1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CD Stepping Down - Rockets New GM Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by apostolic3, Mar 28, 2006.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

2. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Did you notice his overview of his book. The guy could use a proofreader:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A1IDL3FWNEDBU5/002-3157960-3045621?_encoding=UTF8

Not really a big deal, I just happened to notice it. The guy is apparently a major stat-head.

3. SamFisher

More:

http://alum.mit.edu/ne/noteworthy/profiles/morey.html

Daryl Morey GM '00
    Playing the Basketball Game with Numbers

(First published in Technology Review, Dec. 2005/Jan. 2006)

Daryl Morey GM '00

Though he stands 6'4", it wasn't Daryl Morey's height that got him his job with the Boston Celtics. And it certainly wasn't his small-town Ohio roots. Morey is the only person in the basketball franchise's front office who didn't grow up in New England. What compelled the new owners to hire Morey in 2003 as senior vice president of operations and information was his consulting skills. His passion for statistical sports analysis didn't hurt, either.

Morey focuses on arena operations, risk management, basketball analytics, and ticket sales strategy, pricing, and technology. His grasp of statistical analysis makes him uniquely suited to a relatively new sports management strategy that looks deep into the numbers behind the game to predict future performance.

"The reason that opportunity exists is because the ownership groups buying teams are very different than in the past," says Morey. "The franchise is their primary asset and they come from backgrounds with an analytical focus such as venture capital, private equity, and management consulting. In the past, sports franchises were secondary assets in the portfolio of individuals who made their money in industrial-based businesses."

In a way, Morey had been preparing for his role with the Celtics since he was a kid shooting hoops and devouring baseball stats. He read every Baseball Abstract published by sports statistician Bill James, then was awed to find himself working alongside the man himself at STATS, Inc., a Chicago sports information company. At the time, Morey was an undergraduate computer science major at Northwestern University.

While at MIT, Morey helped found the Sloan Leadership Club, which brought 18 speakers to campus. He and Carl Stjernfeldt GM '00, now at Battery Ventures, also arranged business networking meetings between MBA students and MIT research centers, an endeavor they dubbed, "The Plant Tour Network."

Morey, who lives with his wife, Ellen and children Karen, 5 and Scott, 3 in Natick, Mass., teaches a course he developed at Sloan titled, Analytical Sports Management. "I think there's a big opportunity for Sloan to be at the leading edge of providing the new management of sports teams," he says.
    By Sharron Kahn Luttrell[​IMG]

4. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

wow

I thought he is staying for another two years, at least...

5. SamFisher

More Random Daryl Morey Facts:

He once roundhouse kicked Bill James and....oh never mind.

HEre's another article:
    http://mitsloan.mit.edu/mba/alumni/morey.php
    Featured Alumni
    Daryl Morey, MBA ’00

Senior Vice President, Operations and Information
    Boston Celtics
    Boston, Mass.

As it turns out, Daryl Morey spent most of his life preparing for his job with the Boston Celtics. As a college student, he worked part–time for STATS, Incorporated, and invented a statistical method for calculating team win percentages from raw points scored in basketball, football, and hockey.

When he graduated from MIT Sloan, he joined The Parthenon Group as a principal consultant and director of knowledge management. At Parthenon, Morey got great exposure to the business of sports by leading the valuation analysis first for one of the Boston Red Sox acquisition teams and then for the group that ultimately bought the Boston Celtics and took it private. With Parthenon’s blessing, he pursued his dream job with the new owners.
    Numbers are only part of the picture

Morey’s first priority at the Celtics was customer relationship management.

As he notes, “With a sports team, the bottleneck to revenue is ticket sales. You have to know what your customers want and find ways to reach new segments.”

Morey has since extended his reach to player forecasting, where a model his team built forecasts prospects’ future success in the NBA. He is quick to point out that the numbers are only one data point, used in combination with psychological profiling and scouting.

“Basketball is an intensely human game, where the personal aspect is very, very important. Analysis can point you in the right direction, but it’s possible to take it too far. A Danny Ainge [Celtics Executive Director of Basketball Operations] needs to integrate the analytical stuff with his knowledge and experience to make the right decision,” explains Morey.

He is now working on analytical approaches for on–the–court decisions, acknowledging how difficult they are to implement. In order to make a difference, the analysis has to be applied by the coaching staff and then translated for the players to carry out.
    A winner–take–all talent business

At MIT Sloan, Morey focused on knowledge management, an area he began to explore in jobs with Monsanto, Searle, and The MITRE Corporation during and after his undergraduate years at Northwestern.

“The MIT Sloan faculty is so amazingly open,” he says. “You can develop your own ideas and then bring them to professors for critique. Everyone should use these opportunities to engage with people who have unique knowledge.”

Today, Morey is teaching at MIT Sloan himself. Together with Professor Stephen Graves and Assistant Professor Shane Frederick, Morey offers a half–course on sports management, a field in which he believes MIT Sloan can be a leader.

“There’s an academic argument about whether sports management is its own discipline,” says Morey. “But the sports industry is certainly unique. It is a winner–take–all talent business with aspects that are similar to nonprofit management, as for most owners the bottom line is about winning, not profit.

“Also, teams used to cost less, and they tended to be owned by people who made their money in industrial businesses. That’s changing today, when sale prices run from $300 million to $1 billion and there are new, younger owners who come from venture capital, private equity, and consulting firms. The purchase is a significant portion of their portfolio, and they run the teams using an analytical approach. It adds up to a great opportunity for MBAs.”

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think this is a bit strange. Why get this dude? I just don't see how his resume translates into GM qualifications.

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I wonder how JVG and Morey will co-exist. CD was the type that could get along with everyone. It will be interesting to see how JVG responds to Morey's stat theories.

8. Outlier

Outlier Member

Maybe he is a classy guy like Les Anderson?

9. SamFisher

I thnk it's pretty clear that Les is trying to find the Theo Epstein of the NBA. I don't know of any teamm that's gone this route yet, but I think it's an innovative idea and worth exploring.

10. CHC

CHC Member

So does anyone know whether this guy has been a GM before? How was he? Any previous basketball experiences? Any good with picking 'the right players'?

11. SamFisher

12. SamFisher

with apologies to Man-Ram, I present.....

What's in Daryl Morey's CD(mp3) Player?

... I sh-t you not....

Daryl Morey
    VP Operations and Information, Boston Celtics
    Wednesday, March 3, 2004
    *Into the Woods - "A Very Nice Prince"
    *Into the Woods - "Agony"
    *Into the Woods - "No More"
    *Pacific Overtures - "Someone in a Tree"
    *Pacific Overtures - "Pretty Lady"
    *Pacific Overtures - "Poems"
    *Assassins - "Ballad of Booth"
    *Assassins - "Ballad of Czolgosz"
    *Assassins - "Ballad of Guiteau"
    *Assassins - "How I Saved Roosevelt"
    *Merrily We Roll Along - "Our Time"
    Shaka Zulu - "We Are Growing"
    Shaka Zulu - "Pampata (Wemsheli Wami)"
    Falsettoland - "Holding to the Ground"
    2nu - "This is Ponderous"
    2nu - "Count 'em Up Queek"

http://web.mit.edu/echemi/www/040303.html

13. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

Great! Let's fire the poor GM for an inknown commodity. Not smart!

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

hilarious, 80 threads on this.. =P

15. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Thanks! Your paste job is much better than mine several posts back! :cool:

16. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

Sounds just like the mentally insane genius we need. ;)

17. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I like this move. We think outside of the box and get a young guy that we can develop under the tutelage of CD next season. I think it is a big risk, but big reward.

18. SamFisher

19. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I just hope this guy can turn this team around so we are as good as the Celtics!!

Oh...wait... :(

20. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I can see it now:

Morey: Listen Jeff. I really think you should be giving Hayes some more time. His adjusted PER and +/- is amazing.

JVG: I'm the coach around here. I'll do what I want.

Morey: Well at least consider cutting down on Bowen's minutes he's-

JVG (cutting him off): I never want to hear anything like that again. You understand? NEVER... EVER... EVER!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.