1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS] Andre Johnson Was Denied New Contract

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Don't blame him.
    Don't blame the Texans.

He wasted his entire career on garbage QBs and fool's gold teams.

This is for the best. Not to mention we have Hopkins as next in line, send AJ to a contender while we retool.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The decision has already been made, with his contract it doesn't make any sense to cut him this year which is why he stands to gain nothing by being petulant. He'll be on the roster, probably have a terrible season just like MJD when he pulled this BS and have to take a HUGE pay cut next year because everyone will think he's washed up.

I don't blame the Texans and I do think cutting him next year is in the best interest of the Texans, but AJ holding out of camp isn't in anyone's best interest. It hurts the team this year and it'll hurt AJ going forward trying to get another team to sign him next year.

3. Major

Major Member

That's not true. If the Texans cut him this year, they save an additional $7MM in caproom next year. If he doesn't play in 2014, there's no benefit to the Texans to keep him under contract through next year unless they can't afford to take the cap hit. It's better to take it now in a rebuilding transition year than next.

There's no benefit to cutting him next year over this year unless (a) they think he'll play or (b) they can't handle the cap hit.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If they cut him right now, they have no one to play WR1 and only 3 mil to replace him with. There's really no incentive to cutting him right now. You make him play out this year which gives you plenty of time and cap space to replace him next off-season. You also get the bonus of forcing him to play his ass off because he'll be playing for a new contract.

His only real alternative to playing for the Texans this year is to retire from football and if he does that, you get even more cap room. Andre has literally 0 leverage in this situation so the only person he really hurts by keeping this up is himself because the Texans aren't set to make a SB run next year no matter what. If he plays poorly, he costs himself millions and the only difference it makes to the Texans is that they win maybe 8 games instead of 9.

5. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Hold up what do you mean give the team and fans a little something back. Didn't this man give this city and team 12 great years of solid football? You do know this is a cut throat business right? Teams cut these loyal hard working players all the time. Like Bobbythegreat stated, its a good chance they will cut him after this season no matter what type of production. Now will you blast the organization for doing that to him?
    This is the nature of the business life in all pro sports. So why are most fans tripping over this situation. Lol

6. Pokemon

Pokemon Member

David Quessenberry came out to help out the team. But Andre Johnson did not even show up or even show when David need everyone prayers.. I guess Andre Johnson is just for show. Want more $$$ and get tax write-off..

7. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

If they cut him going into this off season, yes I would have blasted them. If they cut him now, good, lets find a player that wants to play for us. If its about money, like bobbythegreat said, hes only hurting himself and wasting it without any leverage. If its about the team then he needs to get over it. Like you said its a BUSINESS, he has a JOB TO DO, its what hes paid MILLIONS to do. I dont get anywhere near millions, but if I just skipped a week of work I dont think they would just put up with it, and who would get mad at my boss for firing me? If I hate my job, I quit, or work through it until Im done, not sit around and pout.

And yea he gave us 12 great years of football, and this is how he wants to end it? I feel like Ed Reed rubbed off on him. We need a leader, not a baby. And right now, Quessenberry is more of a stable point for this team than our oldest veteran... and thats RIDICULOUS.

1 person likes this.
  8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

╔═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╗
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong Texan ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who need don't need no diva WR ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ╚═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╝

9. Major

Major Member

Except my starting premise was "That said, if the Texans decide AJ isn't going to play for them this year regardless, they have a decision to make wrt cutting him now or later". In that scenario, they don't have a WR1 either way.

No - he can just not show up and not get paid.

10. Remii

Remii Member

Dream brought two championships to this city and fans turned their back on him. AJ could give a flying flip what us fans think.

Exactly. Or he could just show up and half azz it through the season and collect a check and there is nothing the Texans could do about it. AJ has a lot of leverage.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Santonio Holmes? He's terrible right now but he needs a good year to save his career and recoup value. At least he might be motivated. I feel like San Diego might have a guy they'd cut lose. Vincent Brown? Where is he now?

12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I dont think the fans completely turned their back on him, he still has a lot of respect today from us from what I can tell. And Dream didnt leave for money or when the team was going through a big change and could really use his leadership...

If he wants to get cut and retire after this season, yea he has a lot of leverage. If he wants to join another team after this season, half-a$$ing it would not look good. Either one, teams will give him no money or not really want him cuz he looks terrible, or two, they pick him what after he says "they pissed me off so i held back to get back at them and really showed them" what team would want a little baby like that?

13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I'd be willing to try Holmes out.. Im pretty sure Meachem and Austin are still out there somewhere, Meachem had to deal with Graham getting all Brees's attention but I didnt think he was that bad, and Austin is on a downward slope but better than no one. Plus I think any of them would be available for cheap, not sure tho.

14. Remii

Remii Member

Dream did want more money. And he stayed away from the Rockets organization for a long time after retirement until recently. But the Rockets have a few great retired players they could call upon. All Bob McNair has is AJ. But maybe McNair wouldn't care that the only H.O.F. player he has ever had has nothing to do with the organization after he retires.

Regardless of what goes on this year _ as long as AJ is healthy teams will trip over themselves trying to sign him. There's only 5-7 true #1 receivers in the NFL and AJ is one of them. And it's not like he's a problem child like T.O. or Randy Moss.

15. Major

Major Member

Again, you're looking at this as a fan. Look at Randy Moss. He whined his way out of Minnesota, sucked and whined in Oakland, and then got picked up by the Patriots and had a record setting year. Or look at how many opportunities Terrell Owens got despite blowing up multiple teams. If teams see talent, they will overlook the rest of it. Compared to those guys, AJ is a saint.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

AJ's situation is most comparable to what Tony Gonzales went through before winding up in Atlanta. I'd even go as far as to say we should be compensated in about the same way (2nd rounder I believe). I think the difference might be AJ is making significantly more money, but I could be wrong on that.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

As a TE, it's almost assured Gonzalez was making less money. He did have 3 years left on his deal when he was traded though, and he was the "highest paid TE in history" at the time. So... I'd guess 7-8 million.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well that's not a realistic premise, if he doesn't show up, he doesn't get paid....that's how it works. Not only that, if he doesn't show up he doesn't get credit for working a year off his contract, adding another year to his contract.

He has no choice but to play or retire. Furthermore, if he plays poorly, he'll only be hurting himself because it'll make it look like he's washed up torpedoing his value to any future team.

19. Remii

Remii Member

But yet you continuously say AJ will be cut next year. So even if he sits out this year _ he still will be cut next year according to you. And if the Texans don't cut him and he comes back and plays they have to pay him. Win win for AJ all around the board.

20. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Until now. If I were a coach or GM, while yes I would really want AJ, this would be a little unsettling, I dont think a coach like say... Belechik would put up with a player pouting when he doesnt get his way. But thats just me. Maybe his skill outweighs that.

All in all, you are probably right, I understand it is a business, and hes gotta do what hes gotta do, and he might be upset. But the timing is just so terrible, I think thats what has me most upset. We were all upset about last season, I have hopes for this season but im scared of injuries, we have one guy battling for his life, everyone working hard in a new system, and our role model star vet is just casting us off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.