1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CBA Suggests Written Agreement on National Duty for NBA Team to Get Yao Ming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by windandsea, Jun 24, 2002.

1. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

JZ750, What I meant is - What if the Rockets are working hard to get Ming Wednesday morning and they get a trade offer that they really like. Should they go ahead and pull the trigger or wait for a last minute solution?

Is it time for CD and Rudy to grab a trade IF they like it?

2. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

This is Eric Zhang' interview yesterday in China. He said:

"Monday the Chinese basket association will give us an answer. But I am not clear whether it is the final answer. We cooperate with CBA continuously to maintain the contacting very well. We have had several communications, including several times of communication on telephones. We extremely understand the concerns of CBA. We definitely can understand the attitude of CBA. On 12th of this month, we also carried on one face-to-face communication with the director of CBA, Xin Lanchen. After the talking with us, CBA requested us to be able to give them one plan, or also so-called pledge paper. They have two concerns. One is Yao Ming¡¯s duty to national team; second is the problem of agent¡¯s management. We have submitted this plan and they expressed that we can have an answer on Monday."

Notice:
    "But I am not clear whether it is the final answer"
    Now I think the "pledge paper" from Yao's side is no problem for CBA. They need something for the "team who will draft him."

If Rockets doesn't draft Ming. CBA still can discuss this pledge with any team which has Ming at the draft.

3. heech

heech Contributing Member

I think this situation is *very* similar to another situation we faced only a few weeks ago.

Right before the Rockets left for Shanghai, the Sharks made it clear (through the media) that it wanted written assurance from the Rockets that Yao Ming would not be traded, if the Rockets were to draft him.

At the time, I didn't know if the Rockets would come through and play the game. If they'd be willing to commit themselves on paper to that, and if they'd be able to do it quickly enough that they'd get to Shanghai on time.

Well, that situation turned out very well. The Rockets front-office got through a written agreement overnight (it seems), and they were off to China immediately.

I have the same feeling about this situation. As everyone has said, the Rockets are *fine* with the terms of the verbal agreement and understanding they reached with the authorities in Beijing. The Rockets are not going to manipulate the situation to force Yao Ming to stay here in violation of his national team obligations, and they have said so and publically repeatedly.

I think that, even as we speak, the Rockets are drafting up a document to be faxed over to Beijing. I don't think this hurdle will be a problem.

There's always the fear that this particular hurdle is just a cover for some other kind of a problem... maybe the basketball authorities in China are asking for more than what has been said publically. (Compensation if Yao Ming doesn't come back on time?) But *if* the problem is as we understand it, I think we'll see it resolved positively.

I don't remember how the Tuesday morning deadline (in Houston) came to be, but I think that's when the final word is going to happen.

4. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

Hmm... meaning if the Rockets think its too risky to draft him with their number one pick, other teams can draft him... maybe New York?

btw, I don't think the Chinese government or the CBA once made a statement regarding that Yao must be drafted first, apart from the fact that they wish a city with a large Chinese population can draft him.

Looking at an optimistic side, the Rockets Management might have the written guarantee already done, and are just waiting for the CBA to ask for it before they fax it through. After all their hard work through negotiation, let's just hope everything come through for the Rockets and Yao Ming.

-G'day-

5. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

The Rockets have gotten assurances that Ming will be available for a full NBA season, haven't they? This sounds like a simple thing for the Rockets to reciprocate to the CBA.

6. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

IMO, if this agreement is such small potatoes, it would have been taken care of BEFORE the Rockets publicly said "We are done with our part and the rest is up to them". They didnt say that "we are done with our part except for a written agreement that we wont do this or that".

Obviously, the Rockets arent done with their part and the rest isn't up to them (Chinese govt and CBA)...the rest is up to us or so it seems.

It seems like they want us to guarantee that Ming makes himself available..not that the Rockets will allow Ming to be available. Two completely different things.

I have been all for drafting Ming but Im starting to second guess myself. You do realize that after the draft, after we have used our improbable #1 pick on Ming, that China and the CBA can still play games with us and we may be biting off more than we can chew. This isn't David Falk we are dealing with...this is an entire communist country. I say ...trade the pick.

#26 NJRocket, Jun 24, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2002
  7. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

To be honest, if they made this assurance to us (which I sure as hell hope we got in writing) then it's really only fair that we give them similar assurances. I don't think that's an unreasonable request.

What confuses me is why we didn't already send them this document. We've heard from the Rockets that they told the Chinese that Ming could play for the national team (in fact Rudy T said it would be an "honor" to have a player who represents his country), so why didn't we give them that promise in writing and not just orally?

Time is running out ...

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

No. Any trade that may end up going through will not be accepted by the Rockets till the very last minute...that is how much they are enamored with Ming. IMO, even though they have given a deadline, they will wait till the very end before giving up on Ming.

9. NJRocket

Khan...i think the problem is that the assurances arent similar. We wanted an assurance that the CBA/Chinese gov't would allow Ming to be available to us. Being that we already know that Ming wants to be here, that was enough for us.

I think what they want is for us to assure that Ming makes himself available to them...not to guarantee we will let him go back(they apparently already have that guarantee)...it sounds similar but I believe (if im understanding it correctly) that its different

10. redao

redao Member

Sorry, This must be a rumor, a rumor same as how much Ming should pay to Sharks.

If they really need a written agreement like that. they would never let you guys know first. It will be very unpolite, childish ,insulting, and stupid to ask a written agreement publicly.

The agreement thing had been solved by the CD, RT's trip to China. This agreement is not a legal contract thing.
    There's no law, no rules said that Ming must serve his national team. It is all up to Ming.

If NBA have to write something, here is:

Dear CBA,
    We respect Ming's any choice on his career including National team issue.
    <End>

11. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

I think everyone is blowing this way out of poportion. There is no mention (as of yet) of this on ESPN or CNNSI. If this were major news which could hinder Ming's status, I'm sure that it would be all over the wires already.

So calm down, Ming will be Rocket!

12. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Member

This is way over blown. What a bunch of crap. Oh you don't want the money..... Okay enjoy playing international ball & finishing 4th or 8th best in the Championship..... idiots.

China needs this to get done now.

13. NJRocket

I will take Windandsea's word on any news coming out of China over ESPN, CNN or any other news outlet for that matter.

14. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Let's try to keep a little perspective. The CBA is on the eve of losing (er. . . loaning out) its star player. It should not surprise anyone that someone within the CBA is getting cold feet and paranoid about losing Ming permanently. We have all contemplated the possible defection of Ming. Just magnify our speculation about 1000 fold, and we might get near the level of concern of the CBA.

Lets say that a young, but already beloved, Akeem Olajuwon was going to go overseas to play ball in China (use your imagination). We'd be posting rants about him getting detained there against his will (as opposed to him wanting to stay there voluntarily) and would want every assurance possible before letting him go. Shoot, most of us would never accede to him going to China, no matter how compelling the arguments or assurances.

On balance, China has many compelling reasons for wanting Ming to play in the NBA, so it should happen. But not without gnashing of teeth, tearing of robes and everything else we're hearing.

15. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

NJRocket-

All the China article said is that a letter is needed and implied that it might take some time to get the letter because the Rockets were busy with their draft preparations. IMO, it shouldn't take the Rockets that long to draft a letter.

Unless I am missing something, the article doesn't say that Ming's draft status is being threatened. So my point in ESPN not reporting this is because this is really no news at all.

Unless there is something else that we don't know about

16. mfclark

mfclark Member

Wasn't all of this done verbally as a common agreement between the Rockets and the CBA? All that should simply be needed is transferring it to paper. Don't tell that to TRG, though...will anyone ever realize he's the worst writer ever? His latest article is just proof.

17. Eddie!Eddie!

Eddie!Eddie! Member

NJRocket, I to am a recent disciple of the pro-ming crusade, but now I also have my doubts. My problem is this current situation might not be any big deal, but like NJ said this is something that could (or should )have been done while we were there. It just seems to me that they are stalling on giving him clearance,I don't pretend to know what for, but here are some options:\imo

1.This is no big deal just paper work that
    ensures Ming will be available when called
    2. This is just a game they are playing for
    whatever reason.
    3. They have cold feet!
    They are losing their best player, maybe they have had second thoughts, and are trying to back out gracefully. I am just speculating however . but if this deal isn't done by teusday the Rockets FO better start taking trade offers,because if CBA doesn't have it done by then they probably have other motives than paper work.

18. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

Wang Zhizhi's news came out everywhere today. Besides the news in American media, he accepted the interview of Chinese media too. He said:
    1. He is a Chinese and he will not to defect.
    2. He will play for national team.
    3. He will go back to China and come back again to play NBA.

I think he is trying to do something for Yao Ming at this moment.

I will take this CBA statement seriously. It is from "XINHUA AGENCY", the offical media of China. But it sems what they need is only a wrriten pledge. Now the ball is on Rockets side.

19. NJRocket

This is the problem I have with this whole thing. The Rockets clearly stated that their work was done. It may not seem like a big deal, but 48 hours before the draft, China has tossed the hot potato back to us.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

My only thought is....Clutch, Doc Rocket....any idea on what is going on?

Chris