? He sounds like he'll do a great job. I'm sad to see CD retire but there's a time for everything. Shocking news but I'm excited to see the changes in player selection criteria the organization will make.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Agreed. This kid might be a rookie, but he posts like a veteran.

8. docgundy

docgundy Member

It's actually not shocking. CD was mentioned last year as pondering retirement according to ESPN, I believe Les talked him out of it by offering him that extension which expires after next season, and ESPN reported 2 weeks ago CD was thinking retirement again. ESPN brought up Kiki's name, so I'm not surprised. Richard Justice had an article back in October documenting CD, how he's pretty much blind, he should have been the coach instead of Rudy, but health has always been an issue with him.

9. docgundy

docgundy Member

Haha it's funny that I'm called a kid just because I started posting. I love this forum.

10. Espresso

Espresso Member

JVG as supercoach...

I can see the day he purchase the whole old newyork band, including their maintainance guy

11. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

Wow! That's some serious science. Well, let's hope he can do well. :)

12. terse

terse Member

Apart from all the other objections to JVG (which I have listed in other threads), JVG's problem is that he puts the fans to sleep. Zzzzzz....

Les probably desperately wants to sell out the Toy Box every night, which is probably why he hired an MBA numbers guy. Morey is going to have to find a coach who has an entertaining style and yet can win.

13. pchan

pchan Member

so basically his method was not working..?

14. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Who is this guy? I got a post number of one in his initial response and am slightly curious to know what the heck he's talking about. Happy he's giddy though.

Regarding his contentions specifically regarding JVG (or "whoever is coaching the Rockets" :rolleyes: ) I'd have to believe Morey's hiring is a double-edged sword - despite the "Yale-MIT connection".

JVG is a walking-talking marketing nightmare. He does use the media to apply pressure on players he can't seem to reach and does have occasional "freakouts" where his subtelty is worthy of any sledgehammer.

If Morey's hiring is a signal toward JVG's stewardship then our future GM has just made a very interesting career move. If this is a great hire I'll be happy, but I still hope to read CD's book one day. Because this does reek.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Why? Every interview I hear of JVG's, he's talking about how "last month we shot 42.3% as a team with a peanut vendor named Frank in the stands that night". JVG can be a stats freak himself.

16. docgundy

docgundy Member

Well, I don't know all the specifics, but I highly doubt Morey was all out for Scalabrine. I know Boston hired a doctor to conduct studies on players like Scalabrine, who is in the highest level possible, with TMac, MJ, Magic, Kobe, I don't know who else. This test isn't just based on athletic ability or talent obviously, but on other aspects. I'll post a link tomorrow that describes it. Morey probably evaluated Scalabrine, but Ainge was the one who gave him the ridiculous contract. Brian Scalabrine can be very serviceable for 1.5 million a year.

Yeh I'm knew, but I'm a staunch JVG supporter. So you guys have to get used to my JVG advocacy. I find it very hard for Morey to fire a guy right when he's given a job. If anyone's going to fire JVG, it will be Les and nobody else. Morey should actually be looking up to JVG. JVG really opened up the whole barrier for guys like Morey: smart, baby-faced, hard working guys who really come out of nowhere and succeed. (a la Lawrence Frank, Billy Donovan, flurry of mlb GM's) And I said this earlier, they have that MIT-Yale connection going (even though JVG dropped out of yale because he got no pt).

17. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

no he wasn't a stats guy, he was a gut guy (like his gut told him steve would be a good fit because he shoved amare). he was an english major at harvard where he played college hockey. weisbrod was no stats guy.

those are the kind of players that benefit most from advanced statistical analysis. they look deeper than 5.0 ppg or 3 rbg. when t-mac was in toronto he was a favortite of john hollinger's PER analysis and the brain typing (he supposedly has the ideal brain type for basketball, same as jordan).

#117 hashmander, Mar 29, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
    1 person likes this.
  18. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

No, its from the brain doctor John Neidnagel.

He's the same man who told the Chargers Ryan Leaf would be a bust before they drafted him, and they didnt believe him.

He also told ORL that Tmac's braintype was an ISTP (same as guys like MJ, SHaq, J. Kidd, Ben Wallace, AI), and this is why they gave him a max deal although he wasnt even an allstar.

He has made plenty of decisions for many a sports teams, and players.

Its really interesting to be honest with you and he usses certain methods to determine what braintype you are and it tells you alot about how a player can perform say, under pressure, how your muscles either tense up or relax, if a player is an introvert or whatever. Check the site out, although you'll have to check around.

http://www.braintypes.com/

check it out

19. docgundy

docgundy Member

you saved me a bunch of time McGrady. Thanks. This is why I love this forum. We truly are a community.

20. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

You know most people dont know about this stuff and dont realize how it does help people.

What you dont know is Ainge got rid of the braindoctor (he's a control freak if you didnt know), but he still tries his methods.

BS was brought in because of his ISTP braintype. Although not the best in the world, put in certain situations, he's they thinker, the kind of guy that will look to make the right play, etc...

This is something Kobe lacks in his braintype Kobe is an isFp... F meaning feeler... so he would in those situations go off of his feelings and trust his instincts rather than the system he plays in, which is why you see him not pass the ball alot in crunch situations although a teammate may have a better shot, or when he gets flustered, he'll keep shooting although he's bricking for days.

Its complicated, then its not....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.