1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS] Andre Johnson Was Denied New Contract

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Granville

Granville Member

All that may be true but it appears that TJ was right about what's really going on.

2. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Hypothetical speaking here, Andre put up his usual 1400+yards, leads the team in reception and have a career best in Touchdowns. Do you honestly believe the Texans will cut him?

What if we make it to the playoffs.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The savings also shows up in getting a deal done with Watt early. The longer you wait they less security you are offering so the money will need to increase.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He'd probably be given the option to rip up his contract and take a new one for a massive pay cut, but if not, absolutely he'd be cut. He'll be 34 next year and JJ Watt will need a new contract...an extra 9 mil will go a long way towards that. There is no chance in hell that they keep Andre at a 16 mil cap hit next year and he knows it.

5. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

what contract will be used as a baseline for JJ's next contract?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No clue, but he deserves a ton of cash and he'll get it. He's pretty much the face of the franchise.

7. Remii

Remii Member

They could afford to keep AJ if they want. They have over 20 players with none guaranteed money on the books next season. J-Jo is the guy who's taking up J.J.'s money _ not AJ.

Mario Williams only played 5 games his final year here and got a huge contract... That's probably the starting point.

8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What Andre is doing is how negotiations work in the NFL. It is what it is.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not really, he's just trying to hurt the Texans as much as possible because they won't give in to his demands. There is no "negotiation" happening, he's already been told that he's not getting a new deal, he just hasn't accepted it yet. Basically the same thing that happened to MJD in Jacksonville.

11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

He JUST DID THIS.. we gave in, gave him a huge contract, and when we finally try to fix some core problems he decides to be a big baby about it. He can go find more somewhere else for all I care. Our current veterans are trying everything they can to buy in to this new system and make it work and he is being selfish.

Andre is a great player, he deserves the most money on this team and a lot of respect. He got the most money, and he is now rapidly losing respect from everyone. What does he expect will happen when he returns with or without more money? open arms from his teammates who have been working their a$$ of all summer? I dont think so. I loved Andre, and he is pissing his reputation away.

12. Major

Major Member

He would probably like that.

You're looking at this from a fan viewpoint. Players hold out all the time - and other players never look down on them for it. They are always welcomed back. Players all recognize that, ultimately, this is a business and they all treat it that way. He's also not really hurting his reputation with 955 of the fanbase. He could show up in a month and all will be forgiven - most fans wouldn't ever even know he was gone.

13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

You are right, I am looking at it from a fan viewpoint. And I know players act like this regularly, but Andre has always been the quiet, composed, dominant, player and centerpoint for this team.. you would think he would step up here and be the leader we need, maybe give the team and the fans a little something back for all the love and support we have given him.

We didnt think much of it when he first held out, we gave in, rather easily, and paid him what he wanted. Now he is just taking advantage of a critical time and situation and I guess I just didnt expect that from him, I had more respect for him than the money grabbers on other teams.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If he wants to find more money elsewhere, he will be free to do that a year from now, why would he hold out now if that's what he wanted?

15. Major

Major Member

Why work for no real purpose, from his perspective? If he doesn't care that much about the money itself - as demonstrated by forfeiting the $1MM, then he probably is just interested in playing under the right circumstances - I assume that means playing for a team that wants to make a long-term commitment to him so he can try to win something.

Not saying he's right or wrong, but I can see his logic.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well he's simply not going to get his way and he should have known that all along because in theory, he's not an idiot. All he did was cost himself north of 1 mil and made himself look like an ass. He'll still be on the Texans this year unless he retires and he'll still get cut at the end of the year. All he's done is show a lack of professionalism and erode his image to his fans.

17. Major

Major Member

Again, I'm not sure he cares about any of those things. Fans are fickle - all those years of professionalism got him nothing; a hold out now won't hurt him in the long run. If the Texans keep him, so be it. He doesn't appear to care about losing the money and he saves himself a whole lot of effort and injury risk in the process. He'll get released next year, and his body will be healthier and well rested for whatever team he signs with. Fans of the new team won't care about his holdout, and he will have no reason to care what fans of the Texans think.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, but if that's his stance, there's really no reason why any of us should care about him either. I mean it just proves that the Texans are right to not have him as a part of the Texans long term plans. They only want team-centric players and he just isn't that kind of guy anymore.

19. Major

Major Member

Oh certainly - I don't think the Texans under any obligation to do anything except whatever they feel is best of the team. They have him under contract and absolutely are in the right to hold him to it if they want.

20. Major

Major Member

That said, if the Texans decide AJ isn't going to play for them this year regardless, they have a decision to make wrt cutting him now or later. If they cut him this year and can handle the cap hit now, they free up even more money next year. However, I don't know if there's a particular date they'd have to cut him by or when they'd have to make the decision. But if AJ is actually willing to hold out for the whole season, it may actually benefit the Texans to cut him this season rather than next - that may also be part of AJ's calculus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.