1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS] NBA top 50 players: TMac No.6, Yao No.9

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wireonfire, Sep 29, 2004.

1. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

2. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Looks like you understand me more than I myself do. :)
    T-mac chose Yao based on potential. He sees Yao as the most dominant post player in the league down the road. I totally agree and I see Yao at least crack the top 5 and hopefully the top 3 in two years. But as of now, I don't think he's in top ten yet. That's my point.

3. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Didn't Divac say that Yao would be the MDP in two years?

Not that I agree with that. Certainly some experts think very high of Yao.

4. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

5. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

duncan, shaq, kobe, kg, tmac, dirk, jo

drop off

ai,

step down

yao, pp, peja, ak

6. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

I don't understand why AI is still so high. His body is breaking down, he's not as quick as he used to be, and he still can't shoot conistently. And becoming a PG is supposed to make him better? I thought they tried that experiment and concluded that he was better as a SG.

7. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

No way! He is way too inconsistent to be ranked that high.

8. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

In most of those ranks, they scale players stats into the same playing time, say 38 minutes. Yao has a big advantage based on that since his weakness (less play time due to lack of stamina) becomes his strength, namely, all of his stats are scaled up (include TO:D ).

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

billups is a good role player on a championship team but way too many people have ranked in some kind of all-star/super-star level when he is most certainly not. he's nowher near the calibur of player as francis or marbury.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Jermaine O'Neal is way overrated in that list. People should check his %%.

11. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

how can it be that KG dropped a place, he was the MVP, you do not drop a place if you are MVP:rolleyes:
    there are more players on strange places.Lebron is way to low, Boozer so high??

12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I was just thinking, there is no one in the league I would take for LeBron if I were Cleveland. This includes long term, right now type of thinking. I would pause if KG were offered. That's about it. Maybe Carmelo if you added something to sweeten the deal. I can't believe anyone thinks of a sophmore 19 year old as a number 42. Unreal. Basically, I'm trying to say that I disagree with a lot of this poll.

Surprise surprise...someone disagrees.

13. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Hmm.m.m.m.....one problem with taking LeBron over anybody.

There is no guarantee that he will sign with Cleveland - maybe a 60% chance - unless you are sure that the most hyped players in the league wants to stay in Ohio?

He hasn't proved to me that he is as good as the hype yet. Physically, he's mature, so I don't see any improvement on that front. He shot the ball better than I expected, but if he is really all that, how does he not carry a team with a good point guard, a pretty good center, and a really good power forward to the playoffs in the Leastern conference?

Here's some food for thought:

Mystery player's first two years:

99-00 77 77 36.1 .445 .345 .786 2.00 3.30 5.30 6.6 1.53(ST) .38(BL) 3.97 3.00 18.0

00-01 80 79 39.9 .451 .396 .817 2.40 4.50 6.90 6.5 1.76(ST) .39(BL) 3.31 3.40 19.9

LeBron
    03-04 79 79 39.5 .417 .290 .754 1.30 4.20 5.50 5.9 1.65(ST) .73(BL) 3.46 1.90 20.9

The first two stat lines belong to SF, as I'm sure some/most of you guessed. All I'm saying is that there is no guarantee that a player will improve in the league, especially if he does really well the first season and gets the ball and minutes that he wants.

It's also interesting that some stats experts say that Dwayne Wade had a more beneficial effect on his team than LeBron or Carmello.

That being said, I'd agree that it's a short list of players you would trade him for: TD, KG, Yao, TMac, Kobe.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Well I agree with you. Steve Francis was already 22 when he came into the league. Lebron being only 19 almost has to improve. And its not just the stats, its the way he plays the game. He was the best player on the Olympic team outside of Tim Duncan. A guy who just has natural instincts for the game. He almost always knows who to get the ball to. He's more physical than Kobe and T-Mac and he also seems to be more coachable.

As far as the rest of the list, the most ridiculous ranking on there is Elton Brand moving up 7 spots despite not having any impact on winning. Winning should at least count for something.

15. ucansee2020

ucansee2020 Contributing Member

Did you even watch Olympic games? Lebron James played terribly in most of the games. He seemed lost in those international games. AI was the best player on the US team.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Yes I watched the games. Lebron almost singlehandedly carried them against Australia. He started out slowly but by the end of the tournament he was their best guard.

17. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

He was mostly sticked to the bench in the medal round.
    Duncan, Odom, A.I., Marion were the better players.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So next season would you take Marion, A.I. and Odom in front of Lebron? Adn if he didn't play in the Medal round that much he should have, seeing how the team finished.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Sure, there's no guarantee, but I'd say it's a lot better than 60% since he's from Ohio.

20. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

I think we are referring to the Olympics :confused:

How many loses US had in the preliminary round against weaker opponents?

In the medal round US lost to the championship only and won both Lieutvia
    and Spain. Lietuvia also beated US sound and square in the preliminary
    round. I thought it was easy to see US played much better in the medal round.