1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CBS: National Debt Up $3 Trillion on Obama's Watch

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Raven

Raven Member

You ever hear of the Golden Rule?

:(

2. SunsRocketsfan

Or we really could stop spending as much and really cut back in a lot of areas. If you give these people more money they will just expand other programs and we will continue to be in this mess

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I guess a hard floor on the tax cuts is not realistic. Oh well.

4. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Along with the Bush tax cuts, tax revenue collapsed thanks to recessions. Stimulus funds are a fairly common way to re-energize the economy, thereby increasing tax revenue.

Of course, this is all avoiding the 800 lb gorilla: that the US citizen pays way less in taxes than he should for the programs he/she demands. Either the programs need to be cut (DoD), or taxes raised. Everything else is probably mere politics, instead of policy.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

is your whole deal, "yeah but look at the democrat"?

6. rhadamanthus

I'd argue a progressive tax policy is exactly that insomuch as this conversation is concerned.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Or both. Of course how could we cut spending or raise taxes during the recession?

Tax the super wealthy. Cut defense budget.

8. rhadamanthus

To be fair, that's better than his previous tactic of making outrageous claims about "liberals" and the "left", getting called out on it, and then abandoning the thread topic. I prefer this new and improved Sunsfan.

9. rhadamanthus

Right? God forbid someone think about this situation past the next election.

10. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I must say I like this new attitude and thinking from conservatives

11. SunsRocketsfan

Nope that is not my whole deal but that just seems to be case in a lot of elections for the midterms. It's obvious the people in congress are not getting the job done. And who is in congress? It happens to be the Democrats. It's been two years and we are clearly not any better off than we were two years ago. I think the people in power need to be accountable and we need to vote some of these scumbags out.

You have Reid, Pelosi, and Boxer who all need to go. Well I know some of their opponents are pretty crappy too. I guess that's what makes it so frustrating.

Anyways No I don't always just blame the Democrat. I actually voted for Clinton his 2nd term.

12. juicystream

I'm not a big fan of raising taxes, but the fact of the matter is the US debt is unsustainable. Something has to be done. The easiest way to do it is tax millionaires more and cut spending in the biggest part of the budget. The Republican party is lost right now.

I recommend new brackets increasing 5% for every $1 million capping out at 50%.

Any future stimulus will be refundable tax credits specifically attached to purchases so that even low income taxpayers will get the full benefit, it is directly related to spending, and it gets money into the private sector faster.

Cut the defense budget 10%.

Crackdown on tax cheats.

Of course I'm in no position to know if these things a feasible or the net effect. Nothing is ever as easy when it comes to the government as it should be.

Our other option is go to war with China at some point.

13. SunsRocketsfan

That would be horrible.. We would lose Yao Ming

14. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

and blaming others for the problem is not a strateregy for fixing it.

15. juicystream

If he had a son it would matter to me.

16. basso

Supporting Member

problem isn't tax rates, but revenues. there's no evidence that raising taxes just on the wealthy will produce more of the latter.

i think it's time to try the flat tax, and include investment income/cap gains.

15% off the top for everyone. no loopholes, no deductions (including mortgages.)

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Obama continuing the TARP program was key, also the stimulus bill was critical in staving off a depression. People say it's a waste but the data says otherwise.

You look at our budget, and most of it goes to entitlement programs, military, and transportation. "Discretionary" spending really isn't what is breaking our back. It's a lack of revenue due to tax cuts and a weak economy.

When you run a deficit during a boom, you are doomed to run one in a recession. That's what Bush did, and that's why we are in a mess. You can't reduce a deficit now, it won't go away until we get into another boom. People talk about how much bigger Obama's deficit is, but they fail to neglect the state of the economy and that nearly all the deficit is a result of that weakness and tax cuts as well as military expenditure. We leave Iraq, Afganistan, return taxes to Clinton era rates, and our economy recovers and that deficit is all gone.

Before Obama is done as president, he will oversee a balanced budget. I think he will get re-elected as his 2nd two years will be a lot better than his first.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Do you have any idea how many people on this board 3-4 years ago predicted that basso would start this thread?

I wish I was good at searching, but I specifically remember that right around Obama becoming president, a lot of posters were waiting for this lol

19. basso

Supporting Member

ask Sam- he has all my posts bookmarked.

btw, Obama did not become president "3 or 4 years ago."

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

apparently making up lies is though for you.