1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cavs: Wiggins or Love?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by professorjay, Jul 17, 2014.

?

Keep Andrew Wiggins or trade for Kevin Love?

1. Keep Andrew Wiggins

112 vote(s)
    48.3%
  2. Trade Wiggins for Kevin Love

120 vote(s)
    51.7%
  1. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yre5nBXAxyk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Curious to get the objective opinion of fans w/out a real stake here. Assume the only way to get Love is trading Wiggins. Cavs fans seem to blow with the wind. "We're not trading Wiggins? Of course not he's the Next Big Thing!" "Oh wait we're trading for Love? Of course, we need to win NOW."

ANDREW WIGGINS
    [​IMG]
    Could be a superstar for years to come. But it might take time, and there's always the chance he might not even pan out. Lebron is in his peak years, they can't wait too long if at all. Are you drinking the Kool-Aid?

KEVIN LOVE
    [​IMG]
    Kevin Love puts up ridiculous stats few can match. He's a bonafide star, but his defense is not elite and hasn't elevated the Timberwolves as you might expect from a true game changer. He's a great player on a bad team, but can he be a great player on a great team? Are you a Pepsi drinker?

#1 professorjay, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  2. Panda23

Panda23 Member

lebron turning 30, wants to win now, can't wait for Wiggins to develop

Love is a 25/12 machine and will actually give a **** about defense on a championship contender

3. MD_in_Training

Love is unrestricted next year, so if he really wanted to sign with a legit contender, he can go to CLE on his own accord. You keep Wiggins and see how he develops. Even if he's sulking at the end of the bench, he won't lose THAT much value come next offseason. Worst comes to worst, you can move him next year in a S&T for Love, or if Love signs as a UFA, then you move Wiggins for another high-value piece. Rushing into anything now is the stupidest thing CLE can do... so they will probably do just that.

1 person likes this.
  4. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Cleveland is so lucky. :(

5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I'll take phrases that have been said never Alex.

1 person likes this.
  6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

This is a strong point that most of the media is missing. Why not just wait a year and have BOTH?

Apparently Lebron has already begun recruiting Love; it's only a matter of time.
    ------------

Honestly, i think the Cavs should only pull the trigger if it is Waiters + Bennett on their way out. Dion obviously wants his own squad and Bennett is expendable with Love coming in.

7. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

How bout both! :p

To answer the question, obviously Love.

However, while I was looking at Cleveland’s roster to match salaries for a Love trade, I was surprise to find that they could have over 25+ million in cap space next year.

Unless i’m missing something, the cavs could have under contract only – Lebron 21.57 million, Irving 14.75, Wiggins 5.6, totalling 41.9 million... If they renounce the rights, waive or trade Waiters, Bennet, Thompson, Haywood, Varajeo, etc

This leaves 26 million in cap space (projected cap is 68) to sign KLove, etc (minus minimum roster cap holds) and use the exceptions and vet minimums to fill out the roster.

Of course, this plan requires Love to choose Cleveland, over not just minnesotas' bigger contract, but also the draw of LA, NY etc. Furthermore it would require a lot of possibly risky moves in order to clear the roster.

Lastly it would also mean possibly wasting 1 year of Lebrons prime as they would not be getting Love this season but also limited to 1 year contracts to improve the roster.

8. Mr. Space City

keep wiggins.

9. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Love is the Mature answer. However I will say both Kyrie and Love are bad defenders. They will need pieces around them defensively to win.

10. da_juice

da_juice Member

Theres an argument either way (unlike the absurd Thompson for Love questions). Neither guy is a great fit with Lebron, but IMO Wiggins is too similar to Lebron and Lebron is 30. Wiggins is too much of an unknown and Love is a fantastic player so I say make the trade. It be a good deal for both teams.

Although if I were the Cavs, Id actually try to trade for an elite and defensive center and offer Wiggins + anyone not Lebron or Irving for Demarcus Cousins or Drummond or Davis- although it be tough to swing those deals.

11. professorjay

That would be great. But you never know what happens between now and then. It could be another Parsons problem:

Wait for Love, Love decides he doesn't want to come, and Wiggins doesn't pan out. 'Why didn't the Cavs trade for a sure thing? Cavs being Cavs, right?'

Or trade for Wiggins now, Love and the Cavs are successful enough to convince him to re-sign, big 3 for years to come.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Remember when the Cavs passed on Amare because they wouldn't give up JJ Hickson?

13. vator

vator Contributing Member

I've been trying to get excited about this Wiggins kid for 2 years now and I'm just not all that impressed. I see the athleticism and length, but he is not very skilled with the basketball in his hands and until he is, he isn't going to be an elite player. Now on the other hand, when I watch that Greek Freak kid for Milwaukee, I am amazed at what he can do skill wise in addition to his length and athleticism. Wiggins may turn into something special, but I'd trade him every day if it meant I could pair Love with LeBron. I understand them trying to keep him because with LeBron and Irving on the team, he doesn't really have to be skilled with the ball. He can just focus on running the lane and be an elite level finisher and a defensive stopper, but if it take giving him up to get Love, you have to include him.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

This is not even close to the same situation, though.

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

This.

Heck, even if Wiggins turns into a 25ppg guy, it's not relevant.

Love IS a 25ppg guy, who is not a 'leader'. Put him in a team where Lebron and Kyrie are the primary options, and let him play that 3rd fiddle, and it is the role in which he will excel. He'll get 17-18ppg and 12-13rpg while shooting a great percentage from outside, and spacing the floor nicely for the 2 main men.

You don't pass on the chance to be a serious contender for a rookie, no matter how good they might turn out to be.

16. theangrycanary

Wiggins is not a sure bet.

Love is.

You pull the trigger now. At the worst, even if they don't win the championship, Love, Irving, n James get some chemistry, and they can figure out what holes need to be filled, etc.

So Cleveland is probably thinking, do the trade now, win the championship next year.

The biggest problem with Wiggins is that while they are waiting for him to mature into a superstar, James goes downhill, and they get locked into a cycle of mediocrity.

Its like physics or something. You don't just need three stars. You need three stars all within a certain distance of their peak. James n Wiggins are too far apart.

Pull the trigger.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Yeah, Love is an even better fit with LeBron and the Cavs knew a lot more about Hickson than they know about Wiggins now.

18. MD_in_Training

If Love doesn't want to go to CLE as a UFA, then what makes you think he will RESIGN in CLE? The point here is that even if Wiggins doesn't pan out, he will still have a ton of value going into next offseason. Unlike someone like Bennett, Wiggins is considered a generational talent, and will get the benefit of the doubt since he'll be playing behind Lebron and playoff-ready rotation veterans.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Cavs next year owe Lebron $21.6M, Kyrie about $15M. They have team options on Bennett at $5.8M and Waiters at $5.1M, which they have to decided on by the start of this season-- and I can't imagine them giving up on these two this early. Wiggins will be owed $5.6M or so as well on his rookie deal. We are talking about $54M among these 5 guys, adding Mike Miller at $2.7M and roster charges, they will need to clear $10M+ in cap room for Kevin Love's max deal. Can be done, but it's another step that needs to be taken.

If you can get a truly elite player right now, do it. You not only get Love for another year in Lebron's precious prime, you also retain Love's Bird Rights allowing you to outbid competitors. Moreover, you prevent another contending team (GSW or whoever) from landing Love and having that Bird Rights advantage.

And look, if you don't do enough and Lebron stops trusting your judgment, not only might you not land Love, you might lose Lebron, too, since he can opt out after next season.

20. professorjay

Cavs winning a championship would have to guarantee it, right?

Ok, that's really unlikely.

But what if they make the NBA Finals or ECF? That's far more than Love has ever done, and he knows they have a good thing going. Maybe they get the sense they just need one more year under their belt or a few minor pieces to win the chip. Winning solves everything, and everyone that's played w/ Lebron wants to follow him.