1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CBO: Robust revenue growth

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, May 8, 2006.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The other day I was reading an article (believe it was an Op piece by a non-regular contributor in Sunday's Times) that said that the latest Republican strategy to remedy GWB32's plight was to try to tie the president to GDP growth.

Basso, be honest, is this mere coincidence that you have been doing this the last few days or are you actually doing this on purpose to further the cause?

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

The deficit is shrinking and tax receipts are going up. Great news.

Tax receipts are going up - how do ya like that, liberals? Funny how the tax cuts translated into that (see Laffer curve). Big corporations are paying big taxes.

4. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i'm not on the mailing list, but i do think the news needs to get out, receipts are up, the economy is strong. this should be good news for everyone. not sure why you spend so much energy trying to minimize it. perhaps you have an agenda?

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

First, I can say, to my knowledge, my primary purpose of posting here is as a recreational outlet to express my opinion and for egomaniacal purposes rather than as a dutiful partisan soldier getting the word out. I have no agenda whatsoever other than a personal one.

Second, it doesn't take much energy to type the words "business cycle".

6. Major

Major Member

What does the Laffer Curve have to do with tax revenues rising? Tax receipts rose after tax increases by Bush Sr. and Clinton as well (in both real and nominal terms). In fact, in the last 20 years, the only times tax receipts have dropped were 2001, 2002, and 2003. Since 1950, the only times they dropped were 1955, 1971, 1982, 2001, 2002, and 2003. Not exactly a sterling economic record for Bush there.

Nice try, though.

7. bigtexxx

LOL...depends on where you are on the curve at each point in time. Walk me through your thinking on where it was in each of the data points that you listed and tell me how that proves/disproves what we see today. Bush cut taxes, yet now we have higher tax receipts. interesting.

I like the way you fail to comment on the good economic news, by the way. Very telling of you liberals! Divert attention, keep claiming everything is bad! Keep those eyes shut, liberals!

8. Major

Major Member

I have no comment on the Laffer Curve. The simple fact of the matter is that why we have no idea where on the curve we are, and the Bush tax cuts suggest nothing one way or another. When tax rates rose to their current rates, tax revenues also increased - without having to wait 3 years. You're the one who brought the Laffer Curve up - feel free to explain your logic if you're so sure of the Laffer effect in this case.

Tax revenues didn't rise when the tax rates dropped. They rose when there were steady tax rates these last two years - that's just common sense. If tax rates stay flat, and an economy grows (which it was doing before the tax cuts), then revenues will rise. Again, nothing to do with the Laffer Curve.

9. Major

Major Member

You haven't written anything of substance worth having a real discussion about, so why bother? Yay, the economy is strong! Just as it was in the 1990s after tax rises! What does that tell me? That the business cycle is real.

If that's the level of discussion you're at, that's fine. But the "liberals" you refer to tend to look at a little more substance than fluff. This is the same garbage you spouted when claiming in 2003 and 2004 and 2005 that Iraq was getting so much better - not surprisingly, it was you who had your eyes closed. And you continue to prove that you have yet to open them every day you try to post these types of things over and over again.

10. bigtexxx

OMG!!!!1 This is truly a remarkable event in the history of the BBS! A liberal admits that the economy is strong! Wow! Let's capture this before Major can edit it!!

11. Major

Major Member

When have I ever said it's not? Not surprisingly, yet another post by you that avoids all substance. I'm stunned.

12. bigtexxx

YOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO.........Liberals???!???? Where aaaaarrrreee yoooooouuuu???

SamFisher popped in to try to trivialize the good news, and Major was kind enough to quibble over the technicalities of it, but the rest of you are NOTABLY ABSENT. Are you not happy by the shrinking deficit and increased tax receipts? I request your opinion on this topic. tia

13. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

Ah, the laffer curve...

His son has been in an econ class of mine, wish I had asked about this issue:)

14. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I do think that tax cuts can be good for the economy and I'm glad the economy appears to be getting even stronger

15. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

One more comment, I would think that if the Laffer curve works, it would take a little time.

Cutting taxes wouldn't make revenue go up right away, it would take time.