1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS Sports/Ken Berger]NBA Owners Propose Hard Cap, Paycut for Players

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockets934life, Feb 5, 2010.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/19929589

2. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

I can see why the players are mad now.

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No doubt Fish will counter the initial offer by flopping out of his seat in shock.

2 people like this.
  4. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

A hard cap would be nice, meaning the end the Knicks and Mavs $100 million payrolls.

Superstars are making like 1/3 of the cap so any team with a decent chance of contending has to go over the cap and even the luxury tax.

I would like to see a hard cap at 70 million because that is about where most winning teams are right now.

In today's league the model for success is:

2 superstars: max salary - 15 million each
    2 good starters: 8 million each
    3 role players: 5 million each (MLE)
    Bench: 10 million to fill roster

Total cost: 71 million

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This could get ugly. I have no doubt the owners will "win", it's just a matter of how big a "win" they get and how long the work stoppage is. NBA economics will be changed forever.

6. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

The owners always get what they want.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL that's why they're called owners...they own the league itself. Not only are they owners, the NBA is a monopoly in the USA. They can put out whatever they want because the players don't have another league to go, unless they all play in Russia or something.

8. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Man I can see things getting incredibly ugly in the near future. Athletes, as many of us will agree, are vastly overpaid. But I think those proposals are a little extreme. I don't like the idea of the hard cap at all.

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Maybe in the NFL.Not in the MLB, and to la esser extent in the nba.

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Not for the good of the game, just for amusement I'd like to see a replacement player scab situation in the NBA. Though its a possible lockout not a strike have the player union guys held out, picket line crossers from all the other leagues signing up on NBA teams. The season opener with the defending champion LA Lakers with Mike Harris and Loren Woods in their frontcourt.

11. bellclare1

bellclare1 Member

They need 2 put ah hard cap on baseball the least physical sport IMO

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

I don't even consider baseball a sport. All you do is hit a ball, try to catch a ball and run around the plate. No one's trying to interfere with you or impede your progress, in fact stationary machines could do all the batting, swinging and throwing the ball up and all you have to do is run around the plate like a pansy. Basball's the only major team sport I know where the professional athletes have beer bellys and get tired from jogging around the playe once, and that alone tells you how much of a sport it really is.

Its no different from golf or darts. Hell even chess is more of a sport than these games :rolleyes:

13. Steve_Francis_rules

Have you not seen half the offensive linemen in the NFL?

14. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

It's an initial proposal for a contract that is almost 2 years from expiring. Right now the economy is struggling but in 2 years attendance and revenues might be up and that might change the stance of the owners. I am not looking forward to a lockout and a season w/o NBA basketball but with proposals like this I don't see how the players can accept it and avoid a lockout.

15. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

It expires at the end of the 2010-11 season, June 30th, 2011. It gives them less than a year and a half.

16. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

They are talking about cutting the max salary in half to work with the new hard cap

17. MisterPink

MisterPink Member

Meh. Work it out, guys. You're all rich bastards anyways.

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The nba can't afford another lockout like 1999. The sport is just recovering and it would be a big,big mistake to have a work stoppage.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think that is why they are getting started on this now...this was a first shot across the bow, they know they won't get most of it, but they will get some of it....

And they probably already know which points they really want and which ones they think are disposable.

I would not be surprised if it goes to lockout though.....there are some big radical changes there...gonna have to see.

DD

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

So can I expect some NBA stars and quasi-stars to take their games overseas?