1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS Sports] Rockets make Asik, Lin available in trade talks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 30, 2013.

1. Raven

Raven Member

I will take a wild guess and say that Dwight in more interested in having Ask as his backup than having Lin as his PG.

2. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

Will we trade Lin?

I would like to give my opinion on Jeremy Lin and hear your thoughts. I'd like to keep this thread as level as possible.

An FYI, I don't really understand all the rules of the CBA so I am just gonna go with what I currently know. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I believe Morey will trade Asik if we land Howard. Paying 8+ million for a great backup center is not optimizing cap space. I also do not believe Howard will spend much time in the power forward position.

I don't think Howard and Harden are enough to beat Miami. We would need another all star caliber player.

Our weakest position is the PF spot. Josh Smith will have a cap hit of 13.2 million next year and I believe we will sign and trade for him IF we land Dwight Howard. I don't think his salary will increase during his next contract. Omar Asik is at around an 8.4 million cap hit next year, leaving 4.9 million to cover. This leaves two options, trade Lin or toss our entire bench to Detroit.

I was trying to figure out Lin's contract value. I looked at PER vs Salary and Estimated Wins vs Salary for the top 35 point guards.

Player PER is ranging from about 15 to 18 for a salary between 400K and 10 million with Lin at the lower end of the PER and higher end of the salary. Both Lin and Beverley have about the same PER (highlighted in red).

[​IMG]

EWA is a little more staggered, but ranges between 4 to 9 wins added at a salary range of about 400K to 10 million. Again, with Lin at the lower end of the EWA and the higher end of the salary.

[​IMG]

We were able to land Brooks, Lowry, Dragic and Beverley. All of these currently have a cheaper contract with some having better statistics. In my opinion, it is time to trade Lin. I do think he will improve next year, but relative to other NBA point guards, his skill set is not worth the money.

I think that we will land Dwight Howard and we will have a 3 team trade. We will give Lin, Asik and White and we will receive Smith and our 6th man.

3. ross84

[​IMG]

#943 ross84, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2013
  4. ross84

[​IMG]

#944 ross84, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2013
  5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I don't want to see us trade him for the sake of trading, though with Morey I don't have to worry about that. As long as we get something comparable in return, I don't care if the Rockets part with him though.

6. ross84

Well that is the problem. I don't think he is bringing value to the team. I think he is a good player with potential but not enough to explain his salary. I think we can find better value in free agency alone.

7. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

oh look another thread, i wouldn't have been able to see this question asked in the 5 other threads having to do with this.:rolleyes:

8. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

With 300 million viewers in China, Lin's cost is probably a net negative to the team. Meaning we get paid to have him.

9. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I know Kobe sells the most jerseys or whatever and people gauge the popularity of players in China on merchandise sales, however, the boom of League Pass Houston Rockets subscriptions in China and Asia in general (me included) is undeniably due to Lin joining the Rockets.

Unfortunately, this is league revenue that is shared equally amongst the teams. There is no individual economic advantage for the Rockets... unless we play a couple of exhibition games in Asia this Summer to packed stadiums!!!

10. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

the question is if asik would like to play behind him. aski for sure knows he is a starter on any team w/o dh. luckily, asik is under contract so at least next two seasons, we can either keep him or get a really good return.

11. ross84

profits, yes. Team success, no.

12. ERC

ERC Member

I agree we need to upgrade our 4 and having Josh Smith would be VERY nice, but I don't think the pro & con of trading is so cut and dry.

Lin's stats and PER were somewhat skewed by his abysmal performance early last season (coming off knee injury AND playing in a new system). His post-All-Star stats were SIGNIFICANTLY higher than pre-All-Star. I like the scrappy Beverley, but he is quite foul prone due to his aggressive style and that can be a issue if he were to play major minutes.

If we could get someone of Dragic or Lowry's caliber back at a cheaper price, I have no problem with trading Lin away. The fact is, we probably won't. For all the flaws Lin has, he also offers lots of upside. If we were to trade him, I hope we were getting a significantly better value in return. Otherwise, I say we keep him.

13. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Don't get where this thought process comes from.

People act like he was a turnover waiting to happen, despite the fact that he lead the team in assist, was the 3rd best scorer for the previous season and was only 8 steals below team leader Harden.

I see people trout out stats like PER and +/- but when it comes down to the raw individual data, Lin was one of our best players last season and his turn overs were not any worst then 3 other young PGs the NBA seems to be high on (Westbrook, Lillard and Teague). While he wasn't Linsanity or a top 5 PG last season, he still did a good solid job last season even with Harden being the one to control the ball per coaches design.

Lin is not the massive detriment to the team that many make him out to be.

14. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

they want to get rid of Lin but only for a starting PG? Minus an all-star PG, it's pretty much a lateral move.

15. tefunk

tefunk Member

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/07/02/pistons-continue-pursuit-of-athleticism-in-free-agency/

DETROIT (CBS DETROIT) – Rumored to be interested in Josh Smith of the Atlanta Hawks as well as Jeremy Lin of the Houston Rockets and Andre Iguodala of the Denver Nuggets — the Pistons are pursuing more athleticism just as Detroit Pistons President of Basketball Operations Joe Dumars said they would.

Dumars has consistently said that Detroit particularly needs more speed on the perimeter.

“We’re going to continue to try to address the wing positions, the one, two and three,” Dumars said Friday. “We will not be off-limits on any of those positions. In free agency and trade, if we can upgrade in those positions, we will. We definitely will.”

USA Today reported that the Pistons met with forward Josh Smith of the Atlanta Hawks Monday and are meeting with Andre Iguodala of the Denver Nuggets Tuesday.

Pistons head coach Maurice Cheeks was the head coach of the Philadelphia 76ers from 2005 to 2008, where Iguodala played from 2004 to 2012, so that relationship may give the Pistons a better shot at landing Iguodala. He averaged 13.0 points and 5.4 assists in 80 games for Denver in 2012-2013.

Smith, a nine-year veteran who averaged 17.5 points, 8.4 rebounds and 4.2 assists for the Hawks last year, would add a veteran presence to the Pistons’ young frontcourt, which currently includes Andre Drummond and Greg Monroe and is one of the few strengths of the team that struggled to a 29-53 record last year.

Ken Berger of CBS tweeted Sunday that the Pistons are considering a sign-and-trade that would send Detroit guard Jose Calderon to the Houston Rockets and bring Lin to Detroit.

Another possible landing spot for Jeremy Lin is Detroit, source says. Rockets would acquire Jose Calderon in sign-and-trade in such a deal.

— Ken Berger (@KBergCBS) July 1, 2013

Unlike many other teams, Detroit has salary cap space – between $21 million and $25 million, Dumars said a few weeks ago - that will allow them to add important pieces this off-season.

“We’re in a good position now to definitely make a significant jump right now,” Dumars said at the time, after the introduction of new head coach Maurice Cheeks. “It’s tough to get to his point, where you can get to this kind of cap space and flexibility … It’s tough to ride through that to get to this point. But now that we’re here, I think it allows us to be in a position to make a pretty significant jump.

16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Sign Dwight, Lin to Pistons for Calderon, Asik and white to ATL for Smith. Get it done.