1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS] Rockets stockpiling picks for run at Howard, Gasol (UPDATE: Not Gasol)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 27, 2012.

1. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Not a fan of Gasol but if we can get him for the 18th pick and a scrub like martin i might be enticed. Still hate his salary figures though...

2. Moleb

Moleb Member

if we trade for Gasol still have an average year, and give up on young players with allstar potential i'll give up on houston.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The Houston Rockets continued stockpiling first-round picks Wednesday in a bid to move into the top 10 of Thursday night's draft and enhance their chances of landing a star player they can build around, league sources told CBSSports.com.

While Houston has not given up on making a play for Orlando center Dwight Howard, rival executives believe their swap of the 14th pick with Milwaukee for the 12th pick Wednesday gave them an arsenal of the 12th, 16th and 18th picks that could be used to climb into the upper lottery. The Rockets are targeting at least one premier pick or "significant" veterans, according to a person familiar with the team's plan.

While rival executives believed Houston's target was Lakers forward Pau Gasol, a person familiar with the team's strategy debunked that idea and said the Rockets front office has cooled significantly on the 7-foot Spaniard. Gasol made sense when Houston was pursuing him in the past year and was trying to set up a three-year window with Kyle Lowry, Gasol and another big-man target, Nene. But the person briefed on the Rockets' current plan doubted Gasol would make sense for the franchise anymore.

With word beginning to circulate that the Lakers are open to moving Gasol for a starting veteran and prime draft pick, L.A. faces a transformative moment for the franchise. A key goal would be to get younger and ease what is expected to be an enormous tax burden in 2013-14, when the league's more punitive luxury tax kicks in and Gasol and Kobe Bryant are scheduled to earn a combined $50 million.

In their second draft-related trade in as many days, the Rockets sent Samuel Dalembert and the 14th pick to Milwaukee for the 12th pick, Shaun Livingston, Jon Brockman and Jon Leuer. The Bucks, needing a center to replace the traded Andrew Bogut, will "definitely" keep Dalembert even though he only has $1.5 million of his $6.7 million salary guaranteed for next season, according to a source familiar with the team's plans.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/k...piling-picks-for-bid-to-get-into-high-lottery

4. Spooner

Spooner Member

Atlanta wants Pau and are dangling Smith. If we get Pau, just ship him off for Smoove. I would much prefer that.

5. Know Your Role

I tried explaining that one time on this board and every man-loving punk teenager came out of the woodwork to try and say I was an idiot that Gasol was a quality big man still. I stood my ground and will continue to say he sucks, and will get worse. And yes Andrew Bogut was and still is a better option, even though we won't go after him since the GSW trade at deadline.

Bogut is injury prone but not a soft, weak spanish freak that belongs in a zoo.

6. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

We need the cap space to get Derron Williams if its even possible. Gasol isn't worth what they are paying him anyway.

7. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

8. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kD_xWrhZ8yI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rick also said on ESPN just now that his sources say Howard will not be moved by tomorrow night.

10. Spooner

Spooner Member

Mike Prada: I'm tired of Rockets rumors

Hahahahaa

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If that's the truth..then I personally think (US Americans) we're doing this to move up in the draft and take best available that we think we could build around.

12. MadMax

at times i'm sure i can be a drama queen...but i damn sure don't want to give up what we're acquiring now for Pau mother falcon Gasol. I'd be really disappointed if that were the return on this work.

13. chief

chief Member

i really dont like the idea of throwing all our chips at Dhoward when he doesnt even wanna play here or sign long term..bring him here and kiss his ass all yr,then he still bolts..thats a very desperate and stupid thing for this organization to do, and dont even get me started on gasol..why the hell are we even talking about him?,he should be 3rd or 4th go-to fill in guy surrounded by other stars and cheap to obtain if we even considered it..

14. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

Same ESPN sources that said LeBron would be a Knick.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That would be the best case scenario (everywhere like such as?) IMO.

16. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

0-0 soccer game pushing back around the horn on espn. **** you, soccer.

17. Spooner

Spooner Member

Bill Simmons: Who else is enjoying @Daryl Morey 's performance this week? He just tried to trade his wife + kids to Sacramento for the #5 pick.

Gotta love BS

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Bill Simmons ‏@sportsguy33
    Who else is enjoying @dmorey 's performance this week? He just tried to trade his wife + kids to Sacramento for the #5 pick.

19. MadMax

I like the idea of bringing in Howard (and such as...the Iraq)

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm just making fun of a few posters who said they were going to turn their backs on this franchise if we traded for certain people. We're all drama queens when it comes to sports at some point.