1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cavs sign Shawn Marion

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Aug 17, 2014.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

What a load of crap! This is REALLY starting to piss me off! As usual, vets playing on the cheap are all going elsewhere... while we sit on a buncha D Leaguers and unproven euros....
    I've been a huge Morey supporter, but at somepoint you gotta stop filling your roster with 'potental' trade assets and put a freakin team on the floor to win!
    Lebron blah blah blah... imo, if we had offered a more lucrative contract, Marion woulda signed... but no... we spend the money on some euro who avg like 3 points against sub nba level competition... smh!

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Morey doesn't believe that his two stars are enough to win a title without a third star. By his calculation, the not very high probability of landing a third star (and then winning with that third star) is higher than the even lower probability of winning a title by "building a damn team" around Howard and Harden.

He thinks Howard and Harden are very very good, but not nearly "Shaq-Kobe" good.

3. Carl Herrera

Morey likely already offered "more lucrative" contracts using all or a part of the remaining MLE to both Ray Allen and Shawn Marion and got rejected. This is why the initial offer to Pap was the BAE and it took them a long time to finally offer the MLE to Pap. The team clearly was chasing someone else with the MLE before settling for Pap.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I probably go to more games than 99% of clutchfans. I don't care about trying to win a championship. With KD and RW in okc I don't even see how we are going to be better than them. If Morey could get some guys and we could get to 2nd or 3rd round consistently I would be happy. More basketball to go to. I know they charge absurd prices for playoff tickets, but I want to go to more games. As it is I don't even see us getting past the 1st round.

5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

maybe he did... maybe he didn't.... I haven't seen anything with any concrete showing of us trying to procure any of these vets... If we can put up billboards and posters to try to acquire D12/Melo type players, where is the effort to get any of these guys? Not looking for a billboards, but at least open declarations of our desire to get these guys - other than hypothetical possibilities reported by news outlets.... Show me the effort! If Morey is simply offering these guys the vet min - then its a fail.

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Whoops.

7. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

U don't think morey is trying to get these guys?

What would a vet looking for rings have to gain by signing in Houston?

8. SPBR

SPBR Member

Has the league's regressed or has the competition gotten better? I mean Howard and Harden are #1 in their respective positions.

9. da_juice

da_juice Member

Shaq was simply more dominant than Howard and was not only the best center at the time, but the best player. Whereas we have to face Lebron, OKC.

10. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Can you blame Marion? Not one bit! I wouldn't sign with Houston either, mainly because Howard nor Harden are responsible and mature enough to lead. Secondly, because Morey comes of quite desperate to get that third star and has said he does not think our current team is enough which lead to the consequent signing of assets. Thirdly, he knows he will get playing time and of course Lebron is the guy everybody wants to play with when you want that ring.

11. rocketsmetalspd

I thought with Dallas getting a franchise player like Parsons, Marion would staying in Dallas. Oh well I am wrong again.

12. arjun

arjun Member

Varejo, Love, Lebron, Waiters, Irving
    Thompson, Marion, Miller, Ray Allen.

Yeah....thats sick.

13. Carl Herrera

With a lot of free agents, there is not any "concrete" evidence as to teams' unsuccessful effort trying to sign them, let alone any evidence as to the specific dollar amount each team offered. There isn't always a visit to the city because the guy isn't interested enough in a team to actually meet visit with that team or maybe the player feels like he has enough info with which to decide without actually visiting the city.

Melo is just about the only one who did the grand recruiting tour this summer. For the rest of them we got tweets and reports from various media sources about meetings and offers but no actual city/arena visit and "key to a championship formula" stuff.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The rich get richer. LeBron is a player magnet.

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Before. Nah we he's too old.

After he signs. FUUUUU. Why we not sign him?

16. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

So you asking for evidence of morey offering a bigger contract than the vet minimum. But you are stating that marion would have signed a bigger contract of we offered.

I see someone not being consistent to fit a narrative....

17. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

LOL rockets fans

18. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Lebron is the pied piper of basketball. To tell you the truth I don't remember one guy in the history of the NBA that has guys following him to whatever team he's on. Did the greatest athlete of all time Michael Jordan have that effect on the game that Lebron has.

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

MJ was an ******* who punched his team mates.

Lebron couldn't attract FAs the 1st time.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He's an old ring chaser magnet.