1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS] Andre Johnson Was Denied New Contract

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I love AJ as much as everyone else here, but you can't put your whole rebuilding plan on hold because of one player.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, we should be prepared to lose him at some point. I know McNair doesn't want to and I know we'll make an attempt to appease him but this is the NFL. If you aren't used to it yet you need to learn to embrace it at some point. If Peyton Manning can get ran out of town anyone can.

I'm fine with losing Andre Johnson after this year. That's just life with the cap structured the way it is currently. Watt is much more important to this team at this point than Andre Johnson. Duane Brown should also be if he can regain his form. He's locked up though.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I agree, I'm not sure why why you needed to point that out in regards to my post.

4. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Damn, this hurts that we're talking about this. Andre can still put up top 5 WR numbers. Please do not lose this man. We will regret it.

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I have stated this multiple times, the Texans should find a way to move Andre and give him a chance at a title. He really truly deserves it. Just looking back at his career, he has stats and tons of individual accolades...but the chance to be a consistent winner/a champion has eluded him here in Houston. Of all the contending teams, which teams do you think would be interested in his services??? Seattle could use a beast like Andre, but I think a dark horse candidate could be New Orleans.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Andre is a top 2 WR but not sure what we can get for him.

7. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Still don't understand how some fans are comfortable with letting Andre go

-He's the face of the franchise
    -Has shown he can still produce
    -Has been extremely loyal
    -Still puts up top 5 WR stats
    -Face of the franchise

8. mick fry

mick fry Member

Omg, i can see it now. Mallett traded to Texans for Johnson. Please for the love of god, wake up Smith dont you dare do it!

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Nobody's willing to pay AJ the type of money he's making, especially not if they have to give up picks to do so. He's basically making the combined salary of Eric Decker and Desean Jackson, for reference to this year's FA signings.

Plus Texans trading him would result in us eating $11mil in dead money.

10. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

zero chance AJ goes anywhere.

texans want him.

houston wants him.

he's too much of a professional to force anything.

11. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Stop drinking

12. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

So Mallet + four first round picks for AJ ... :rolleyes:

13. mick fry

mick fry Member

Why would i do that?

14. mick fry

mick fry Member

Rick will probably throw in a fourth round pick with Andre.

15. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

I really can't see myself seeing AJ in another uniform.

16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Dre Day was one of the only bright spot last season, so pay the man. Didn't he not take a pay cut for the betterment of this team? The Texans owe this man big time period.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Andre Johnson has never once taken a pay cut.

In fact he has twice asked for more money. He has restructured his contract, but all that does is push back when he get's paid, not how much.

I love the guy, class act, but we need to go ahead and let him play out this contract, no mas.

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

AJ just wants to win. He'll continue to be "grumpy" until that happens. He isn't going anywhere for a little while.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm comfortable with this. Sure, I want him to retire a lifelong Texan, but at the end of his contact he'll be 36. If he wants that one big last payday, we're going to have to be prepared to let him walk. Just enjoy the next 3 years of watching an all-time great. Hopefully we can get him a couple more playoff wins while he's in Houston.

20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

The conversion of $4.5 million in base salary and a $1 million roster bonus to a signing bonus simply pushes an extra $4.125 million into future years, at a rate of $1.375 million for each of the next three seasons. It increases Johnson’s cap number in 2014 to $12.1 million and in 2015 to a whopping $16.1 million.

With the salary cap staying fairly flat and the free-agency market currently depressed, the 32-year-old Johnson’s skills likely will at some point intersect with the financial commitment, compelling Johnson to take less in order to stay on the team.

Maybe Johnson will do it in order to stay with the only team for which he’s ever played. Either way, the bridge will need to be crossed at some point in the next two years.

Now why would Drebe asking for more money when he is already getting paid big time.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...n-will-eventually-have-to-consider-a-pay-cut/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/andre-johnson/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.