1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CBS: National Debt Up $3 Trillion on Obama's Watch

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

let's see - tax increase on the rich when we had deficit made surplus.

tax cuts for the rich when we had surplus....resulted in deficits.

hmmmmmmmmmm....your logic fails to match results basso. maybe we should take out the a, and one s, and an o from your name eh?

2. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Sorry, but no. Try sources outher than Fox/Limbaugh. Please

3. Steve_Francis_rules

What's wrong with 250k+? Wherever you set the limit, people are going to be complaining that they're not really that rich because they know somebody who makes more. Those making over 250k are already in the top 2%.

4. Steve_Francis_rules

I think it makes a lot more sense to just remove the 'b' and the 'o' from his name.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

cost of Iraq war 738 Billion cost of stimulus 787 billion?

#45 Bandwagoner, Oct 19, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  6. Classic

Classic Member

Check out the wall street salaries. I'm saying people makin millions need to be taxed at a higher rate than the guy makin 250k who's also providing jobs through his small business. People makin millions aren't small business owners.

7. Classic

Classic Member

Hypothetical of course

8. Bandwagoner

Have you ever even bothered to look at the income tax rates?

[​IMG]

9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

these are projected estimates from 5 years ago. I'm sure there are updates

All told, the bill for the Iraq war is likely to top $3 trillion. And that's a conservative estimate.

10. Bandwagoner

My estimate came from costofwar.com yours came from a 2.5 year old news article?

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Wrong. The cost of the Iraq war is estimated to be around 738-900 billion to date. Did you see on cost of war how the numbers are changing rather than staying the same? pretty obvious, right?

That cost grows every second, not just in terms of the 40,000 troop deployment that is currently ongoing, but the billions and billions of veterans benefits & medical costs that are going to be around for the next 60 years.

Also, nice to see you including the tax cut portion of the stimulus as a "cost" - something that a certain party never did.....until the stimulus of 2009.

12. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

would you like an update?

13. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

The person making 250k a year in 1986 is not the same person who's brining in 250k today.

1 person likes this.
  14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually the stimulus did not cost more than the Iraq war.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ni0xJgHhg54?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ni0xJgHhg54?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I feel so sorry for the person making 250K today. how on earth do they make ends meet? I hope they will be OK.

16. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Obama is doing a fantastic job!

Just remember, W handed him a bad economy, so dear leader gets a free pass for bringing it down even more. I mean at least he tried right? That entire party cant argue anything without saying "well bush did this"

I'm really convinced that most democrats think no matter what Obama does, it's still W's fault.

come on now.

17. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

Um, ok?

I don't think someone who makes 250k should be taxed the same amount as someone who is making in excess of 1-2 mil a year. Create a new bracket for the uber-wealthy.

18. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why not? Both are rich.

19. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

For the 811th time where were all of you deficit and debt hawks during Reagan and W's reigns of economic terror?

Massive increases in spending for Medicare Part D and Iraq coupled with massive tax breaks for everyone but mostly the wealthy

?

Obama's fault!

The largest part of the stimulus was tax breaks not spending including the 70 Billion dollar annual AMT patch thanks to Reagan's bungling in 1986. The cost of the Iraq War is already bigger and the long term costs of the interest on the debt to pay for it and the healthcare for our veterans will surpass it.

Obama was given the worst economy since 1929 and you think it's his fault? He should have it turned around in 2 years? It's because of the stimulus pumping funds into local governments, the build america bonds, the stimulus tax breaks and TARP that we're not looking at a full blown Depression.

And what to teabaggers whine about most? TARP and the stimulus. God I wish we could run a model of what would have happened if we privatized SS in 2001, allowed Bank of America, Merril Lynch, Wachovia, Washington Mutual, Lehman, Bear Stearns, AIG, Countrywide, GM, Chrysler all to fail at the same time and then just allowed free markets to take care of everything with no government stimulus.

Is it really that hard to understand how worse off we would be?

1 person likes this.
  20. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

This is really the end of the line for me. All the "I was no fan of Bush but..." is pure tripe. Fiscal conservatism in the GOP died with the uber-Keynesian budgets of clueless Reagan, and culminated in the massively pro-wealthy stance of Bush II. The parties did a complete flip flop on fiscal policy for 20 years and now GOP supporters have the gall to criticize deficits?

Shut. The. ****. Up.*

*Not necessarily directed at anyone in this thread except basso, even though I do not read his posts.