1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS] Andre Johnson Was Denied New Contract

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What would be in the best interest of the franchise would be for Andre to stop being a distraction and get his ass in camp.

The Oilers always had a terrible owner, the Texans have one of the better owners in the league, there's really no comparison at all.

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Except for the fact that in the end, both were MAJOR disappointments and that's the PG version of what I really feel. Andre can be the biggest Pollyanna this side of Walt Disney - he can smile and recite the company line until his eyes bleed and in the end he'll still be ****ed because he'll be wasting another year on a team going nowhere. And he knows that and sees the inevitability of it all. Now is he handling it well? Hell no. As someone pointed out here earlier, Calvin Johnson has been mired on a team with a history just as pathetic if not more so and he's not publicly crying about it. It's just the nature of the beast - not everyone gets a happy ever after.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The difference being that the Lions aren't about to dump Calvin Johnson after this year. It's never been a "winning" thing, Andre is pissed that he's about to be cut. Also, I get that fans can be overly pessimistic down in the dumps types, but I'd hope they were still capable of rational thought. The Texans are still in a pretty good position for the future, it's just obvious that Andre won't be a part of that future and he's butt-hurt about it. I don't blame him for feeling butt-hurt about it, but I do expect him to be a professional about it. All he's done this off-season is cost himself north of 1 million bucks so that he could throw a fit about the Texans' plans to cut him, he hasn't changed anything.

4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

You really think Andre is going to be cut? THAT, I'll believe when I see it. As for the Texans' future, it's far too murky to make definitive conclusions. If they remain true to their history, they are in for a (another) rebuilding period with no definitive time period which should be followed by a period where their chances of contention depend more on the condition of their opponents than on their capabilities as a team. After all, the last time they really burst through to win the division coincided with the decline of the Colts due to the P Manning injury. Once Indy found his replacement, the Texans ceased to be a factor in the division. It is what it is. I wish them all the luck in the world because they will most definitely need it and much more. They will also have to be smart and smart is a word I don't associate with this franchise given what I've witness these past 12 years.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's almost 100% certain that he'll be cut after this season....which is why Andre is upset. He wanted a new deal that would allow him to stick around rather than working to learn a new system only to be cut a year later and made to learn another system the next year.

6. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

If the Lions go 2-14 and its year 12 for Calvin you can best believe he will won't out of Detroit. Will he come out publicly and express his frustration, hmmm who knows, maybe someone with a crystal ball could tell us.

Exactly these players are human just like we are lol. Look at some of the reaction around here. Mr. Bobbythegreat is still bashing AJ. Lol

7. conquistador#11

I doubt that. It's the Nfl. Players tend to be more loyal as long as you offer them the right amount. Superbowl chasing doesn't happen til' the organizations decide to cut off ties, "salary cap reasons".:p

8. Remii

Remii Member

He said "wants out" of Detroit after year 12. He said nothing about chasing super bowls. "Wants out" could also mean retire and Detroit is no stranger to that. The team suxked so bad Barry didn't even want to play even more. AJ seems to be in the same boat. Trying to figure out if he even wants to play.

And Deion Sanders and a couple of other players who crossed the San Francisco/Dallas line disagrees with you.

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Andre sees the truth: he would be the poster boy for a sub .500 team and then cut in 2015. That's just business in the NFL. I guess he didn't see the losing part back when he signed the deal. He certainly did see the possibility of getting cut though, that's why players get the signing bonus.

Play, retire, or find your own deal but don't be a whiny distraction to a team trying to remake itself and undermine a new coach.

10. Indaface

Indaface Member

I don't care what fans think but i'm sure his teammates can't be too happy with him for not being out there. Especially as he is supposed to be one of the veterans/leaders on this team.

11. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

And you heard this where? Do you have someone on the inside leaking you this information. Because you sound as if you know exactly what's going on. Hey maybe you are a mind reader or have a crystal ball. Lol

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Travis Johnson reporting before any of this got out that Andre was upset because he wasn't given a new contract when he asked for one is pretty solid info. I know people here laughed it off, but the fact that it was quickly followed by a holdout by Andre seems to back it up. People on here are ready to let CyberX sleep with their wives and mothers for his "rumors" without even 1/100th of the type of corroboration that Travis Johnson has on this.

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

OB makes a great point. Dude plays football for a living. Im sure the learning curve for this new system is not that big. If Dre can run his routes and still catch the ball come Game 1, all will be forgiven.

14. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

For the sake of argument.. lets say he WILL get cut after this season. It is still in his best interest to learn it, excel in it, in order to get a contract elsewhere next year. Unless he just wants to retire, acting the way he has been just does not make any sense.

15. Remii

Remii Member

Exactly... The route tree does not change. The only thing AJ has to learn is the terminology and O'Brien may have already gave that to him to study. Him not showing up for training camp is no big deal. He's not one of these players that needs to be coached up.

Regardless what kind of season AJ has _ rather good or bad he will get somewhere between Steve Smith and Reggie Wayne type money as long as he's healthy. Other teams will take into consideration that he had a new unproven head coach, an assorted poo-poo platter of quarterbacks, and he didn't won't to be here. He'll only have to retire if he wants to.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I don't doubt that he's friends with AJ, I just think he's a douche. He was a complete bust as a player so why does he get to be on the radio?

Former players on the radio have to either be 1) interesting or b) good players. TJ is neither.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

AJ is on the wrong side of 30 at his position to be be skipping mini-camps -- dude signed a huge long-term deal -- get back to work Andre.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Travis Johnson doesn't know **** about anything. Half the time he flip flops opinions at the first sign of contention. He's about a good a source as incarcerated bob.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You don't have to hear it from anywhere, look at his contract, it just screams "cut me for cap relief". The Texans can save 9 mil next year by dumping Andre Johnson and it'll be in a year where they'll need to pony up cash to JJ Watt....like all of it.

There's just no way anyone can justify a 16 mil cap hit for what will be a 34 year old Andre Johnson.

20. Granville

Granville Member

This.... I love Andre Johnson but he needs to suck it up and play. Whatever happens in the offseason happens. Not the first guy to be in this situation and he won't be the last.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.