1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS][UPDATED]Magic TRIED TO get Martin for Gortat, Rockets say DENIED!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by the_hustler, Dec 18, 2010.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I will say, I wonder how Martin will react to this? He has been playing well and while he is a professional, it is obvious Martin is being shopped.

2. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

That would be HORRIBLE!

3. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Umm HELL no. You don't trade your best scorer on the team for a back-up center, even if it is Gortat. Morey keeps saying that he wants, and thinks we can make the playoffs this year. So trading Martin for Gortat means you're basically giving up on this season.

So it has to be one of two things:

1. Morey is a liar.
    2. They over-value Gortat.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

When Twill said he saw himself as more of a point guard i think that may have had something to do with something the rockets told him. Perhaps they told him they wanted him to be a playmaker type. Most players would simply say they'll take whatvr role is asked of them, but he went righ to PG. Obviously lowry and brooks are there, but he fits as a SG who can play some PG alongside Brooks, much like lowry does.

It does make sense to say Kmart is less valuable to this team without Yao. Now Yao may be done I can see why houston would be more willing to give him up to balance out the team.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

or

3. They were prepared to give up martin for gortat + something else to even it out. Magic refused.

6. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I sure hope it was a damn good player.

7. Drawkwa22

Drawkwa22 Member

Wow so glad this didn't happen.

8. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

My god I hope you are not implying Chase is one of them. I can't see any our other wings being better players than Martin honestly.

9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It isn't that simple. Morey cannot just say "We've given up on this season". Everybody understands that but you apparently. How would season ticket holders feel about that? But it's my opinion that anybody who hasn't given up on this season is delusional. Of course we've given up on this season. It's time to look ahead.

Now, I'm sure I'll get beat up for this, but I'd trade Martin for Gortat and their #1 pick despite the fact it'd be a late first round pick. With Yao out, I don't see any reason to keep guys like Scola, Martin, Battier or Miller. The best thing to do is trade those guys to contenders. They deserve better than to waste their prime years on our rebuilding process. I think it would have been a class move to send Martin to Orlando. He would fit perfectly with Dwight Howard.

Meanwhile, Gortat is only 24 years old and I'd like to collect as many first round picks as possible.

#49 Williamson, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  10. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

No deal rockets agreed to they offered gortat for Martin

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

One of the big motivations for getting Martin was because of how he'd fit playing with Yao.

Not having Yao on the floor with him significantly reduces his value, in my opinion. I'm not surprised the Rockets would try to trade him.

12. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

1st Haywood ... now Gortat ... wtf is the front office smoking

13. Htown's2kFinest

TheRocketGuy The Rockets DID NOT offer Martin. They were
    interested in Gortat, and offered several scenarios, but never offered Martin.

14. Egghead

Egghead Member

thats the same guy who said they were interested in trading Martin for Haywood

15. Htown's2kFinest

Morey lost his damn mind.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yea I can pretty much guarantee you it didn't go down like this.

17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Haywood "rumor" was not a rumor at all. It was just the speculation of a Dallas sports writer that got out of hand. This Gortat rumor is obviously legit as he was just moved. And, unlike the Haywood rumor, it makes sense as Gortat is young enough to be part of our rebuilding process.

18. J-Man

J-Man Member

Morey so dumb so dumb....

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

even if this is true, it would be understandable. the rockets have to rebuild. getting out of martin's contract would be helpful. plus they have a logjam on the wing now with williams added to the roster.

20. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Very astute call. The thinking behind getting Martin was his ability to draw fouls and get the oppossing teams in the penalty, especially down the stretch of a game when the rockets had Yao and his +80% free throw shooting going the line.