1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CD Stepping Down - Rockets New GM Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by apostolic3, Mar 28, 2006.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

docgundy wrote the following post a couple years ago in this thread:

[rquoter]
    Here's what Phil Maymin, a Boston sportswriter, has to say about Morey:

"If you want to see Moneyball applied to basketball, Daryl Morey is your guy. Over the next 5-10 years you've got to believe that quantitative analysis is where it's at, especially in establishing chemistry. Defining roles and finding role players. It's one of the toughest problems in the world but also the most important for a team game where as you unfortunately know even having two of the best players in the game is not enough to win. It's the hidden reason why San Antonio and Detroit have done so well. Those GMs are old-school too but they constantly worry about chemistry. Despite the Celtics record there is no denying their chemistry is rock solid and improving. Talent alone doesn't win games anymore (cf. Knicks).

On the flipside it would be unfair to label him a numbers guy only. While he's obviously world-class when it comes to quantitative analysis, pure numbers guys can't really look at high school guys and tend to focus on college players as prospects, yet with Daryl involved the Celtics drafted three high schoolers, all doing extremely well (Perk, Big Al, Green). He understands the game and knows talent when he sees it.

He's got the whole package. You will be very happy with him. Kiki is a
    terrific rebuilding GM, in jettisoning old contracts etc. and bringing in talent. But the next step is moving some of that talent to build a better team. The Celtics are at that stage as per the Ricky-Wally trade. The Knicks are past due. (Maybe so is Denver?) But in Houston you don't want to rebuild from scratch, you want to build around your two superstars, right? For that, the best person short of Joe Dumars is Daryl Morey.
    [/rquoter]

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Wow he has gained a ton of weight since he was hired.

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

It makes it a lot easier for everyone to go back and see what they said 2 1/2 years ago, and to quote posts if necessary.

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Hmm... i didn't think of that, good call CCR.

I don't remember where I stood with Morey, but i know i like him now.

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Bingo. Nice catch, durvasa.

Of course, I wasn't 100% sure of Morey at first, but thought it was a calculated risk. Going with yet another re-tread basketball player backfires more often than it pays off (Steve Kerr in Phoenix, for example). Many of these guys operate on gut feeling, which is only slightly better than guessing. Good statistical analysis take a lot of the guesswork out of it and makes a GM less likely to make that franchise-crushing idiotic move (Kidd to the Mavs? WTF?!? How desperate was THAT move?).

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

that was a horrible move just like shaq to the suns. those people are looking at there names and not there current production. and there only going to get worse as time goes on.

in saying that i hope the mavs get the 7th or 8th seed this year and we get to see them in the playoffs. how hard to think tmac would play in that series???

7. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

lol, hindsight is 20/20

Juwan Howard ----> Mike James
    Mike James + Bonzi Wells ----->Bobby Jackson
    Bobby Jackson + Donte Greene -----> Ron Artest

Wow, with just that 1 signing and 1 draft pick Morey turned Howard into Artest.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I never doubted Morey's ability in evaluating talents and values. I am one of those who had faith in quantitative analysis. What I worried two years ago was whether Morey had the ability to deal with player agents and other GMs.

Knowing what players to get is one thing. Knowing how to get them is another. It has little to do with analytic.

But wow, he has shown that he is a shrewd business man.

9. towW

towW Member

Don't forget Dorsey too! :D

10. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

He and the blazers GM are the cream of the crop.

11. PhilCollins

PhilCollins Contributing Member

SO so so glad we got him

12. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

it's kinda interesting that Morey drafted Gerald Green and dropped him on two different teams.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i'm glad they signed landry, but morey did nothing great on this one, he low balled him to the end and ended up paying their price? what's so great

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think the assumption is that Morey was a hand in driving down Landry's market value with his negotiating tactics. Not sure how much there is to that.

If nothing else, we can congratulate Morey for not being undisciplined and using the MLE on another player or offering (close to) the full MLE to Landry earlier in the offseason.

15. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

When you consider how often other GMs overpay for their free agents, you can't but be grateful to have a GM who actually knows and understands the art of negotiating with an agent.

See --> Rashard Lewis, $120MM contract.

Heck, even Joe Dumars just overpaid for freaking Kwame Brown.

16. #96in the #

#96in the # Member

awww man that really sucks that cd is stepping down. I really enjoyed him and his life personality. To the game :mad:

17. yobod

yobod Member

Ummmm, you understand that this happened 2 years ago, and that this thread is just being revisited? Carroll Dawson stepped down from the Rockets at the end of the 06-07 season, and Morey was our GM for the entire year last year.

18. Michael Phelps

I think he knows, that's probably why he isn't using black font.

19. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

Thank you for being our GM, Daryl! :)

[​IMG]

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

lol, You bump it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.