1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CD and Rudy T. Ruined This Franchise More Than We Thought.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Almu, Dec 28, 2004.

1. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Forget all the Yao vs. Amare stuff... Yao is good and Amare is good- that's all you can hope for out of a top ten pick.

whoever said we wasted 6 first round picks hit the nail on the head.

6 picks- my word, do you realize what 6 first round picks are wasted?

Wasted--- That's what hurts so much. Just one good player on this team from those 6 picks, just one.

I am going crazy because I am a dumb fan and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt I wouldn't have messed that many picks up.

Rashard Lewis was the ultimate no brainer pick for the Rockets.
    They had picks to throw away- 3 picks, middle picks, picks to take chances with. Why Oh Why draft that guy from Turkey, what was that all about. Every Rocket fan's mouth hit the floor when his name was anounced and nobody has understood to this day what that was all about.

Hey anybody alive in the world could have picked Yao with a # 1 pick.

But drafting so poorly has cost us dearly.

Well Anybody with a brain could draft Ralph Sampson or Dream

Last good draft picks were Cuttino Mobley and Sam Cassell.

The rest were either stinkers or no brainers.

Horry was OK, but not that he was a great player. Just a good role player.

those 6 wasted picks are hurting us very badly right now.

Look at the old guys wearing Rocket red.

2. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

if you wanna count boki as a waste then that would be 7 first round picks.

What kills you with rashard is he was in your own backyard you could drive down the road and see him etc. We were supposed to know what he was going to be but we said lets take a flyer on a kid from turkey

3. clove

clove Contributing Member

We haven't even see anything that resembles the finihsed product yet!

Of these 2 teams:
    Yao + Tmac + 3 good role players

SF + Amare + Cat + Cato + good role player

If I am the GM, I'm picking the first one.

Run and gun teams has not proved a thing yet. Actually, if they proved anything, it's that they can't win in playoffs.

4. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

agree. lebron is definite though... he's the real deal. duncan definitely too. Yao may reach duncan-like heights but you got more dominant years out of duncan.

i love AI... but wouldn't take him over yao. definitely not webber.

i can't believe people are complaining about yao. the next person on most people's lists was Jay Williams.

5. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

Good one. You cracked me up. People who are compare Yao and Amare by simply using the scoring numbers (19 vs 25) are simply blind. If you take out the direct path between Amare and the basket, you will take out Amare's most points. Of course that is difficult to do with Nash penetrating, and Q, Joe Jonson, and Marion draining three-pointers/mid-range jumpers all over the floor. While Rockets have Sura/Ward/Howard/Taylor who couldn't even hit water in an ocean.

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Come on Almu... Why can't you just acknowledge that the man responsible for destroying this team is your own beloved Jeff Van Stupido. Trying to blame it on someone else only emphasizes your ignorance. Only a couple of weeks ago you conceded he is not the coach you thought he was and now you are retracting those statements and trying to put blame somewhere else. Rudy did not sign Charle Deadwood to a stupid contract and then say the man fooled us. No Jeff Van Dummy, Ward fooled you. Everyone else on this board knew he was washed up. Rudy did not dump EG for nothing and watch him become sixth man of the year candidate at Minny. Jeff Van Dummy has single handedly taken this franchise to the bottom. Come on Almu be man enough to admit that you were wrong about Jeff Van Dummy and he is a cancer on this team that needs to be removed.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I still don't want Amare over Yao. IndianPlaya's post is a very good one.

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I remember how high Rudy was on Amare. It's too bad the Rockets won the lottery or else they likely would have ended up with Amare. I blame Francis for this. ;)

The biggest mistakes that I see over the last several years that Rockets management has made are as follows.

3. Trading away 3 first round picks for Eddie Griffin. Management should have thought long and hard about investing that many picks with a player that has had well known emotional problems.

2. Not selecting Rashard Lewis when they had 3 chances to do so. Come on, you could have used at least one pick on the guy.

1. Signing bad players to long contracts. This is the most inexcusable act that the Rockets continue to do. Matt Maloney, Moochie Norris, Mo Taylor, now Charlie Ward. Terrible!

9. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'll agree with CD being to blame but the contract offered to Mo was to play in Rudy's system. Mid range jumpers and a guy to post up. Mo just isnt a good fit for this current system. Take into consideration Mo Taylor (pre-achilles injury) could dunk the ball on anyone and he had a quick first step. He now has to work with what he's got left. It was misfortunate for the Rox but that's basketball and we move on. BTW, you have really good hindsight.

10. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Face it mediocre teams become mediocre because they make poor personnel decisions.

So we better get smart soon and hope Yao signs a max deal.

11. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Since Yao only worths the #8 pick, maybe we can extend him an
    offer worthing 6 years 50 million? If he's not willing to sign it, we
    can trade him for an #8 pick. CD would be an idiot to give a #8
    pick a max deal.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

If I were Les and this team doesn't show drastic improvement over the rest of the season, I would send CD packing and bring in a GM who I'd give final say over JVG regarding personnel decisions. That would serve two BIG purposes: First, the new GM would hopefully find ways to clean up the cap mess we're in and bring in some solid role players; and secondly, it might just convince JVG to quit. When the little runt sees that he's been squeezed out of the decision-making process, he might hit the road. Sure, he'd be leaving contract money on the table, but he could replace a decent percentage of that by going back to TV work.

13. Man

Man Contributing Member

agreed
    i don't like this thread it's too negative :)

14. Fatty FatBastard

Not once. Not twice. But thrice. (Dickerson/Drew/Turcan)

15. Fatty FatBastard

Also, a lot of y'all are missing the forest for the trees.

6 picks wasted? That's a bit of an hyperbole.

Remember: We picked Dickerson with one of those wasted picks. Dickerson was Packaged to get Francis. Francis was packaged to get T-Mac.

Apparently one of those 6 wasn't wasted. It was used to get the best player on our team.

16. rocketlaunch

okthats true but you still have 5 wasted..what has mirsad done for us or bryce drew or eddie thats 5 picks right there. and boki really did not do crap for us so that would bring us back to 6

17. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Come on Almu, you tried too hard to pretect your man, Jeff Van Gummy.;) Give it up.

18. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I did remember some people wanted to trade the #1 pick and get Mike Dunleavy Jr.

19. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

So...was it ever determined who exactly lied to Rashard Lewis about that draft?

The kid seemed to believe he was coming here; crying when it didn't happen.

Lewis, Taylor and Cato's contracts, Maloney...these are the kinds of things that the Rudy T./CD combination look bad because of.

But on the other hand, there are a lot of things that make them look good. (Two championships spring to mind) So there you go...

20. rocketlaunch

i would not be surprised if CD or rudy told him this... I know thats basically what he said