1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS] Preseason Primer: Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deep Waters, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Deep Waters

Deep Waters Member

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/24777199

Glaring weakness: Three point shooting. Brooks isn't an efficient shooter. Martin's three point shooting dropped off a cliff last season. Budinger can shoot, but the rest of the team isn't great from the arc, including backup point guard Kyle Lowry.

:rolleyes: Are you kidding me?? This article took a huge downfall after this section. Author also has Jeffries "battling out the backup 2 spot".

2. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

ya that was a terrible analysis

but thx for posting nonetheless

3. Deep Waters

Deep Waters Member

The Rockets finally have Yao Ming healthy. They finally have Tracy McGrady out of their hair. They finally have the pieces together to make another run. But can any of the pieces fit together? Are they really as dangerous as everyone says they are? Does speaking in rhetorical questions make you want to read this, our next selection in our Preseason Primers ? Let's find out as we talk about the Rox.

Training camp site: Houston, TX (Hidalgo, TX in early October)

Training camp starts: September 25th

Key additions:
    Brad Miller (free agent), Courtney Lee (trade), Patrick Patterson (draft)

Key subtractions: Trevor Ariza (trade), David Andersen (trade)

Likely starting lineup: Aaron Brooks (PG), Kevin Martin (SG), Shane Battier (SF), Luis Scola (PF), Yao Ming (C)

Player to watch: Patrick Patterson. Assuming the Rox don't go all nuts and acquire Carmelo Anthony during camp, their starting lineup is pretty well set. But Patterson is a rookie who comes out of that ridiculous Kentucky class and could wind up being the kind of flex player that makes a big impression on Rick Adelman. He's versatile, strong, has a good mid-range, and can work inside of a complex offense. He's got a great opportunity to make an impact for the Rockets during camp.

Chemistry quiz: The Rockets have seemed like a team that's liked one another for years. They hung together when Yao Ming went down, and their samurai-like approach last year was noble, even if it fell short. Basically, even without the star talent you need to win in this league, the Rockets were the team you didn't want to run into in a dark alley. They were tough, gritty, and hung together. The addition of Kevin Martin, trying to reassert himself as a premier player in this league could cause issues, and there's no telling if the same goodwill will maintain with as many changes as the Rockets have made in the past two years. But the core elements are in place, and the tone of camp should be fun and focused, instead of contentious and tense. Not having solified expectations due to Yao's injury should help with manners as well.

Camp battles: Small forward was set to be a huge battle but promising second year man Chase Budinger tweaked an ankle and won't be able to battle old man Battier for the slot left open by Trevor Ariza's departure. Jermaine Taylor, Courtney Lee, and Jared Jeffries should have a good one for the backup role behind Martin. Jordan Hill vs. Patterson should make for a nice one as well, with Hill's scrap versus Patterson's finesse providing contrast in style.

Injury issues: Budinger's ankle is significant, but other than that the Rockets seem really healthy and don't have any pro...OH, YEAH. Yao Ming is coming back from an injury that's held him out for a year and a half and is trying to just stay on the floor while the rest of the team holds its breath everytime his feet leave the ground. camp.

Biggest strength: Doin' work. The Rockets put in a full effort every night, a testament to both the roster assembled and Rick Adelman's job. They lacked an identity last year without Yao, but it did help them to adjust to whatever they faced. The Rockets can get out and run, or grind it out. They're really best when they're doing both. They'll battle for every loose ball and every player knows his role. It's a strong team they've put together.

Glaring weakness: Three point shooting. :eek: Brooks isn't an efficient shooter. :eek: Martin's three point shooting dropped off a cliff last season. Budinger can shoot, but the rest of the team isn't great from the arc, including backup point guard Kyle Lowry.

Posted by Matt Moore

4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

This is my problem with writers like this. 3 point shooting? We are the Houston Rockets... we traded Ariza... I could understand defense or rebounding. They look too deep into the numbers and stats... look at the freaking games we play then talk or stfu!

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I swear some posters here act like little kids begging for attention from the media like a kid, "look at me daddy, look, look".

Who give a **** about previews, rankings, ratings BEFORE the season even starts.

6. Deep Waters

Deep Waters Member

Are you kidding me REEKOHTOWN....Yeah, big cry of attention right here. Thought I'd share some **** that got me laughing. I could give a **** about your attention or your post.

Leave your "daddy" issues out the forum. Ain't nobody talking about attention, we're talking Rockets.

Obviously, Rockets and NBA fans give a **** about previews, rankings, ratings BEFORE the season even starts or else articles or offseason forums like CLUTCHFANS wouldn't exist.

1 person likes this.
  7. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Saying brooks is an inefficient shooter is ridiculous, he shot the most 3's at nearly a 40% clip. Author fails at bball stats.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I actually wasn't posting about you but since you wanna act all hard....

[​IMG]

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

10. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If rhete Is one ngith we nac do lewl, is't tsoohign hrtees...

#11 RudyTBag, Sep 24, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Stop... just stop.

13. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

[​IMG]

14. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

He also added a half-year onto Yao's injury. As far as I remember, he missed one year (plus a few playoff games).