1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS][UPDATED]Magic TRIED TO get Martin for Gortat, Rockets say DENIED!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by the_hustler, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Rokman

Rokman Member

I just have to post this. In the "Breaking: Yao has stress fracture in left leg" thread: 2 days ago I posted the trade below and got slammed. See below:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokman
    I see a great trade that works out well for both teams and actually gets accepted by RealGM trade checker:

Houston Trades:
    - Yao Ming (17 million expiring)
    - Kevin Martin (2 years remaining after this year with $12 million average each year)

Orlando Trades:
    - Marcin Gortat (3 years remaining after this year with $7 million average each year)
    - Vince Carter (1 year remaining at $18 million which is a team option)

Reason for Orlando:

Yao is done and clearly just an expiring contract waiting for a team to pick it up, a HUGE expiring contract. Orlando with the highest payroll in the league at a whopping $95 million dollars I am sure would love to have some financial relief. Marcin Gortat has been very upset with not getting the playing time he feels he deserves (Starters minutes) and it is obvious the Magic like other players ahead of him more. Kevin Martin easily picks up where Vince Carter leaves off for Orlando and in fact probably makes them better. This deal, though a little odd for a championship contending team, actually makes them better by relieving them of the burden of Gortat's contract and by acquiring a younger, cheaper and better player to take Vince Carter's place. WIN, WIN for Orlando!

Reason for Houston:

The Rockets have been eying Gortat for years even trying to sign him as a free agent 2 years ago. This is their chance to get him. Orlando is stacked and does not really need his services and he needs a chance to see the court. In Houston he can get the chance to be the guy he has been begging Orlando to let him be for years. Vince Carter takes the temporary place of Kevin Martin (The Defensive Ghost) and hopefully can turn into an expiring contract after this year. This would allow the Rockets to go after a Shooting Guard (who are much easier to get than Centers) and possibly solidify the Center position for a couple of years.

Rockets Line-Up:

P.G. - Kyle Lowry / Aaron Brooks / Ish Smith
    S.G. - Vince Carter / Courtney Lee /
    S.F. - Shane Battier / Terrence Williams / Chase Budinger
    P.F. - Luis Scola / Chuck Hayes / Patrick Patterson
    ..C. -Marcin Gortat / Brad Miller / Jordan Hill

Though I hate the idea of Vince Carter playing for us I would be fine if it was just for a season and $18 million expiring. Of course this will never happen but I would not be opposed to it.

rock4ever Replies
    Gortat? Rebuild around a player who doesnt even start? Worst trade in sports history

I just want rock4ever to eat his words. If you think I come up with the worst trade in sports history you must think that Morey is a complete idiot. Next time I hope you keep your insults to yourself and try not to humiliate people on a public forum!!

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

How do I know he isn't? Because we just traded New Jersey a draft pick to help them strengthen their position to acquire Melo and nobody has spoken of Melo landing in Houston as a possibility in MONTHS.

And like I said earlier today, I agree the Rockets are just one player from being a contender. Unfortunately that player is Hakeem Olajuwon.

3. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

i think people keep saying that he's a bad defender because he cherry pick most of the time

that's why he doesn't bother to contest the shot and just run down the court.

now bud is a different story :eek:

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

morey is all about asset management. when you are rebuilding, cap space is an asset. you can never have too much. just like draft picks, or promising young players.

plus you may be able to acquire a draft pick by moving martin for an expiring contract and a decent young role player like gortat. even more assets.

5. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Man that would have been terrible...But on the brightside...If you add Gortat with Miller we would have had a complete center for the 1st time since 1997..

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This is ust not a Morey type of move. It had to be initiated by the Magic.

7. pge71188

pge71188 Member

How About Brooks, Chase and future 1st rounder for Nash and Lopez? would that work?

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I am not opposed to a Martin for less expensive player trade in theory, and I would like to see Williams, Lee and Budinger get more PT, but that doesn't mean the deal being discussed, if it's Gortat+ filler and/or low picks, is the right one if you think Martin can fetch you more than these in a later deal.

Personally, my guess is that Martin is in their plans as a guy they can put next to a star and they'd use their other assets to either trade up for a higher pick or obtain an existing star. Martin doesn't eat shot clock or possessions and produces points efficiently. I also don't agree that the rest of the wings have higher ceiling than Martin. Defensively, sure, but right now Lee, Bud and Williams have not shown they can really be anything more than above-average role player in the future.

9. Htown's2kFinest

Also Gortat will be 27 in TWO MONTHS.

Kmart is 27. How much more can Gortat be apart of the Rockets future than Martin?..

10. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

The contracts wouldn't even come close to matching up.

11. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Ask anyone of the Rockets players and they will say we are still trying to make the playoffs. And if you dig deeper you will find they are still very confident they can. The only problem is Phoenix may have just got better. Carter is equal to Richardson and Childress, Dudley and Hill should be able to man Hedo's minutes. Gortat makes them better defensively. He will a double double albeit 10/10.

12. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

We would have to trade someone for Haywood, which is why I dont want him anywhere near a Rockets uniform.

Thabeet can be had cheap right now, especially with him playing limited minutes and them needing to pay Gasol in the immediate future.

Thabeet will be better than most people think.

Thabeet the next Mutumbo !

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Just checked and you're right about that. I was mistaken about Gortat's age. I don't know why I thought he was 24. Obviously that changes the way I view the trade. There is no point in trading Martin for Gortat if they are the same age.

14. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

1 person likes this.
  15. ThaShark316_28

16. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

And consider this: Which does Orlando prefer?

(A) Kevin Martin or

(B) Jason Richardson plus the privilege of paying Hedo Turkoglu a lot of money for many years​

18. HRocketsFan

HRocketsFan Member

He's probably upset that he wasn't traded to a contender.

19. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

oololollolololol at everyone who thought this was a great trade cuz morey wanted to do it

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

I guess they prefer Turkaglu, they just traded Gortat to the Suns.