1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CBSSPORTS: Melo is Foolish Not to Consider Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Dec 22, 2010.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Forgot, Melo would be starting at the 3 and Shane coming off the bench. Twill get mins at the 1 and 2.

2. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

good job cbs...tell melo how foolish he is.

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

Has anyone considered WHY we would be interested in him even as a "rental"?

Could it be that we would be calling his bluff, and that Morey and Co. anticipates that when it comes down to it, he will balk and sign an extension no matter where he goes? $65M guaranteed is a lot of money to risk. Maybe Carmelo is only using this "I will only sign an extension in NY" as leverage for where he wants to go.

4. thesaint

thesaint Member

Give Brooks, Scola n Martin some respect man. Brooks MIP last year. Scola in top 5 PF this year n in my eyes he is a superstar. Martin is also playing like a star and averaging 23 ppg and among leaders in FT% n most FT shots. You dont give away 2 of ur core pieces for 1 superstar. IMO I would give up either Brooks or Martin and add some role players and take Harringtons garbage contract. This way they get a legitimate young PG or SG that can start and since Kmarts, Billups n JR smiths contract expires next year they have a very good chance to land another star and sign more players.

5. thesaint

thesaint Member

Also Denver needs to play on other teams term as Melo may just walk away and Nuggets dont get anything in return. IMO Rockets has lot more young talent to offer than most teams out there for Melo.

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I think that's pretty much it. He's not going to pass on the $65M. That said, if we traded Brooks/Martin + others for him.. we're not going to have anything left. The Rockets would be worse than the present team he's on.

7. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I just noticed Carmelo's wife is 31 while Carmelo is 26 hmm...

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

It doesn't matter. The hardest part is to acquire that superstar. Morey and Co. have already proven that once that is in place, they can fill in the holes brilliantly. It is the getting the superstar part that is many times outside of his control.

Also, once you get one, more will come. Our chances of luring a CP3 or even Dwight would go up exponentially.

Take one step back for a huge leap forward in the future. No brainer to me.

9. Houston_Rockets

This is what I have been saying in here for months....

I said before, Carmelo supposedly saying "I want NY" and more recent reports "he would sign with NJN", the first was made up by NY or ESPN, and the 2nd one is made up by Denver or NJN.

IMO, there is no rumor based on something Melo actually said, some people think LaLa makes decisions for him, I don´t think so, the decision about what teams he would sign, is going to be made by Melo.

This "rental" rumor floating around only benefits Houston, because if I am DM, I would call Denver and make my trade offer, using the "rental" leverage it gives you.

Why would DM give up Martin or Scola or both, if it is a "rental"???
    There is no way I do it, and Denver knows it too, I think this is/can be a plan to give up less for Melo....

Is this a homer opinion/theory??? Maybe, but as a Houston Rocket fan, I am allowed to have it.

PeAcE

10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Yeah, I could be talked into that. Get Carmelo and sell him on the idea of us clearing cap room NY-style to sign his buddy CP3 or Dwight the following offseason.

I still don't think Martin/Brooks gets you him though. Nuggets4 mentioned that they want to build around Lawson and Nene -- I don't think they'd want Brooks. You'd have to recruit a third team to give the Nuggets something they can use.

Additionally, Martin is 27 and has a checkered injury past. It's obvious he's a 2nd or 3rd tier star.. would Denver really prefer that to a potential 1st tier guy in Favors? The key word is potential.. but so far it appears as if they're very high on him.

11. AggieRocketsFan

Maybe if it was two core pieces of a contending team, but it is two core pieces of a borderline playoff team. Obviously you would jump on it if you're getting Melo, but only if he is staying past this year!

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

I have no idea how much it will take, or whether we have what it takes to get him here. I was just commenting on this idea that we, or teams, would like to trade for him as a "rental". I just think that its BS.

13. Houston_Rockets

Isn´t Martin overrated and not the central piece of a contending team??? :p :p :p (not hatting on you)

But hey, in this trade you would give up 2 2nd tier players, for a superstar, no matter if you like Melo or not, you would acquire the most difficult player, the central piece of your puzzle....

And I don´t agree with the "what do you have left is crap" after that trade, look at C.lee, he is a great wing defender, that shoots 50% from the 3pt line, that is what you need to surround Melo with. And look at Lowry, I admit, if he didn´t improve the 3% this season, losing AB would be huge, but today, Lowry can hit the 3 ball at a 40% mark consistently, plus he is a good defender/hustler.

And I didn´t mention, one of the most important reasons why Melo would consider us, we are the only team (only counting NJN, NYN and HOU) that has enough assets to go after Melo and CP3, even if it not this season..... NJN would have to wait until he becomes a FA, and NY would not give up Amare....

PeAcE

14. davestrate

davestrate Member

According to Fanhouse, Scola is the newest player rumored to be included in a trade cor Carmelo Anthony (just a headsup).

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i think it's just the Bosh situation all over again...morey wants to put in his 2 cents in hopes that Melo will reconsider, either because he thinks houston is a better choice or because NJ/NY may not have enough talent.

We're not a borderline playoff team...if we didn't have the yao situation causing uncertainty this team, even without Yao, is 5-6 seed, especially now that Roy and Oden are injured. Lakers, Dallas, OKC, and the spurs are better. Maybe Utah, maybe. And i actually think this team can beat the spurs in the playoffs.

16. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I was getting pumped up reading this article, until I read this, and realized the writer didn't have any inside knowledge.

17. University Blue

If it means losing Martin or Budinger, then I hope CA stays foolish.

18. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

link?

19. thejav

thejav Member

Give them brooks and jeffries and a round pick..

Lowry
    Martin
    Melo
    Scola
    Hill

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Nice article by Daryl Morey. :)