1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CD Stepping Down - Rockets New GM Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by apostolic3, Mar 28, 2006.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terse

terse Member

The first thing the number-crunching Morey will notice is that JVG's ugly ball style turns away the fans in droves. So I hope JVG is on his way out of here.

With JVG gone, there would be room to steal a good coach from some other team. This would be possible if we offered the new guy some GM powers, similar to what D'Antoni has in Phoenix. With that kind of an inducement, I'm sure lots of coaches would be lining up for the job.

2. onlyo

onlyo Member

CD is too old and his health is not very well,he should retire.

3. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Per earlier poster:

"I wonder how JVG and Morey will co-exist. CD was the type that could get along with everyone. It will be interesting to see how JVG responds to Morey's stat theories."

JVG and this guy will get along very well. Please recall Vn Gundy's backgroundwith Riley. He compiled copious data for Riles to prepare for upcoming games-diferent aplication, but similar mind set.

I do not know ho this translates into the art of evaluating talent, heart, chemistry and intangibles like player matchup potential.

CD has been ready to retire- I hope this works and I am cautiously optimistic.

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

Isn't Dennis Lindsey the head scout/ main talent evaluator anyway?

The new guy seems like the best of both worlds for Les and Jeff. A businessman for Les and a stat-centric GM for Van Gundy.

5. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

How have the Boston Celtics done in the draft and free agent market since Morey's been there?

I know Gerald Green was drafted by them, but can't remember any other moves they made.

6. docgundy

docgundy Member

Yeah, someone said it earlier, Morey will do all the background stuff, behind the scenes, JVG and Lyndsey have bigger roles now with respect to talent and skills.

7. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

I'd rather our GM have more basketball experience than statistics experience. For an example, Sun's Diaw's number is not great until he broke out in Phenix. Hope our GM has the ability to find such talent.

8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

a delicious brew indeed.

90 minute?

9. docgundy

docgundy Member

Finding talent like Diaw is exactly what Morey can do. he doesn't go by pure statistics or numbers, rather he already has created a model to evaluate player potential, regardless of the skills. It's more a psychology, body-language, type of thing that goes along with certain numbers that he uses. I can't pull up a link, but he wrote a book about this stuff, and I believe it was him who brought in the doctors to analyze players, which led to the Scalabrine signing. So he can evaluate potential (not really talent, that's what JVG and Lyndsey are for), but in a much more unorthodox manner. I can verify my post later when I have time on my hands. It is a bit nebulous as is.

10. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

It does not really matter it's called a healthy Yao and T-MAC and a Bunch of role players who can hit an open jumper or grab a key rebound or just be able to feed the ball to Yao in the post.

That covers the next 4-5 years after that we can worry about who is running the show.

Look it is very very important who we hire but lets not freak out over it. Right now a year before this guy even gets here.

11. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

We suck! Fire Daryl Morey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

12. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Hi Daryl.

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

Tim Shea, Suns head international scout.

Rocks don't need a GM who does his own scouting (Zeke), they'd be better served with someone who can make trades happen.

14. docgundy

docgundy Member

Hi Cohen. I've actually been a member since 2002, but I forgot my screen name and password in 2003 and haven't posted since. I've been reading everyday though.

15. Cohen

Wonder how this will change the face of the organization. I like CD and will miss him.

Might as well never wear the red-n-gold retro jerseys again...

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Good post. Glad to hear CD is sticking around for one more year to show him the ropes. I hope this guy works out because I was hoping for a known commodity like Kiki.

17. Espresso

Espresso Member

he's ability on tade is never proved... doubt he's gonna be an excellent GM with all the digit mind - being a vice is one thing, taking over all business is another...

knack, canniness, bargin, that's essential for player trades, not a stat brain

18. Cohen

Hi docgundy.

How does one forget your moniker? (Ya know I really didn't think you were Morey of course)

19. TracyMcCrazyeye

Wow, if the GM of the Celtics is taking over for CD, this is not gonna look good. I haven't really seen any big player transactions by Morey so hopefully we will not be a repeat of the current Celtics. :(

20. Cohen

I agree those are the more important capabilities, but the abilities mentioned are not mutually exclusive so I hope no one judges him before he's done anything other than signing the employment agreement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.