1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CD and Rudy T. Ruined This Franchise More Than We Thought.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Almu, Dec 28, 2004.

1. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I admit our draft picks make Elgin Baylor look good. It is really easy to criticize now with 20 /20 hindsight. When Rudy / CD packaged the three #1 picks to get the draft rights to Eddie Griffin-IMO they did not want to get tied down / obligated to 3 guaranteed 1st round contracts. At the time some thought that Griffin could have been the 1st overall pick. I remember I was thrilled to be getting a big man. At the time we needed a big man in the worst way. I thought it was brilliant.

On Rashard- I really thought at the time that Rudy or CD or Mr. Alexander got the yips about drafting a high school player. I wish we had drafted him too now.

We have really made some decisions that just did not pan out-- I hate the Drew, Turckan, Rhodes, and Boki picks. I hate the Barkley, Pippen, Glen Rice trades. I hate the contracts given to Cato, Moochie, Maloney, the sign and trade with Shanderson that got us Glen Rice, and the contractual obligations we have to Howard and Spoon.

This stuff is all done. I regret these moves, but I hate to see a trend continue - trading a known commodity in Jim Jackson to get an equally old player.

Our players at the power forward cannot compete in this league....

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Nice thread Van Gundy fanboy. I'm sure the next time a thought pops into your head, you'll be sure to start another one. Yes, Rudy ruined this organization by winning championships. What a jerk. I'm sure we would have so many more by now if we'd only taken a different player here or there in the mid-to-late first round or second round - you know, we've been oh-so-close the past 5 or so years, that I'm sure a couple of bit players may have pushed us over the hump. (I see you only blame the coach for personnel moves when it's convenient for you)

And now the poor Rockets are stuck with a measly two top 10 players. What a drag.

3. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Freak,

I am a fanboy for Van Gundy. But what does that make you? Blind hatred for a guy that just got here? Well, that makes you what?

Unlike 99 percent of the BBS, I saw the man coach for 8 years. I and tons of experts agree that he is a hell of a coach. For this team? Maybe. Maybe not. I am doubting a little more.

But to dislike him because he doesn't drink beer at press conferences? Because he doesnt smile at the camera? Because he preaches defense and half court play and minimizing mistakes? Because he got rid of Francis? No. I don't blame anyone but FANS who don't know basketball. And who play too much XBOX and think teams are built in 20 minutes.

The man just got here. I keep saying that. He has only been playing the players he has been dealt and finally this year, has started imputting his own style and players. I loved Rudy T. But we gave him 7 years of leash MORE than enough after winning two rings. And FIVE were not in the playoffs.

The problem is not Gundy. The problem is NYC. The problem is Ewing. The problem is Ward. The problem is Oakley. The problem is Witherspoon. THATS THE PROBLEM. If he was bringing people from Oklahoma or Texas or New Mexico, that would be nice. Even if he can't shoot worth at damn or dribble worth a spit.They are not New Yorkers or Knicks. The people that don't like him because his heart is here(NYC). Fire him for that? Good wise move. Bring in a coach like Jackson who wins for their team but is loyal to his ego. Yea. That would be better. Two years ago...he was like Satan? Talk about two face. Or Larry Brown who abandons ship on how many teams? Yea. Sounds like a plan. Fire the coach 18 months into his job. He might not be the right coach. Thats a good point. But can we let him finish some years before we hang him, Freaky?

You know. If my friends who live in Southpark, Fifth Ward, Glencrest and near Milby and Jones High School kicked me in the nuts everytime I say that I love NYC and would never leave, I would be NUTLESS. But, then again, I am not a coach for a team whos fans sell out their stadium all the time and show endless undying support for their baskeball team, now am I? Fans who give up their tickets because their team is not winning...yea, thats unwavering support. If you don't have the money, give them up. But just because your team is rebuilding? YOUR TEAM HAS TWO FRANCHISE PLAYERS THAT PEOPLE WOULD KILL FOR NOT EVEN IN THEIR PRIMES!!!! Nah. Dont matter.

HEY!! LETS GET RID OF BILL PARCELLS!! He won TWO RINGS!!! But wasn't that last century? Surely, he can't coach anymore. I mean, his team sucks.

Happy New Year.

4. Charvo

Charvo Member

Once again I state the Lakers will trade for Yao and take Mo along with him for Odom, Mihm, Butler, and a 1st rounder. That's 3 good to very good players right there.

It's time for a Herschel Walker type trade.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

What's up with the new york inferiority complex? People don't care if JVG is from new york just like no one cares that Parcells is from New York. People like me hate van gundy because he coaches the most boring brand of basketball known to man kind. People hate him because he is a giant jack ass that dogs his players even though it is obvious he has no clue. He talks about how winning basketball is all about effort but he has no clue how to motivate anyone.

Let's face it. JVG is doing a lousy job. That combined with being a boring jackass makes watching the rockets almost unbearable.

6. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

yes = passing on Rashard was a bad move (even at the time is was bad... no hinesight needed there)

... but get real, Amare seems like a better player than Yao because he is on a better team getting better looks - with a PG that can get him the ball where he needs it and shooters that keep double teams away.

unless you get Nash, Q, and Joe Johnson in the deal WITH Amare - there is no since in getting him

7. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

Blaming Rudy T. for the way the Rockets are screwing up on trades is like people blaming Clinton for Bush's fk ups.

/cheap shot, sorry.
    //flame on.

8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

AMEN!

9. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

You speak a lot of truth there.

In fact this sentiment has crossed my mind many time - the underlying cultural war behind the rage and detestation.

Very sad indeed but that is human nature for you folks.

10. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

11. sun12

sun12 Member

I think what Almu wanted to say that Rox should have Lebron as the first pick. Ops, there was no Lebron in 2002! or a consensus Shaq, or a consensus Duncan.

You know what makes a team better is how a team choose late picks. I just donot know how the hell Spurs kept drafting good to great players from the 28th, 29th in the first round and second round. Who is this guy: Beno Udrih as Spurs backup PG? The guy is playing great.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

They get to play with duncan and they play in a good system. Parker is about as good as lopez or arroyo. Ginobili was a good pickup but he isn't better than Cat.

As much as I hate Pops, he is a good coach.

13. New Jack

New Jack Member

That’s the problem with this team. Yao’s a middle-of-the-pack star player (top 15-20). Better than average, but not nearly as good as the best. 19 and 9 is just very unspectacular. There’s nothing about his game that WOWs you and makes you say “Damn, he’s better at this than any other player in the league”. When you have a middle-of-the-pack star player, your team tends to be a middle-of-the-pack team, especially if the supporting cast is as weak as Houston’s.

14. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Everyone is mentioning "missing the boat" on Lewis, but in my mind, an even bigger misfire was drafting Kenny Thomas one selection ahead of Andrei Kirilenko. I cannot think of a group of people that have made more incompetent personnel moves than the group the makes up the Rockets' player personnel department.

15. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

I think it has more to do with chemistry than talent. Right now
    Tmac is playing like a top 10 player at best, and Yao is top 20.
    But we know Tmac used to be top 5. In the two games Tmac
    missed, Yao also played like a real top 10 player and kept
    us competitive against Wolves and Lakers. Obviously we are
    not getting the best from Tmac and Yao when both are on court.

16. littlefish_220

Roxbox,

I just want to say manu is definetely better than cat, much better. He is the leader of a world-champion team, his defense, leadership, and slash shouldn't be compared to cat, and imo his skills are somewhat suppresed in pop's system.

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

There's a guy with the number 21 on their team you should check out. He's pretty good and could be considered as their end all be all.

18. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I can think of at least 10 players I would rather have than the other "top 10 player" on our team not named McGrady.

19. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

I can think of at least 15 ......

Absolutely Better players:
    Duncan, Garnett, Lebron, Wade, Kobe, Amare, Shaq, Dirk, A.I.

Equal to or better:

AK-47, Allen, J'ONeal, Artest, Oakafor, Randolph, Wallace,
    Nash, Marion, Peja, Boozer, ....

20. Charvo

Charvo Member

What's with all the b****ing? Why not just trade Yao and Mo to the Lakers for depth in the lineup? I see b****ing and complaining about Mo and Yao all the time. I've already presented arguments why trading Yao and Mo to the Lakers would level out the roster. The Rockets get rid of Mo's contract. The Rockets don't have to make the decision of giving Yao the max.