1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS Sports - Berger] Labor update as NBA heads for 'ugly' lockout

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jsmee2000, Jun 28, 2011.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

God, the NBA owners are going to erase next season at this pace. What they are requesting is absolutely ridiculous.

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

You can make ridiculous demands when you know the other side will break eventually. I hope the players can hold it together but I doubt it.

3. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

More wnba for all of us ...............:confused:

4. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Well, the players will not break for at least one season, and they will risk it and dare the owners.

How stupid would Stern be if he let this happen after the best ratings he has gotten since MJ? And this would be his SECOND lockout. Very bad for his "legacy"

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Sounds like the flex cap etc is an offer to basically give the players back what they expect to lose during a lockout, if the lockout happens, they're going to make the players pay for the lockout, and will hold out as long as they have to, the longer the players go, the worse it gets.

For these billionaires, they're better off letting it all fall apart than have to keep propping up failing businesses, the players might figure that out, but how long it takes is anyone's business

6. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

Do the Clippers get part of the guaranteed TV deal despite them not trying to compete?

7. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

The NBA is a failing business? I bet 90% of the businesses in the world would like to be setting revenue records in a down economy and still convince the public they are failing.

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Since their costs are setting new records and outpacing their revenues at the same time, yeah a lot of them aren't doing so hot.

9. bbjai

bbjai Member

Yes but the argument would be, if DWade/Lebron/Chris Bosh had to choose between Spurs, Cleveland, and Miami who would they choose. The players aren't going to choose the small market team unless they SIGNIFICANTLY overpay them or they are like Tim Dunca/Kevin Durant. The fact of the matter is, Cleveland could have done a S&T with any of the big 3 but Dwade has SPECIFICALLY SAID he didn't want to sign for Cleveland under any circumstances and Bosh said the same thing. How can a city like Cleveland EVER attract FA's even with Lebron there?

10. Octavianus

Octavianus Member

Cleveland didn't have the cap space to get Bosh Wade and Lebron.
    Cleveland was also being run pretty bad at the time, and had no coach, so why would any FA want to sign there last year.
    Miami on the other hand, had a young coach, the best GM in the league, and a GM and Owner willing to do whatever it takes to win.

11. #1YAODADDY

#1YAODADDY Member

by having a hard cap. you wont have enough money to pay for 3 super stars unless they take a huge pay cut which i doubt

12. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_billy_hunter_union_letter_062911
    Hunter warns players of ‘flex’ cap
    By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

13. jsmee2000

Ouch...as expected we are in for a long one. Let's see, the chances that the Rockets will have the 14th pick in the 2012-2013 NBA Draft for the 3rd time in a row have increased! :eek:

14. jsmee2000

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/15278727/sound-proposal-to-bridge-cba-gap-starting-with-revenues?ttag=gen10_on_all_fb_na_txt_0001

Sound proposal to bridge CBA gap, starting with revenues

By Ken Berger
    CBSSports.com Senior Writer
    June 29, 2011

15. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

.................what the hell are you talking? There was no way that the Cavs could have gotten D-Wade or Bosh to their city because of the salary cap rules and how they screwed up their team. Since Miami had prepared for it, they could.

Above all, the important thing isn't markets, it's having a competent team. It's why the Knicks are losers, and the Spurs are winners. Because one team knows what it's doing. Cleveland had no clue what it was doing in the end.

After all, do any of us have a problem with Lebron leaving, or HOW he left? I have no problems with the fact that he left, and the fact that so many people are annoyed with that he left Cleveland at all is a bit surprising to me. I know I wouldn't be staying in Cleveland any longer than I had to.

16. Dei

Dei Member

My prior understanding was that the teams in the red just added all their losses. Do you have a link?

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm not so sure about that. When they start missing game checks, let's see how long they hold together.

18. bbjai

bbjai Member

My point is even if they had cap space they would have never signed there. Look at dwill melo Dwight and cp3 all clamoring to play for big market teams! Might as well shrink the league to big cities only. The only way a FA is ever going to sign with a small market team is to overpay him to the absolute ala joe Johnson.

It's all about markets. A guy like Kevin Durant isn't about markets neither is Tim Duncan but the majority ofnthese guys are only looking at big markets in free agency. That means unless your team is really well managed( and lucky like OKC) and small market your never going to compete or make money for that matter

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The reason is that while the league's revenue has grown each of the last 6 years, the league's costs, both player costs and non-player costs, have gone up even faster than the growth in revenue.

The basketball business is not in crisis, the league simply needs to figure out a way to get its costs under control.