1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS] NBA top 50 players: TMac No.6, Yao No.9

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wireonfire, Sep 29, 2004.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The US played better when ever Lebron played. I don't think he played five minutes in the game against Puerto Rico. I would bet that he had his most minutes in wins. I don't think he played any minutes against or very few against Italy in the exhibition loss. I don't know why Larry Brown didn't play him, the team was a better team when Lebron was on the court.

2. ucansee2020

ucansee2020 Contributing Member

There's really no point in debating on Lebron James on Rockets board. Yes, LJ is good, but not as great as the media hyped him up to be. A poor-shooting athletic guard is a dime a dozen in the NBA.

3. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

BINGO....they come around all the time....

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Lebron James probably exceeded his hype in his rookie season.

5. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

yeah i see alot of 19 year olds who [played as good as lebron did:rolleyes:

Lebroon is unbelievable, everybody was amazed how good Amare played last year, and lebron played even better. Cleveland is a terrible team it was logical that they didn't make the play offs.

If lebron is a dime a dozen then you would trade him for most SG in the nba:rolleyes:

6. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You can't see 20/20.

Lebron is not just another athletic guard that shoots poorly, he was an 18 year old that lived up and exceeded the hype that will never, ever be matched again. Nodody will ever come into the NBA and have as much hype as he did, nobody will ever exceed hype like he did, he came in as an 18 year old and scored 30 in his first game. Everyone wants to hate on him because of the attention he receives and they don't even see how good he really is and how much better he will get.

I know Tracy is our boy, but I'd trade him for Lebron in a second, and I would be confident in saying that we'd have a better season with Lebron than we would with Tracy.

7. ucansee2020

Didn't Cleveland have an all-star power forward, a top 5 center and a good PG also? How come they couldn't even make it to the playoffs in the east with your wonderboy leading the charge?

8. JumpMan

Boozer was not an All Star, McInnis wasn't on the team all year, not even half, his injury was the main thing that kept them out of the playoffs. They were only one win away from the playoffs anyway...

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

The universal problem with top 10, top 100, top 20, top 50 lists, is the fundamental subjectivity included. While you can say that stats don't lie, which stats you choose to rely on is up to the person making the list (once again, subjective).

Mike Kahn has never been a guy to try and be 100% objective anyway. He's selectively forecasting (Shaq), selectively relying on accepted beliefs (Duncan over KG, 2nd year guys should still be low and Lebron & Melo need to be connected), selectively relying on last year's stats (Francis' plummet), selectively making winnning a premium (nearly the entire Pistons squad getting a lift of 9 to 20 some positions), and selectively applying a double standard (Gasol staying low for inconsistency, but not Yao), etc.

Nature of the beast.

Devil's advocate: what should matter more: a player's ability to perform on the court (Kobe, Francis, etc) or a player's ability to make his team better (Kidd '02, KG, etc)?

Evan

10. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

exactly

11. arno_ed

No they didn't
    Boozer: not all star. he is a acceptable power forward. he works hard. but not a all-star.
    Ilgauskas is not a top5 center.But that is debatable. But he is only close because the center position is that weak
    McInnis was there for 31 games. he is a acceptable point guard.
    But if lebron is just a dima a dozen, for who would you trade him?

12. ucansee2020

From all of your replies, I think some of you get my point. Bottom line is; Lebron James was not on a team without talent, and yet he is still unable to carry them to a playoff spot in the EAST. That alone tells me that he's not made his team better no matter how you want to say how great he is.

13. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

AMEN. What does LJ have to do? Some people look at a young hyped player as being overrated because they hate all the hype that surrounds them. It's NOT his fault that he's been hyped as much as he has. And he's BETTER than advertised.

14. arno_ed

so you will not tel us who you would trade him for?
    why do you keep saying he was not on a team without talent even tough we showed you that some things you said weren't accurate?

15. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Lebron james was on a team with alot of talent.

Ricky Davis, Darius Miles, Big Z, Boozer

they had 3 guys who basically did the same things, so they shipped 2 of them off for role players that better fit Lebron's game and Silas' system.

The cavs went out almost every night with the better front court in Z and Boozer. Who complimented each others games well and meshed well with Lebron.

They just didn't get it done.

Lebron is a great great talent. and he will surely be one of the greats in the game for a long time. He isn't michael. Neither are Kobe nor Tmac. I wouldnt trade either of those superstars for Lebron. If i were the heat gm, i would trade shaq for yao.

Lebron will be a top 10 player in this league soon enough, just not this year.

in other words, hop off.

16. JumpMan

17 win team the year before, 35 win team with Lebron, is that not making them better?

17. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

They had 29 wins in 01-02, then tanked the next year to get Lebron.

By the same logic, Yao won 16 more games for Rockets in his Rookie year. :rolleyes:

Denver was by far the worst team in 2002. You could see they played very
    hard, but just had trouble scoring over 75.

#57 snowmt01, Sep 30, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2004
  18. arno_ed

This was what i wanted to hear. I do not think Lebron is a top 10 player this year, but in this articel he is not even a top 40, and that is not correct IMHO.
    i do think that it is great that Lebron lifed up to the hype.
    I do not compaire player from now with legends, it is not fair.

19. ucansee2020

Exactly.

20. JumpMan

That 2001-2002 team had Andre Miller, the next year Ricky Davis was their best player, never a good thing.

Yao and a healthy Francis improved the Rockets, the Cavs sucked when they were healthy.

Denver was horrible too, I guess you could say they were worse, both still sucked.