1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS SPORTS] Rockets plan on recruiting Kevin Durant with James Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...-on-recruiting-kevin-durant-with-james-harden

The Houston Rockets have been the heroes and zeroes of free agency for years now. When Daryl Morey took over the Rockets and it was obvious the Yao Ming-Tracy McGrady pairing wasn't destined for health and prosperity, the plan to start clearing cap space and acquiring assets to move in exchange for stars began. For years, Morey wasn't able to convince big name free agents to head to Houston and try to replicate the success Hakeem Olajuwon fostered there in the 90's. And all of his planning and finagling was a bit of a joke because nothing was coming of it.

Two years ago, Morey pulled off a trade for James Harden right before the season began and that helped recruit Dwight Howard in the summer of 2013 via free agency. Now Morey has two of his hopeful Big Three in place and he has enormous plans on whom to bring in to complete the triumvirate. Marc Stein of ESPN.com tells us Harden will likely be used as lead recruiter for Kevin Durant's services when he becomes a free agent in 2016.

The Rockets are widely expected to take a step back this season, thanks to all the depth they squandered on the Bosh dice roll, but they expect to have significant salary-cap room next summer -- when they can chase point guards as accomplished as Goran Dragic and Rajon Rondo if they choose -- as well as in the summer of 2016.

Which is when, sources say, they'd like to give Harden an opportunity to serve as Houston's lead recruiter in the pursuit of a free agent named Kevin Wayne Durant.

With LeBron James likely to finish up his career with the Cavaliers now that he's back in Cleveland, Durant becomes the new big target for cap space and dreams in 2016. His contract with the Oklahoma City Thunder will be done and teams will line up with cap space and promises of those elusive titles (assuming he hasn't won one with the Thunder by then) to try to lure him away from OKC. You're going to need a very good pitch in order to get him away from the Thunder and Morey using Durant's friend in Harden as bait is pretty promising.

Morey has been criticized this summer for botching his free agency situation when he missed on Chris Bosh and then didn't match the offer sheet the Mavericks gave Chandler Parsons. Instead, he walked away with Trevor Ariza and a war of words with Mark Cuban through the media. However, if he is able to pull this off and grab three of the 10-12 best players in the league in a four-year span, Morey will be regarded as the best front office executive in the league.

A lot has to happen between now and then, but if you're going to take a shot, you may as well go for it all.

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off.

4 people like this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I hope that's not the plan because that would suggest that we plan on wasting 2 seasons

4. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

If that happens, I think Presti may actually try to murder Morey.

Also, I guess this eliminates the chance of getting Reggie Jackson from them.

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Who would have thunk it?

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Barring something dramatic (e.g. Westbrook goes down with a critical injury, Ibaka regressing) no way Durant leaves OKC for Houston. Sure I'd like to be proven wrong but Durant looks like a guy that likes stability and familiarity. Unless it's to head back to home in Maryland I doubt Durant leaves OKC.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I reckon we'd have to at least make the conference finals to have KD actually want to come here...

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Still two summers away; still two season's worth of games to play.

As ROXTXIA said in the other thread...

...throwing away two seasons? Only for a chance?

9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I'm not going to throw two years of my life away.

10. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Marc Stein is just trying to do something that makes Morey look bad.

11. bongman

bongman Member

12. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Bill Simmons and Jalen Rose floated that very same idea last year. If OKC doesn't win a championship within the next two years, then Durant very likely will move. Teaming up with Harden makes a lot of sense.

Take that, Cuban! (Cuban is just a Morey wannabe.)

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

We already knew they would try to lure Durant here if it was possible. And of course we would have Harden, his close friend, try to persuade him. Clickbait article.

14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

We actually don't have to throw away two seasons with the huge projected bump in the cap. Plus Howard can opt out that summer to take less per yr with longer years.

15. bmd

bmd Member

I don't think Durant leaves OKC except maybe to go to D.C.

16. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

Is Morey a multi-billionaire? Does Morey have a ring?

17. Zbed

Zbed Member

Harden/Durant/Howard >>>> Irving/LeBron/Love

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lol believe when I see it, until then I will be pissed off for Morey wasting Howard's prime on chasing unattainable free agents. If Morey got Durant I would legit die a happy man, if Morey lost Howard and or Harden due to chasing Durant around for years then I will die an angry and full of sorrow.

19. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Harden said this year that he doesn't recruit. He lets the wizard do the magic.

20. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

splash...it's happening