1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cavs shopping #1 pick

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Scolalist, May 21, 2013.

1. basketballholic

Cleveland is looking for one of 2 things with that #1 pick.

1. An established superstar like LaMarcus or Love, et al.

or

2. A trade down in the top 5 that allows them to still get Len and an extra pick, perhaps a pick in next year's deep draft...or an extra talent...

I think Cleveland winds up taking Len #1 and that's it. Not unless they can package Waiters and Thompson to Cle for #4 and then I still think they take Len #1 and whatever SG is left between Oladipo/McLemore at #4. And frankly the odds of Charlotte giving up #4 for Thompson/Waiters...not likely.

2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

That would give Cleveland the crappiest #1 pick since...Greg Oden?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

3. Pragmatician

Pragmatician Member

I'd give up Parsons for Michael Carter-Williams in a heartbeat.

4. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Williams-only fan?

5. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Literally almost every time you post in this thread, I get a little less confident in the Houston Rockets fanbase.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Why "almost"?

7. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

There's a rumor on today's espn's truehoop (too lazy to go back and find the link) that the Wolves are offering #9+#26+Derrick Williams to move up in the draft, presumably for Oladipo. And so far no one is interesting.

So i guess that's a guide mark for those who were asking what does it take to get one of top picks, and if OKC could trade up.

8. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

They had a similar "rebounding center", also with Cleveland ties. What they need is a defender / rim protector. And they need such a player to pair with LaMarcus Aldridge. Which is why all the LMA trade sounds highly unlikely to me.

9. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Good point. Every time, I mean.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Link

The Cleveland Cavaliers are down to a final list of three players for the No. 1 pick and hope to make a decision by Thursday morning, according to a source.

The list is expected to include Alex Len, Nerlens Noel and either Otto Porter or Ben McLemore. Chad Ford reported on Monday that it could come down to Len and Noel.

But the Cavs are also exploring trading the top pick since they’re not in love with any one player who in a “normal” year wouldn’t be a top pick. According to a source, Cleveland offered the No. 1 pick, Tristan Thompson and Dion Waiters to try and land Minnesota’s Kevin Love. But new Timberwolves president Flip Saunders won’t move Love.

The Cavs are fond of Thompson and Waiters -- the latter being one of the top six rookies last season -- but Cleveland would love to get an All-Star forward to pair with All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving.

The problem for Cleveland is there aren’t any takers for the top pick at the moment.

Elsewhere, a source said Oklahoma City was interested in packaging its two first-round picks (Nos. 12 and 29) and Kendrick Perkins for a top-five pick. But the Thunder have had no takers either.

Meanwhile, Dallas is openly shopping its No. 13 pick, but is having a hard time finding a quality deal.

There are a still a number of moves that could occur before the draft, like Golden State trying to purchase a second-round pick. But as of Tuesday afternoon, there was a lot of talk, but not much action.

11. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

#12+#29+Perkins for a top 5 pick. haha. talk about lowball.

12. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

my gawd this is a weak draft. Noel is gonna be a bust imho

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Doubt they trade it; just looking for offers. They are heavily considering Alex Len at 1

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Overrating? How about you stop underrating Parsons? So what if Parsons will make 10M? Its not like he isnt worth it, how many sfs out there can shoot 3s, drive inside, hit mid range Js, make plays for everyone AND still play average defense? You'd have to look at superstars to get that kind of versatility, and at only 24 he can still get better.

And youd give up both Parsons and Asik for a pick? Really? How many players in last year's draft is worth both Parsons and Asik? And this draft is way weaker than last year, this years top pick wont make top 5 last year.

15. Pragmatician

Pragmatician Member

16. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

17. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Kyrie is injury prone, so I can understand wanting to pickup a good backup.

18. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

The key there is the level of protection on that 2014 pick. It could be a solid offer for the Pelicans, or just horrible.

Anyway, who would the Pelicans pick? Porter? Len? I think they might be better off just waiting to see who drops.

19. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

I know it's not a popular opinion but I'd cash in on Parsons now. Throw in a 2nd and maybe they will take Royce's contract. With first pick draft noel.

Probably won't happen for many reasons including the fact Parsons is friends with Dwight.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Barring a trade, <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Cavs&amp;src=hash">#Cavs</a> will take Alex Len with No. 1 pick. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Magic&amp;src=hash">#Magic</a> expected to trade No. 2 pick. Mock Draft 8.0: <a href="http://t.co/MILc7Px4wr">http://t.co/MILc7Px4wr</a></p>&mdash; Chris Sheridan (@sheridanhoops) <a href="https://twitter.com/sheridanhoops/statuses/350300443303358464">June 27, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>