1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cavs sign Shawn Marion

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Aug 17, 2014.

1. daherro^_^

daherro^_^ Member

****ing NBA just handing over championships to lebron

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

F all this.

Just offer a vet min to Paulwtfk and call it an end. His quick release jump shot is ideal spacing for Howard and Harden. And we can retain the fanbase

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

So when everyone was upset when Charlotte handed Napier to Miami and that meant LeBron was staying...I guess they can still be upset with Charlotte for an entirely different reason. :p

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>For as good as the Cavs will be this season, just wait until next summer. Teams will rue the day CHA just gave away Haywood contract to CLE.</p>&mdash; David Weiner (@BimaThug) <a href="https://twitter.com/BimaThug/statuses/501035860884590594">August 17, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Due to obscure amnesty rules, Brendan Haywood's contract turns into a $10.5M non-g'teed contract next summer, making it a key trade asset...</p>&mdash; David Weiner (@BimaThug) <a href="https://twitter.com/BimaThug/statuses/501036214607048704">August 17, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>...meaning that CLE can use it to acquire $15M+ of incoming salary via trade or S&amp;T. Throw in some picks, and it could fetch ANOTHER star!</p>&mdash; David Weiner (@BimaThug) <a href="https://twitter.com/BimaThug/statuses/501036430571749379">August 17, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>CHA actually traded Haywood AND A PICK (F/C Dwight Powell, 45th overall) to CLE for Scotty Hopson's non-g'teed contract and cash. Smh.</p>&mdash; David Weiner (@BimaThug) <a href="https://twitter.com/BimaThug/statuses/501038212173688833">August 17, 2014</a></blockquote>

Bill Simmons is already tired of teams helping Cleveland. :)

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KDInf3Exyb4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Why would he play here for vet min? When he could get another chip with LeBron for the same price...

5. da_juice

da_juice Member

Wouldn't be surprised if that contract gets traded for Larry Sanders or Hibbert.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Marion signed with LeBron's Cavs. STUNNER.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Omg. Now I'm getting pissed. Why did Morey not go after the Haywood contract. We really should consider making BimaThug the GM

8. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

So Charlotte could not use that themselves or did they need to trade him to sign Lance?

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Hahahaha!!! Nah, Morey is doing just fine. (But if he and Gersson want another voice in the room, I'd certainly listen to offers! ;) )

Generally speaking, just because the Rockets don't actually consummate a trade/signing doesn't mean that they didn't TRY to get something done on that front.

Specifically as to Haywood, the Rockets didn't want to take on his $2.2M salary at a time when they needed to clear as much cap room as possible to make a run at a third star THIS summer. The CHA-CLE trade happened late on draft night (before the Lebron Return was made public).

The smarter play for CHA (who clearly just wanted to dump Haywood's salary for some cash) would have been to simply wait until teams trying to clear room this summer no longer needed that room. Then, the market demand for Haywood's contract would have increased greatly. They could have kept their 45th pick AND gotten something of some value (beyond cash) anytime between August and next February.

Poor asset management by the Hornets.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

heypartner in rare form this morning! For those who haven't had their sunday coffee, I suggest you turn on your sarcasm meter.

11. crash5179

when has a Michael Jordan owned team ever made a move that made sense? :p

12. heypartner

TL;DR

Too long and complicated as usually. I skipped to your last sentence

So you're saying we can take solace in the fact the Jordan and CHA are worse the Morey and the rockets

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Because having matching contracts isn't close to the team's top issue in trying to acquire a star. Even now, the team has enough non-guaranteed and expiring deals to make the salary work in taking in a player making substantial money. If Morey needs matching money come 2015, his history shows that he knows how to maneuver for the necessary pieces.

The real issues for this team's attempt to add another elite player are 1) having valuable assets to trade in exchange for such a player and 2) in the case of free agency (including sign and trade), being able to convince an elite player to want to play in Houston.

Look at the Bosh situation, for example. The team had lined up the pieces for either a signing or a sign and trade, but Bosh got a bigger $ offer in Miami and decided to go back. It's just hard to get these "max" guys-- many teams chase them and their current teams are allowed to offer more $.

14. heypartner

I'm in Logan airport 1 hr ahead of y'all with yet another 2hr delay

15. crash5179

I hate airports. I'm thankful they exist but I hate them.

16. heypartner

And I love Colorado, but Denver airport makes the IAH "InterGalactic" nickname feel like a literal underestimate in distance to get home.

I am 0-12 now for flight departures on time vs delayed this year. Any delay means I basically can never schedule the SO or friend to pick me up. I just taxi it and bill it to my company now. Don't even bother to accept a friend's offer to pick me up, when I'm 0-12 now

#36 heypartner, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  17. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

So now Morey has got to realize we have two superstars and stop chasing a third, and build a damn team.

18. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

We already paid $4.8 mil to Papa Nick.

19. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Needs more Raymond Felton eliteness

20. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

LeBron is an awesome guy, I sure would rather play with him in Cleveland than for some stat puffers in Dallas.