1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cavs New Co-Owner Talks about things (including Rockets, Yao)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2009-06-04/17204415782.shtml

New Cavs co-owner Huang Jian Hua was interviewed in Chinese:

1. Asked if he's interested in Yao Ming: All of the owners like Yao and so does he. But it's not up to Yao, not himself. Yao seems to like Houston a lot. Besides, by league rules, you can't talk to him until he opts out next year.

2. He was interested in buying Rockets, but Alexander wanted too much money, $500 million. According to Forbes latest article, Rockets are valued at $466 mil. Cavs $477 mil. He thinks both he and Les are in good positions. It will be difficult to find a Chinese sports star as talented, big, smart and well-spoken as Yao.

3. He thinks Cavs can keep Lebron. He's got strong local connections having grown up nearby. They can offer him more money, and they did everything to make him comfortable. For example their new training facilities are great. It's like a 5 star hotel whereas the Rockets training facility is more like a hostel.

4. He likes the Cavs business operations. Particularly that they have a great TV contract for 10 years, the best in the NBA besides the Knicks'.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I find the business-type comments odd, at best. First, the Rockets training facility a hostel? We all know where it is - it's the court right in the Toyota Center, and there's certainly nothing wrong with it.

Second, the idea of investing in sports franchise in the current global economy, as a big profit making investment, seems a little off. And then to have negotiations break down over a less than 5% price difference, given the Yao-chinese factor, seems unlikely. Even moreso, though, if there were actual, serious negotiations going on, I'd be shocked if this guy wasn't prohibited by some type of non-disclosure agreement from divulging what Les really wanted.

3. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

500 Mll? Need to see if I can get a few fund raisers together to get the money to buy the team.

4. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Lol. As someone else suggested, everyone on CF could just pool their money together and make decisions based on the results of the polls :p

5. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Good, maybe he will convince the Cavs to trade us LeBron for Yao when LeBron balks at signing an extension.

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Poor Chinese businessman. He forgot to watch these promo videos before putting millions into the Cavs:

(slightly NSFW)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ysmLA5TqbIY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ysmLA5TqbIY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oZzgAjjuqZM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oZzgAjjuqZM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Or he could just have visited the city.

1 person likes this.
  7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I somehow doubt the validity of this article. I have never seen an owner be as candid with numbers as this guy. Did he really disclose the fact that Les asked for $500M for the Rockets? And did he really insult the Rockets practice facility? That just doesn't seem like good business practice to me. Why would you immiediately burn the bridge of a colleague like that when you haven't even owned the team for a month? These Chinese sites just don't seem trustworthy to me.....especially with all the crap SINA has pulled by not checking facts, reporting random comments stated on here AS facts, straight-up making things up, etc.

8. tshay

tshay Contributing Member

Has anyone been to the Rockets training facility? I was surprised by this quote:

9. redao

redao Member

Sina has done a lot accurate journalism, including breaking the news of this new Cavs owner.

10. Fatty FatBastard

How in the Hell are the Cavs the 5th most valuable team? I know they have LeBron, but this value seems highly likely to plummet if and when he leaves.

I can't imagine anyone buying the Cavs over the Rockets.

11. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

Those investor made a huge mistake making the deal now knowing Lebron is not staying there after 2010. Especially after what happened this season. I just do not see him staying there in Cleveland.

12. redao

redao Member

1. New York Knicks
    2. Los Angeles Lakers
    3. Chicago Bulls
    4. Detroit Pistons
    5. Cleveland Cavaliers
    6. Houston Rockets
    7. Dallas Mavericks
    8. Phoenix Suns
    9. Boston Celtics
    10. San Antonio Spurs

Complete List

13. Fatty FatBastard

I saw that. Personally, I think Clevelands value is vastly overrated.

14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

he made the decision after the cavs just swept philly and atl.. he prolly really thought the cavs were gonna win it all this year and lebron is gonna stay.. he rolled the dice and lost big time..

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Of course the same could be said for the Rockets if Yao leaves.

16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yao's loyalty >>>>>>>>>>>>> lebrons loyalty

plus new owner is chinese too :D

17. Fatty FatBastard

Actually Houston has been around the top 5 in value since the Championships, Yao or no Yao.

18. 523744

523744 Member

Seems like this article is full of BS. Specifically the part of how he said Les wanted $500 million for the rockets, no real businessman would actually talk specifics like that.

19. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Do you think "co-owner" generally means 50%? That means Rockets are actually worth 932M? Or does the city own a portion as well?

20. Christopher

Christopher Member

before Lebron the Cavs were a wasteland. Sure our team relies a lot on the marketability of one player, but not nearly as much as the Cavs do.